Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poll: What option on the new Mini would you like to see most?

• 3.5" HD/Dual 3.5" HD

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • SSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quad core processor

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Aluminum enclosure

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Dedicated graphics

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Blu-ray option

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Smaller form factor/footprint

• HDMI

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • FW800

• User upgradable HD, RAM, GPU, etc.

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Do not list a whole set of system specs you want, just vote on the one you want the most.

EDIT: Finished the poll. You can vote now. I've never made a poll before; I didn't know the thread showed up before the poll did.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Is that possible? If not, I guess you can just write in what multiple things you want, and vote for your favorite.

yes, but you have to edit your poll...

Lower price, If ther mini were $400 even at the current specs the market would DOUBLE!

PaulexPC

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
#1 lower price would be good and
#2 a built in SD card reader would be nice.

I know I am in the minority on these. I am just joe consumer , web browsing, a few word documents and yes I have a digital camera and like to edit my kids photos. I think a smaller footprint would actually be too small!

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
You missed the feature I'd like most, one that limits the number of new threads about when the new mini is coming and what features it will have.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
N wireless.

I never thought i'd own one in it's current configuration - but it will get here today-saturday. Who knows! LOL!!

But it's going to record TV, then it will drop in to replace the kids eMac next May when it's recording job is done (and can record regular TV in that job).

For me personally - to by one to replace my MBP, it would need better GPU (i use aperture), and more umph!

JnDRader

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
If I had to pick a single feature it would be the processor. For the price I feel it's just out dated. It doesn't even have to be quad-core, just a later version of the Core2-Duo. BluRay would be great but we need playback support first. Updated graphics would be nice too. As for user-replaceable stuff, that just isn't what the mini is; other than RAM anyway. I'd love a tower at iMac prices but that just isn't going to happen IMO.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Pretty simple, really.

1. An up-to-date faster processor.
2. Larger HD.
3. At least 2GB of RAM on the higher end model, standard.
4. New enclosure, would be nice.

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
There are many things I would love to see on the new mini (if it ever comes out!). For me I think that dedicated graphics and an HDMI port would be great because then I could use it to drive my flat screen and play HD content. I know I can hook it up now, but it doesn't output the kind of resolution I'm interested in.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Definitely a drop in price, $50 would do... $100 would be awesome. Also user upgradable HDD,RAM and GPU.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
I was torn between "Dedicated Graphics" and "User Upgradable HDD,RAM and GPU". In the end I choose "User Upgradable HDD,RAM and GPU" because I figured if you've got that you've already got dedicated graphics. :D

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Dual screens

The possibility to have two screens connected (without using one of those usb-to-dvi thingies).
The MacBook manages to support both the built-in and an external using the same GPU as the mini, so it should not be a problem for even the current minis to have two DVI ports.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Aluminum on the sides of top case, plastic is the top..

Ahh. Well, I meant aluminum like the MBP's; full aluminum enclosure, or like the Mac Pro's (though not necessarily a cheese grater design). On the other hand, a mini Mac Pro would look pretty cool (I know I've seen pictures of one around here somewhere).

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I voted for "Quad core processor."

A lot of tasks depend on the processor.

Few tasks besides games depend on the GPU.

The Mac mini is already upgradable, just not user-upgradable.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I voted for "Quad core processor."

A lot of tasks depend on the processor.

Few tasks besides games depend on the GPU.

The Mac mini is already upgradable, just not user-upgradable.

Are the new Intel ones not user upgradable at all? I had a G4 and installed my own RAM in it. Apple shipped me one with less than I paid for and they sent me a replacement stick to install myself.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Are the new Intel ones not user upgradable at all? I had a G4 and installed my own RAM in it. Apple shipped me one with less than I paid for and they sent me a replacement stick to install myself.

You can upgrade the ram, processor and HDD on the Intel powered models.

iPhil

macrumors 68040

You can upgrade the ram, processor and HDD on the Intel powered models.

Like gehrbox said you can upgrade your Macs,But @ your own risk e.g. if you break a part off the mobo (motherboard) and try to get apple to fix it.. Since you opened the machine you pay for the repairs out of your wallet... :eek:

If you decide to do your own upgrades,then do it carefully and slow.. Find excellent take-apart guides and print them off and read thoroughly..

And get the right tools for the job... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.