Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I have a fairly new MBP (about 1 month old), and when I put it to sleep via the power button, with the clamshell open, it takes about 30 seconds to go to sleep. If I close it, it goes to sleep immediately. Is this normal?

On my old Ti Powerbook, if I put it to sleep via the power button, it would sleep almost immediately.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Must be due to a process which is taking time to be killed!
Are you running something in the background?

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008

SMC fan control is about it that I know of. I'll have to check when I get home. I noticed today that it also takes some time to eject my thumb drive

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008

OK, so I looked at system processes and noticed that there are a few PPC processes running. Is this normal on a new C2D machine? I have the latest MBP, but migrated from a TiBook.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
OK, so I looked at system processes and noticed that there are a few PPC processes running. Is this normal on a new C2D machine? I have the latest MBP, but migrated from a TiBook.

Yes thats normal... but... they should be really few! Why dont you list em' here so that we can have a look at it!

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Ok, powerPC Processes:
Magic Menu
Microsoft AU Daemon
Archive Assistant Scheduler
MagicMenuHotKeyDaemon (Not Responding)
StuffItAVRDaemon

After typing the above up I thought to quit the process that wasn't responding and sleep worked after a few seconds. Anyone know what this process is, if/how I can remove it?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
thought to quit the process that wasn't responding and sleep worked after a few seconds

Success! So are these here because you used the Migration Assistant from a TiBook? I would recommend some organization and then a Erase & Install.

Also thought I'd chime in a suggest a hot corner to sleep the screen; mine takes less than a second on my MBA.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
I used to have a problem w/ mine going to sleep. Usually it would take a while and sometimes it wouldn't sleep at all, just stay in a zombie state which I had to hard reset the computer to fix. I ended up disabling "safe sleep" through the terminal and now it sleeps instantly, all the time. It just won't remeber what windows I had open at the time but I don't care.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Exactly. So does anyone know if I can remove this process without harming anything? If so, how?

Seems you have Stuffit Deluxe and.... er..... probably some HotKey Software!

If Im correct.... you'll have to experiment by uninstalling these apps one-by-one and check! Also, the apps might be conflicting so check for that as well!

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Seems you have Stuffit Deluxe and.... er..... probably some HotKey Software!

If Im correct.... you'll have to experiment by uninstalling these apps one-by-one and check! Also, the apps might be conflicting so check for that as well!

Ok, so I figured out that Magicmenuhotkeydaemon is a part of Stuffit Deluxe. Does anyone know if I can remove just this part of SID?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, so I figured out that Magicmenuhotkeydaemon is a part of Stuffit Deluxe. Does anyone know if I can remove just this part of SID?

Why dont you do something: In Sys Pref, accouunt, login items check for 'Magic Menu'. If its there just delete it! Reboot.

Also, mention the contents of your startup list here!

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Why dont you do something: In Sys Pref, accouunt, login items check for 'Magic Menu'. If its there just delete it! Reboot.

Also, mention the contents of your startup list here!

Got it removed. Now I dont have a hot key for sutffit (Up near clock), but that doesn't bother me at all... My other startup applications are:
iTunes Helper
Microsoft AU Daemon
Archive Assistant
StuffitAVRDaemon
System Events
smcFanControl

Thanks for your help AppleInk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.