PDA

View Full Version : Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory

MacBytes
Jan 3, 2004, 05:54 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040103185432)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

innervision
Jan 3, 2004, 11:15 PM
that sucks... i was going to buy one of those...

MrMacMan
Jan 4, 2004, 12:28 AM
Ouch... Thats tough... 3G models killed eh?

:o

SeaFox
Jan 4, 2004, 12:39 AM
Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory...

they decided it would be too popular and didn't want a repeat of the iTrip shipping fiasco.

c'mon, somebody say it:
This means new iPods with built-in FM tuners!

Kingsnapped
Jan 4, 2004, 01:00 AM
This means new iPods with built-in FM tuners!

There would be a lot of angry people out there if that happened.

Like me.

I thought that I would have to settle with no car playback when I got my brand new iPod on the 20th. If that's released, there will be a lot of people who bought an iPod with their Christmas money, or as a gift who will feel cheated by apple.

iJon
Jan 4, 2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Kingsnapped

Like me.

I thought that I would have to settle with no car playback when I got my brand new iPod on the 20th. If that's released, there will be a lot of people who bought an iPod with their Christmas money, or as a gift who will feel cheated by apple.
welcome to the world of apple and technology in general,

iJon

Ramsos
Jan 4, 2004, 04:59 AM
^ So True.

Wes
Jan 4, 2004, 05:07 AM
Oh no! I spent $400 on an iPod, Apple BETTER not upgrade their products! That's just cheating me! We have to hold back the industry 6 months while I get my money's worth!

</sarcasm> If that was how the tech industry worked, we'd be on 100mhz computers.

Scottgfx
Jan 4, 2004, 05:18 AM

Like me.

You're right. I'm sick and tired of Apple releasing all this *new* crap. I have the 10GB 2nd generation iPod, and just imagine my seething anger when the 40GB models came out. I mean, How dare they! They shoud not have sold ANY iPods this Christmas, if they knew a new one was just around the corner. The consumer need to be protected from innovation like that!

Now, on a more rational and logical note...
What does an iPod with a tuner have to do with your car stereo? Did you mean FM Transmitter?

rdowns
Jan 4, 2004, 05:32 AM

Like me.

What does an FM tuner have to do with playback in your car? This is not the FM transmitter to play your iPod through your car radio, it's a way to listen to radio ON your iPod.

As for an FM transmitter, I'd recommend a cassette adapter. At least here, way too hard to find an available frequency.

Dreadnought
Jan 4, 2004, 06:00 AM
So, why couldn't they just release it for the 2nd and 1st generation iPods? I would buy one, I have a 2G. I have been waiting on such a product from the start!

newnomad
Jan 4, 2004, 06:33 AM
I think it would much more appropriate to have DAB radio rather then FM radio on an ipod; But the situation is a bit divided, with Europe supporting it, and US choosing for propriatary (payed services) solutions. Unless apple also taps into this evolving market.... (include in .mac?) Maybe Apple could make an European Ipod with DAB, to balance out the Itunes music store delay for us :)
But most likely this will all be for the next generation ipods, together with firewire over airport....

J-Squire
Jan 4, 2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Scottgfx
You're right. I'm sick and tired of Apple releasing all this *new* crap. I have the 10GB 2nd generation iPod, and just imagine my seething anger when the 40GB models came out. I mean, How dare they! They shoud not have sold ANY iPods this Christmas, if they knew a new one was just around the corner. The consumer need to be protected from innovation like that!

Well said! I would have to say that Kingsnapped's original post has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard!! People bought iPods at christmas because they are one of the hottest things on the planet. If they wanted an FM tuner, there are other MP3 players with that capability. Consumers typically understand that a new product may actually include more features than the one it replaces.

slowtreme
Jan 4, 2004, 07:11 AM
I thought that I would have to settle with no car playback when I got my brand new iPod on the 20th. If that's released, there will be a lot of people who bought an iPod with their Christmas money, or as a gift who will feel cheated by apple. Apple fans are the only people I know that FEAR new product releases. Always waiting for the next big item, while hoping nothing replaces something they own now. Users always being worries about resale value, instead of enjoying what they own NOW.

Be happy that Apple produces limited product lines which artificially inflates resale value. If something new comes out that you want to buy, you can unload your almost new item at an almost new price, and buy the new one.

Get over it.

rdowns
Jan 4, 2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Dreadnought
So, why couldn't they just release it for the 2nd and 1st generation iPods? I would buy one, I have a 2G. I have been waiting on such a product from the start!

Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine that the bulk of all iPods sold are the 3rd generation and therefore, the bulk of the projected market.Why develop a product for an older design that is approaching obsolescence?

Jerry Spoon
Jan 4, 2004, 08:14 AM

Like me.

If apple does come out with a built in fm tuner, admit it, you're going to want that new model...so you'll dump your "old" model off before dust has had a chance to settle on in and invest a little more $$$ (because you probably didn't get quite what you paid for the old on) on the newer model.

I think apple is a bunch of freakin' geniuses.

Ted13
Jan 4, 2004, 08:59 AM
That anti-inovation screed was pretty funny.

That said, I wish Apple would either provide themselves, or give assistamce to 3rd parties to provide:

1) Recording capabilty (good quality, stereo -- with the ability to plug in high quality external mikes). The iPod could completely take over the DAT market, which is currently mainly supported by musicians who need a high quality portable device to tape themselves.

2) FM radio receiver.

3) I DO NOT want a a FM transmitter: there is already a marvelous tool out there that works with 1 through 3G iPod's and it is called the line out/in. The problem is that the vast majority of car radios out there do not have a line in. However, I would never buy such crippleware, and with the explosion in MP3 players, I think that sooner or later car radio manufacturers will get religion and start including line in. In the meantime, there are cassette adapters...

Ted

zedwards
Jan 4, 2004, 09:15 AM

Like me.

Please, it is amazing how whiny and spoiled people are when the GDP of countries in the world that are the price of the iPod. Chistmas to others is getting a piece of bread to eat, or living to their 30th birthday!

Anyways...sounds like Apple has plans for an FM tuner of their own.

Raiden
Jan 4, 2004, 10:19 AM
I have a 2G 10 Gig iPod, and if they updated the ipod so it has a FM transmitter and reciever, I would totally upgrade. One and a half years is a good ipod upgrade time if you ask me.

And all you christmas ipoders, dont complain. You still have a incredible ipod, no need to whine.

rdowns
Jan 4, 2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by zedwards
Please, it is amazing how whiny and spoiled people are when the GDP of countries in the world that are the price of the iPod. Chistmas to others is getting a piece of bread to eat, or living to their 30th birthday!

We're here discussing Apple, its products and rumors. What the hell do conditions in third world countries have to do with this? Sorry, but the analogy just doesn't fly with me.

greenstork
Jan 4, 2004, 10:59 AM
Hopefully, this means that an FM radio receiver is built-in to next generation iPods. For that matter, AM radio too. All I really want to do on my iPod that I can't do right now is listen to baseball games, which are of course, on AM.

Dippo
Jan 4, 2004, 11:11 AM
Unless I missed something, this isn't a rumor about Apple adding an FM tuner to the iPod!

Gus
Jan 4, 2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by rdowns
Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine that the bulk of all iPods sold are the 3rd generation and therefore, the bulk of the projected market.Why develop a product for an older design that is approaching obsolescence?
From what I understand from the post at ipodhacks.com, they had already spent the time and resources designing the 2G receiver, so that is a moot point.

From experience, I know that once Apple releases a new product in its grid (iBook, Powerbook, etc.), it completely removes mention of the older product, but the remotes for the 2G iPods were on there until recently. I wonder why Apple stopped selling them? Surely there are MANY 2G iPod owners out there who may need a replaccement or such someday.

Anyway...

Regards,
Gus

mrl14
Jan 4, 2004, 11:22 AM
WTF, I sent in this info dammit! ;) I got no credit!

tny
Jan 4, 2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Ted13

That said, I wish Apple would either provide themselves, or give assistamce to 3rd parties to provide:

1) Recording capabilty (good quality, stereo -- with the ability to plug in high quality external mikes). The iPod could completely take over the DAT market, which is currently mainly supported by musicians who need a high quality portable device to tape themselves.

2) FM radio receiver.

3) I DO NOT want a a FM transmitter: there is already a marvelous tool out there that works with 1 through 3G iPod's and it is called the line out/in. The problem is that the vast majority of car radios out there do not have a line in. However, I would never buy such crippleware, and with the explosion in MP3 players, I think that sooner or later car radio manufacturers will get religion and start including line in. In the meantime, there are cassette adapters...

Ted

You've obviously never used the iTrip. Sound quality is about equal to good FM reception, in a very crowded spectrum. Only problem is occasional interference.

rdowns
Jan 4, 2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Gus
From what I understand from the post at ipodhacks.com, they had already spent the time and resources designing the 2G receiver, so that is a moot point.

I don't think it's a moot point. They may have designed it but haven't yet spent money producing and marketing it. If a 3rd gen one is not available to produce, it probably makes producing and marketing a 2nd gen version moot. Without the economies of scale they would achieve selling a 3rd gen version, they decided it wasn't worth it.

mainstreetmark
Jan 4, 2004, 11:52 AM

No way... I'd never use something like this, ergo, I'd be ticked if I had to pay for it. This isn't a universal feature, so it should be an add-on and they have those.

2) FM radio receiver.

No way. Not only for the cost reasons stated above, but what's the point of moving into the portable digital music market if none of your 10,000 songs are want you intend to listen to.

Oddly enough, I do, but again, it's not a universal feature. There are lots of people who would never use it, and therefore, shouldn't have to pay for it. I use the iTrip. It's a pain to change stations, but at least I don't have any wires. I also think that more people probably would rather wirelessly transmit to a nearby main stereo than go around recording things.

Ted

greenstork
Jan 4, 2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Dippo
Unless I missed something, this isn't a rumor about Apple adding an FM tuner to the iPod!

Yeah but last I checked, the site was called MacRumors, not BelkinRumors. Therefore the implications on Mac products is what most readers care about, I'd hazard to guess.

macnews
Jan 4, 2004, 12:17 PM
This does and doesn't shock me. I was worried Griffin was going to cancel their new iTrip. It took three months to get it to me - and only then after I called and threatened to cancel.

I would like to see apple put in an FM reciever to the iPod. Leave the transmitter to third party companies like Griffin.

szark
Jan 4, 2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Dreadnought

Because their product relied on the remote control, and Apple apparently has discontinued selling the remote for the older iPods. So you could only use Griffin's receiver if you already had a remote.

Photorun
Jan 4, 2004, 01:13 PM
Odd if this is all based on the remote. As the owner of a 2G iPod with remote, it's cool and all (the remote, I'd go to say the iPod is beyond cool) but I never use it, it's just sitting off to the side of my desk right now. Even driving I can adjust stuff without looking on the iPod or (dangerous but if need be) hold it in front of me and switch songs/playlists. I'm having a hard time grasping of it's only because Apple is discontinuing something most iPod users never used much anyways.

humangod
Jan 4, 2004, 01:17 PM

2) FM radio receiver.

Ted

maybe that would fly with you. not with me. my aftermarket head unit in my car does not have a cassette player, nor do i want a cassette player. i have a line in port, but it is on the rear of the head unit, only accessible if i take the whole thing out, which i'm not going to do for an ipod. most head units these days do not have cassette players in them.

almost everything on my car can remotely be controlled. from my under-car neons, to my stereo, to my doors and locks, and many other things. i do not like wires, so a built in fm transmitter is a great solution. having some annoying wire running from your ipod to your deck's i/o port is ugly and stupid.

so, an fm transmitter would be great.

brianbobcat
Jan 4, 2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by szark
Because their product relied on the remote control, and Apple apparently has discontinued selling the remote for the older iPods. So you could only use Griffin's receiver if you already had a remote.

Yah, and the problem with that is....?

When I originally saw this product, I freaked out. It was exactly what I had been looking for, a little bigger than I had hoped, but still what I wanted. It originally said "SHIPPING SUMMER 03." That then became "shipping SOON." How come Griffin couldn't have listed the status of the iFM as "postponed" or "delayed?" I went from having this on my list of birthday presents (my birthday is in June) to putting it on my X-mas list, and now to have to find something else. I was even so glad to see this product, I went out and bought the remote FROM APPLE! I wouldn't mind them making this for the 1 and 2 generation ipods, I have the original 5GB and haved loved it. Griffin makes great products but really screwed the pouch on this one.

beefcake
Jan 4, 2004, 01:39 PM
I just love it when people complain that Apple cheated them when they buy a product right before it is updated. Yes, the timing sucks, but if Apple hadn't cheated the previous line of buyers, those complaining now would be stuck with inferior hardware. It brings up the question of what's more important, what you have, or what your neighbor has. I own a 3rd Gen iPod and a Titanium PB and am not looking to replace either anytime soon. However, I love seeing new, drastic updates, because that means when I am in the market again the product will be that much better.

Apple never forced anyone to buy their products, nor did they sell it with a guarantee that it wouldn't be updated 5 minutes after you walked out of the store.

Wonder Boy
Jan 4, 2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by tny
You've obviously never used the iTrip. Sound quality is about equal to good FM reception, in a very crowded spectrum. Only problem is occasional interference.

ive used itrip, i think its garbage. my best experience was with a tape adapter. no interference that way.

jabester10280
Jan 4, 2004, 02:25 PM
Darn, I was going to get one of these for my 2G 10GB. Oh well. :(

jettredmont
Jan 4, 2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
As for an FM transmitter, I'd recommend a cassette adapter. At least here, way too hard to find an available frequency.

You know, I must just have really bad luck with vehicle sound systems, but we've had five cars in the past eleven years, and NONE of them would take a cassette adapter (and yes, I've tried multiple adapters from multiple companies...)! We even called the stereo manufacturers and were told (by two separate manufacturers) that their equipment was just too "finely tuned" to accept one of those devices.

Ah, well.

On a somewhat related note, I had a CD changer which hooked right into the antenna line, switching off the standard reception when the changer was going. Worked like a dream (albeit with FM-quality sound ... you just can't get CD quality through an FM antenna!) Would be nice if this kind of option was available for iPods ...

tyson12zoll
Jan 4, 2004, 03:55 PM
Seems that griffen has a rep for previewing things that don't make it to market

ibookin'
Jan 4, 2004, 04:08 PM
I wish they would put front-mounted line-ins on car stereos. I have seen them, but they are usually on the really, really, cheap casette units you get from auto part stores, and not any decent head units. Actually the Mini Cooper has a line-in option, too, but this is more the exception than the norm.

What I'm going to do is, when I get my car radio installed, have them run a minijack to RCA cable through the dash (somewhere, I'll have to figure out a place) to the head unit so I can just plug in my iPod with that.

Failing having a line-in, the tape adapter will have better sound and less noise than a FM transmitter, but there is the wire to deal with and your car must have a tape deck. The FM transmitter is convenient, but the sound quality is not so good, and if you live in an area where a lot of the FM band is used, like Los Angeles, you will get a lot of interference.

SeaFox
Jan 4, 2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Dippo

Ring, ring. Pick up the clue phone.

Why would Belkin design, announce, market, and take preorders on a product they knew there was demand for, then cancel the whole thing just before production was to start?

Because Apple's going to release an iPod in the not too distant future that has an FM tuner, perhaps? Giving them a product with a market that can only shrink (as people replace their old 3G and before iPods for new ones with radio tuners built-in).

I only said the new iPod thing orginally as a joke. Ya'know how people jump up with ways off asserting crazy rumors based on the actions of third party developers. :rolleyes: Like if the Titanium Bookendz were suddenly dropped and people said "oh, this means G5 Powerbooks!"

MrMacMan
Jan 4, 2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by SeaFox
Ring, ring. Pick up the clue phone.

Why would Belkin design, announce, market, and take preorders on a product they knew there was demand for, then cancel the whole thing just before production was to start?

Because Apple's going to release an iPod in the not too distant future that has an FM tuner, perhaps? Giving them a product with a market that can only shrink (as people replace their old 3G and before iPods for new ones with radio tuners built-in).

Not at all.

Why couldn't the company have made a huge goof saying they could make this device and just not come through?

Apple could make new iPod's... but so far we are only hearing Rumors about the 'Mini-iPods' Not the Regular iPods.

no.

singletrack
Jan 4, 2004, 06:47 PM
Perhaps they didn't bother with an FM tuner because everybody in Europe is buying DAB radios now anyway. What's the point of a digital music player with FM? Apart from that, FM portable radios can be bought for peanuts. You get them free with cornflakes.

Also, the last 3 cars, going back 14 years, I've had have all had line in on the stereos but then all our TV's have SCART connectors and we've not had analogue phones for 8 years or so in the UK. The US can be sooo backward technology wise at times. ;-)

brianwells
Jan 4, 2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by tny

I must concur that the iTrip works quite well for a personal FM transmitter. We live near NYC and have little interference despite the many radio stations in the area.

That said, I must also agree that an FM transmitter can not equal the sound quality of a cassette adapter. Of course, with the transmitter I don't have the extra wire running to the radio and also don't have to worry that the cassette deck won't like the adapter.

The iTrip also impresses people way more than a cassette adapter would :-)

Scottgfx
Jan 4, 2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by singletrack
The US can be sooo backward technology wise at times. ;-)

You're right. If we here in the US were smart, we would all be using Sinclair Spectrums. ;)

Scottgfx
Jan 4, 2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by brianwells
I must concur that the iTrip works quite well for a personal FM transmitter. We live near NYC and have little interference despite the many radio stations in the area.

How well an FM transmitter works also depends on a good receiver. In my `03 Honda, the antenna is the back window glass, and the radio has a terrible time discriminating between frequencies. The Belkin FM transmitter I bought is about worthless. Three of the four frequencies are used in my area.

smegdude
Jan 5, 2004, 02:18 AM
if apple added fm transmitters to the ipod, they would be banned from selling them in the UK where itrips are illegal. I don't think apple would just drop a market like that, especially when all the ipods they sent there for christmas were soldout.

Rootes
Jan 7, 2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by humangod
i have a line in port, but it is on the rear of the head unit, only accessible if i take the whole thing out, which i'm not going to do for an ipod.

simple thing to do is to take your head unit out and then fit and lineout cable from there to where you ipod will live, glovebox, ash tray etc etc..

put the head unit back and mount the free end of the lineout to where ever you want to put your ipod

only need to do this once, no great shakes just to plug the iPod into the free end...

Si

ps did you say remote controlled neon underlights?