PDA

View Full Version : Browser Wars IV

MacBytes
Jan 3, 2004, 05:54 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Browser Wars IV (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040103185417)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

nuckinfutz
Jan 3, 2004, 06:00 PM
The Browser Wars will never be over. There is always a new way to deliver and view content. This article didn't even delve into the new features of Omniweb 5.

Microsoft gained critical mass like they do with every product and then they sat on browser innovation. This is a journey not a destination competiton in perpetuity is a requirment.

dricci
Jan 3, 2004, 06:52 PM
I used to own browserwars.com, but then cyber squaters got it when I forgot to renew on time. I kick myself every day for letting that one slip by me.

Nermal
Jan 3, 2004, 07:01 PM
Ouch. That would've been a great one to have.

iShater
Jan 3, 2004, 08:24 PM
I am currently using Netscape as my main browser, I used to prefer it to IE until AOL bought netscape. Now that I am back on the Mac, I am back to Netscape.

On the PC side the war is mainly over, unless you are a linux user.

Mav451
Jan 3, 2004, 08:31 PM
haha i don't think the war is over.

I use Firebird, and with the exception of it not handling java well (i.e. Yahoo Java games), it is far more secure (no open Active X vulnerabilities); NO ADS!

I use a special script that blocks even ON THE PAGE ads! Even the ones on the main page of Macrumors.com are blocked.

And of course tabbed browsing. There is no way i'm going back to IE (of course unless M$oft copies Firebird, which will probably happen down the road haha).

mac15
Jan 4, 2004, 12:00 AM
IE is dead on both platforms, it will evolve into MSN. I'm a big fan of both Safari/Omniweb. As soon as 5 comes out, I'll be right on it enjoying them funky tabs. If Omniweb had tabs now I'd be on it. Its just far to pretty/powerful not to use. But the wars are heating up again, its gonna be great

MrMacMan
Jan 4, 2004, 12:23 AM
That article... So short...

Doesn't even list features... He basically says 'I still like Camino... so there Camino wins'

:confused:

There are atleast 4 other good mac browsers out there... what the hell man.

nickmcghie
Jan 4, 2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
The Browser Wars will never be over. There is always a new way to deliver and view content. This article didn't even delve into the new features of Omniweb 5.

Not only did it not delve into the features of Omniweb, the article did not even as much mention the name Omniweb. Neither did it mention Firebird.

A very biased and poorly written article (if you can even call it that).

nuckinfutz
Jan 4, 2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by nickmcghie
Not only did it not delve into the features of Omniweb, the article did not even as much mention the name Omniweb. Neither did it mention Firebird.

A very biased and poorly written article (if you can even call it that).

True. I've been using Firebired for months now. At first I thought that IE would be hard to leave but the truth is a Browser is a display device and given the right features and proper Web Standards support I don't see myself getting locked into any one particular browser. Hooray for standards!!