Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeit2dahouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B0012YW1AU

I'm taking a Digital Media class on my study abroad trip this semester and one of the requirements for the class is that "Students will also need a portable external drive for storing files, a 120 gigabyte drive will be perfect."

I'm not computer savvy whatsoever but would this be ideal for my class? We will be working on video projects and such.

Also, I have a MacBook.. would it still work/be ideal with a MacBook?

Thanks guys!

takeit2dahouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks!

Also, I read somewhere that the drive had to be reformatted to be used on a Mac or something? Is that difficult to do?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Nah... But firstly, Mac OS X can read/write to HFS+ (default OS FS), HFS, FAT32 among the most common and ONLY READ from NTFS!

So you need to reformat your xHDD only if its already not in the FAT32 or HFS+ File System!

To reformat:
Connect the drive|Open Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities)|Select the drive in the left pane|Erase... from the Volume Format select HFS+ or FAT (remember... Win can read and write {upto a max of 4GB} on FAT32 but cant even recognize HFS+) and click 'Erase'

chantilei

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
mac help!

Nah... But firstly, Mac OS X can read/write to HFS+ (default OS FS), HFS, FAT32 among the most common and ONLY READ from NTFS!

So you need to reformat your xHDD only if its already not in the FAT32 or HFS+ File System!

To reformat:
Connect the drive|Open Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities)|Select the drive in the left pane|Erase... from the Volume Format select HFS+ or FAT (remember... Win can read and write {upto a max of 4GB} on FAT32 but cant even recognize HFS+) and click 'Erase'

Hi, I just bought a freeagent go of 500 GB for my MacBook, but it's not compatible. I just read your quote, but I'm so new to apple that I have no clue what to do or where to start. Can you help me please?

n3utronic

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009

To reformat:

Apple Ink;

What do you mean by "Win can read and write {upto a max of 4GB} on FAT32"?

I am thinking of partitioning my FreeAgent to HFS+ and FAT32 format. FAT32 so that I can use them for Windows --> Mac or Mac --> Windows transfer while I need HFS+ for Mac fast file indexing.

If what I understand is correct, allocating partition space >4GB on FAT32 will be useless as Windows can only read/write max up to 4GB only?

I am confused~

n3utronic

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
Hi, I just bought a freeagent go of 500 GB for my MacBook, but it's not compatible. I just read your quote, but I'm so new to apple that I have no clue what to do or where to start. Can you help me please?

Hi chantilei;

Welcome to the world of Mac. Since you are using MacBook, I am assuming that you have Spotlight feature on your book.

What you need to do is below to get started:

Enable spotlight (by pressing Apple+Space bar) --> type in "disk utility" --> select "disk utility" application file (not doc files etc) to launch it --> then follow the instructions as per given by Apple Ink.

tylergrain

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
External Hard Drive problems

Hi - Just picked up a seagate freeagent drive and found myself with the same problem. I tried to follow the advise from the thread, but Disk Utility isn't even recognizing the drive. I have a powerbook G4. Can anyone offer any advise?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Apple Ink;

What do you mean by "Win can read and write {upto a max of 4GB} on FAT32"?

I am thinking of partitioning my FreeAgent to HFS+ and FAT32 format. FAT32 so that I can use them for Windows --> Mac or Mac --> Windows transfer while I need HFS+ for Mac fast file indexing.

If what I understand is correct, allocating partition space >4GB on FAT32 will be useless as Windows can only read/write max up to 4GB only?

I am confused~

Er.. No!

What I meant was that you won't be able to read or write a single file greater than 4GB in size.... So files like DVD images which are 4.4 GB in size can't be written or read!

miss konivolski

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
is the seagate terrabyte compatible with mac book pro

hello

I bought a seagate terabyte for my mac book pro and i have followed the normal procedure to format it to my lap top but its still not working. Can anyone help me on this one

thank you ;)

dkleinw

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
I myself just got the Seagate 1.5 Tet to add space for my timecapsule.

I noticed, the drive came with Windows backup software and other stuff. When I tried the simple erase, I got a system error that the drive could not be erased or reformatted into HFS. I think the existing partition setup for Windows was interfering.

So, I repartitioned the drive into HFS. This wiped out the FAT partition. Then I could use the erase/format into HFS.

Hope this helps.

prliyts

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Compatible Mac Book Air external disk drive

Hi Guys,

Computers have never been my forte. Ask me about medicine or dentistry and we are good to go but when it comes to computers I am totally out!!! That is why we own Macs. So this is what happened. The original external disk drive that I purchased was not used for about a year and I traveled with it. The cover on the cord that connects the USB cable to the drive was fraying but still worked. I tried to get a hub that had power so that I can put a fan, printer cable etc on it. The Air would not recognize it unless it is the only thing that is plugged onto the port. I went to talk to the Mac Genius and they said that I need an external disk drive that would be compatible with the Air but he wouldn't tell me what that was. Any ideas?:confused:

mdjwheatley

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011

To reformat:

I did that, now is it just a blank hard drive? (as the free agent title has been removed and i know longer have instructions or anything on there) If it is, to transfer information to playback on another computer do you just plug it in to the other computer and it will automatically work?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You really haven't given much information. What is the "other computer"? Is it a Mac? Then yes, it will work. If it's Windows, it won't work unless you formatted it FAT32 (called MS-DOS in Disk Utility) or download MacDrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.