PDA

View Full Version : ATI X1900 XT for the taking

sirnh
Jul 31, 2008, 02:36 PM
I hope this sort of posting isn't against the rules...

So I have an old X1900 XT for the 1st generation Mac Pro that I cannot sell on craigslist. I am willing to let it go for just about anything as long as someone pays for the shipping. I won't be able to ship it until next week, but whoever gives me the first best offer (even if it's just shipping) by Sunday Noon EDT can have the board.

By the way, I live in the coastal NH area, so local Mac Users can just meet to pick it up.

tobyg
Jul 31, 2008, 03:05 PM
Heya sirnh... I remember your name from when we were both having issues with the sata ports on the mac pro, way before bootcamp came out.

But anyway, this post will probably not be allowed. You don't have access to the marketplace. There is a marketplace forum here but there are restrictions on who can access it (up from 100 to 250 posts, and minimum 6 month old account). I used to have access but no longer do.

Anyway, you're about 200 posts shy of being able to post there. Why can't you use craigslist? Or are you saying you tried and just haven't gotten any takers?

sirnh
Jul 31, 2008, 03:56 PM
I just haven't received any interest when I did post a couple of times. I even asked for as little as $100 for the card... so at this point, I just want someone who will use it... if I can make a few $ off of it, so be it. Right now it's taking shelf space - da*ned big card.

nanofrog
Jul 31, 2008, 08:29 PM
FleaBay is an option, though maybe not the most desirable. :eek:
If you can't sell it, you can always keep it for an emergency. ;)
Graphics cards do die unfortunately. :(
IIRC, you're running two newer cards (2x HD3870's) aren't you? :cool:

sirnh
Jul 31, 2008, 09:51 PM
FleaBay is an option, though maybe not the most desirable. :eek:
Graphics cards do die unfortunately. :(
IIRC, you're running two newer cards (2x HD3870's) aren't you? :cool:

Yup... finally figured out how to get 3DMark 06 to run without hanging scanning the system... I get a nice score of 15000... I am seriously considering getting a 3870 x2 to run in the other slot and seeing how that works.

tobyg
Jul 31, 2008, 09:55 PM

That's true. If your system was ordered with the x1900 and you don't have a 7300GT to fall back on, keep it. If you need to reinstall Leopard, you might need it. I haven't kept up with the 3870 but what's the minimum Leopard version required to work with the 3870? If your Leopard DVD doesn't have that minimum version, you may need to pop in a x1900 or 7300gt to get things working again.

sirnh
Jul 31, 2008, 10:00 PM
That's true. If your system was ordered with the x1900 and you don't have a 7300GT to fall back on, keep it. If you need to reinstall Leopard, you might need it. I haven't kept up with the 3870 but what's the minimum Leopard version required to work with the 3870? If your Leopard DVD doesn't have that minimum version, you may need to pop in a x1900 or 7300gt to get things working again.

It's a little more complicated than that... I actually bought a new 2008 Mac Pro a few weeks ago. My OLD Mac Pro was already upgraded to an 8800GT, and has a 7300 for a backup - just in case you need to reinstall leopard. I plan on selling that one really soon, once I can take pictures of it.

So that old Mac Pro had 3 cards in it total, the 1900 is truly unnecessary at this point.

tobyg
Jul 31, 2008, 10:06 PM
It's a little more complicated than that... I actually bought a new 2008 Mac Pro a few weeks ago. My OLD Mac Pro was already upgraded to an 8800GT, and has a 7300 for a backup - just in case you need to reinstall leopard. I plan on selling that one really soon, once I can take pictures of it.

So that old Mac Pro had 3 cards in it total, the 1900 is truly unnecessary at this point.

I won't sell my old x1900 knowing how these cards are. I had it replaced by Apple soon before I got my 8800, so it was working fine. However, I know that in a year, 6 months, 3 months, maybe even 3 days of use this card will implode on itself and die. I don't want someone coming back to me saying the card is broke already. So I'm just keeping it as a backup to reinstall Leopard if need be. I have my 7300 gt also but a friend is borrowing that one as his 1900 died and he needed something reliable until he can get a 3870.

I wouldn't even sell my x1900 for 10 bucks, knowing it WILL die eventually on whoever gets it.

longofest
Jul 31, 2008, 10:08 PM
I hope this sort of posting isn't against the rules...

Sorry, but this IS against the rules in that it is outside of the Marketplace (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132) forum.