PDA

View Full Version : most annoying internet chat phrases

vniow
Jan 3, 2004, 11:22 PM
lol

I don't know why but I cringe every time I see that phrase used, especially when I hear it being spelled out on the bus by junior high students, ugh....

What are your internet conversation annoyances?

tpjunkie
Jan 3, 2004, 11:31 PM
i hate when people use "u" instead of you, or "2" instead of to or too, or "r" in stead of "are"....things like ROFLMAO are both stupid and pointless, because honestly, who cares that you're laughing that hard? we all got the point when you said "lol" like 5 times...

Sun Baked
Jan 3, 2004, 11:33 PM
Anything that would make ebonics look cultured an refined.

Waluigi
Jan 3, 2004, 11:42 PM
Add these two to the list

brb (be right back)
g2g (got to go)

--Waluigi

DavisBAnimal
Jan 4, 2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Sun Baked

That's a pretty low blow to put ebonics in line with LOL or ROTFLMA. I'm not impressed.

(Ebonics is a legit english dialect, better known to linguists as AAVE or African-American Vernacular English - it's not a bunch of slang spoken by a bunch of rappers with a bunch of shiny necklaces - it's actually one of the more culturally potent english dialects around).

Davis

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 12:06 AM
I don't mind short ones like "g2g" or "lol". (I always thought that meant "lots of luck", but thats another story). I just hate when people use very long phrases like "TIARSPAYSNUTBIIHTU" that take a million years to figure out. (btw, who can figure that out?)

Kwyjibo
Jan 4, 2004, 12:07 AM
I don't really have any prolem with any of these perhaps your all a bit uptight .... if people over use LOL or brb or g2g i can see what your saying but its not bad once or twice per convo.

mnkeybsness
Jan 4, 2004, 12:32 AM
i hate almost every acronym that people use. i know some people who seriously must make up their own... they always end up being like this: bsdfbts... WHAT THE ___ DOES THAT MEAN!

ps i just made that up... i don't think it stands for anything.

eyelikeart
Jan 4, 2004, 12:42 AM
when people type "kewl" :rolleyes:

if that even counts...

Kingsnapped
Jan 4, 2004, 12:53 AM
"Brb" and "g2g" are quite useful, no reason to hate. I just don't like talking to people like my 12 year old cousin who prefers to talk using as few letters and as little punctuation as she can.

People who use spellings like "kewl" and rawk in a serious tone need to be beaten.

manitoubalck
Jan 4, 2004, 12:55 AM
Even though I use them sometimes
Acronyms Siht me off,

Also spelling words incorrectly to avoid them being ****ed out, gets to me, but only a small amount. (I'm aware of the irony here)

rainman::|:|
Jan 4, 2004, 01:19 AM
if something is really funny, i type "lol". if it's devistatingly funny, i'd type "lol lol". beyond that, i don't use the acronyms much. IMHO is one that i use, bbi5 in chat, not much else. i don't really find myself annoyed by any in particular, i suppose the really long ones are obnoxious. occasionally i come across one that i've never heard, and that's really annoying.

paul

Counterfit
Jan 4, 2004, 01:21 AM
AFAIK, IMHO, and IMO just seem to really bug for some reason. Then there's "ne1" and "no1", "u" and anything else that is more a sign of laziness than a willingness to save me bytes.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 01:24 AM
My brother always signs off with "l8r." Drives me nuts. Yet he's real conservative with the smilies. I always feel uncomfortable using them with him. But that's just because he has no sense of humor. :\

ollywilson2003
Jan 4, 2004, 02:02 AM
Not really a chat phrase BUT I FIND IT ANNOYING WHEN PEOPLE FELL THE NEED TO ALWAYS TYPE IN UPPER CASE. Not really sure why people do it....

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 02:24 AM
I don't mind shortcuts like "u" because that is laziness, like Awimoway said, and I can relate to that. But, anyone that says "kewl" is stupid and obviously not lazy because it takes just as long to type "kewl" as it does to type "cool", if not longer. So there ya go.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 02:31 AM
Actually, tpjunkie said that. I wouldn't want to steal anyone else's due credit. ;) (But I agree!)

Edot
Jan 4, 2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by vniow
lol

I don't know why but I cringe every time I see that phrase used, especially when I hear it being spelled out on the bus by junior high students, ugh....

I don't mind the use of widely known acronyms. They make conversations move faster, especially if someone is a slow typer. However, the use of obscure acronyms are a pain, and seem to lead to more typing to figure them out than if the person would have just written it out the first time. Why use "don't" when it is really "do not"? "lol" serves the same purpose.

scem0
Jan 4, 2004, 03:15 AM
overuse of leet/l337.

"Ub3r Haxxorz is l337 u n00b".

Stuff Like that.

And another thing that annoys me is when people disregard conventional capitalization. For example, "HeY gUyZ, WaNnA dO sOmEtHiNg?".

I don't mind people replacing 'I' with 'i' though. Somethings I'm too lazy to bother pressing the shift key for something so short but that usually isn't the case.

One thing that I could imagine would annoy many is saying 'pwn' instead of 'own', but I am guilty of doing that, so I obviously don't mind.

lol, brb, g2g, ttyl, etc are all fine. Its when you get into the lesser known ones, or you start making them up, that it gets to be problematic.

0l< gUyZ |'/\/\ 0uTz0r$ ttyl TOGHGH! ROFL *wink wink*

:rolleyes:

scem0

SiliconAddict
Jan 4, 2004, 03:20 AM
[Tongue Planted firmly in cheek mode=ON]
Ya I just hate it when people say NASA instead of Nation Aeronautics and Space administration. Or CIA instead of Central Intelligence Agency or NORAD instead of North American Aerospace Defense Command. How about users who use the term Mac when its suppose to be Macintosh. And don't get me started on those dang computer techs and their acronyms.
[/Tongue Planted firmly in cheek mode=OFF]

You guys picking up a pattern here? These acronyms are shortcuts just as there are shortcuts in everyday language. How many of you use contractions every day? That's another form of linguistic shortcuts. I use UR and BRB, CU, PITA, LOL, among others all the time. Just as I don't type out "I'm winking at you" but ;) IMHO oops in my humble opinion, but you knew that so why did I just type it, as long as you are accurately conveying the message across to the user on the other end it shouldn't matter what language you use. If it irks you that's your prerogative. But that doesn't make it any less of a valid method of communication.
However there is a time and a place for slang and shortcuts. We use Lotus Sametime at work to communicate between offices. My manager is based out of Chicago and I always stay formal when chatting with him. Again a time and a place for everything.

Now if you want to talk about annoyances lets talk 1337 speak. That isn't a shortcut or some "better" method of communication. Its just a stupid way for people to feel like they are, as latergator116 said, kewl. If I ever have another online chat with someone who tries to talk like this I'm going to shove a dictionary down their throat.

kettle
Jan 4, 2004, 05:07 AM
That's the badger!

:)

oh, and I like the way MAC users are super forgiving when people use MAC when they really meant Mac. OMG!

:eek:

edesignuk
Jan 4, 2004, 06:11 AM
OMG everyone here must h8 me! :eek:

...sorry...

trebblekicked
Jan 4, 2004, 07:11 AM
i hate l8r, rofl. i obviously like lower case i's.

...and so long as we're talking about it, what does IIRC mean?

pivo6
Jan 4, 2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by trebblekicked
i hate l8r, rofl. i obviously like lower case i's.

...and so long as we're talking about it, what does IIRC mean?

IIRC=If I Recall Correctly.

These abbreviations don't bother me too much, as long as it doesn't dominate a conversation.

Wardofsky
Jan 4, 2004, 07:44 AM
The new breed of SMSers brings more confusing abbreviations.
Certainly I can't stand LOL being said online, but when people use it in normal conversation?!?
I don't get any of the new ones;
TTLY
What?
CUL
Hey?
I admit I subs. 2 for too/to and r for are and u for you.
But I've never used lol.

Most of my friends on MSN have funked up usernames like : _-+**fU ll**+-__.
I hope they never become graphic artists.

000111one111000
Jan 4, 2004, 07:44 AM
Pretty much the only ones I use are brb and k. Other than that, I don't use any.

And some of you might like this. :) sorry if it's been posted already.

AOLer Translator (http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html)

have fun :)

enoch

5300cs
Jan 4, 2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
when people type "kewl" :rolleyes:

..and replace the 's' at the end of words with 'z'. That does a good job of pissing me off. 'Bookmarkz' or 'd00dz' for example.

King Cobra
Jan 4, 2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 000111one111000

No!! You bastard, I wanted to post that. :D

Actually, I consider "lol" as "Lots of luck," even though it's not, just so I don't get pissed off. (In other words, when people type "lol," no big deal.)

I should have saved it, but Entertainment Weekly had a whole chart of about 70 or so such abbreviations for online chat...pretty damn pointless, if you ask me.

"afk" makes little sense, since you wouldn't be able to type it. (Away from keyboard)

"brb" makes me think of *burping*...

I like: "lmao" "rotflmao" or any commonly used suggestively positive abbreviations.

"GWI" = my ISP, which I royally "H" + "8" !!!

G5orbust
Jan 4, 2004, 11:59 AM
lol and any intentional mispelling of words ("wat", "u", "ur", etc.).

OutThere
Jan 4, 2004, 12:41 PM
Lke, dis thread is so tottly spma i mena commmonn gys wat si dis1!!1!111!!!!!!1!$ dose ne1 no wat im takin bouut?//????//? u gyus r a;; frekas neway i mn wateva

G4scott
Jan 4, 2004, 12:53 PM
I have a friend (kinda) that will go down her entire buddy list when she goes to bed, and will say:

***GoOD~*~nIte*** :D ;)

It's kinda annoying

Durandal7
Jan 4, 2004, 02:31 PM
I personally dislike all of them. I am willing to forgive the use of them on IRC when time is of the essence and you need to tap out a reply in about 5 seconds but there is no excuse on a site like this. You can take all the time you want constucting a reply on a forum site, the use of abbreviations is merely a sign of laziness and tends to discredit the poster.

WinterMute
Jan 4, 2004, 02:37 PM
I really hate it when people put capital letters in the middle of words to make them look up-to-date...;) ;) ;)

The only acronym worth its salt is TANSTAAFL, true then, true now.

edesignuk
Jan 4, 2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
TANSTAAFL
:confused: :confused: :confused:

WinterMute
Jan 4, 2004, 02:56 PM
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Go read your Heinlein...:D

voicegy
Jan 4, 2004, 03:07 PM
I don't use any of them. I'm a lover of the English language, and even though such things as LOL or BRB have made it into the world of online chat and such, the only things that I use on any regular basis are smiley icons once in a while.

But if I were to choose which ones I detest more than others (and I detest all of them), these stand out:

oic (Oh, I see) Pure laziness. You "see" what?! Just something to type while waiting for me to respond to such drivel.

'sup? (What's up, or What's going on?) Well, isn't that a pleasant greeting? And if I would respond with what actually IS "going on" at the moment (Well, thank you for asking, not much at the moment...just waiting for the dryer to finish up and I'm going shopping later on...) I'd most likely get the response OIC.

kewl (Cool, or Hey, that's fine.) One of the oldest slangs in the book (how long has "cool" been around and has not lost its original intent or meaning as the slang? Many, MANY years, happily...I find "Cool" to be very acceptable) this has now not been deemed "good enough", and has been hacked by those who think purposeful misspelling in itself is somehow "cool". Anyone over 30 who uses such a phrase instantly loses respect from me.

edesignuk
Jan 4, 2004, 03:20 PM
...guess I'm just a lazy s.o.b then...

jihad the movie
Jan 4, 2004, 03:22 PM
wut
sum1
sumtin
wundrin
o
y?
u
2morow
boi
waz^
tmmg - that made me giggle

Basically, if I take the time to use proper grammar and spelling with somebody, I expect the same in return. I feel like they could care less and just rush conversations with me because they have more important things to do. I don't mind it so much with text messages however, because those are a pain with most phones. But on AIM, or in an email, or even in a hand written note. Come on. Use the language that people understand.

Macmaniac
Jan 4, 2004, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know what AFK means?
I see people use it all the time on Bnet, I know it means to be away, but what does the AFK stand for?

edesignuk
Jan 4, 2004, 03:43 PM
AFK = Away from keyboard
AFAIK = As far as I know (you will see more of this round here than AFK)

Kingsnapped
Jan 4, 2004, 03:45 PM
I think l33t sp33k or whatever is used more sarcastically in todays internet. Sometimes when my friends send me links to videos of the Star Wars kid or something, I launch into massive amounts of it just to laugh at them. If anybody uses that seriously in a conversational format, they need to get b337aN.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by WinterMute
The only acronym worth its salt is TANSTAAFL, true then, true now.

It's hard not to like KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid

Royal Pineapple
Jan 4, 2004, 03:57 PM

enoch

TEH SUM OF DA SQUAERS OF DA L3GS IS EQUAL 2 DA R OF DA HYPOT3NUS3

mactastic
Jan 4, 2004, 03:58 PM
lol

You're not riding the bus from BC to Cabrillo are you? I think I might go insane doing that!

Roger1
Jan 4, 2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ollywilson2003
Not really a chat phrase BUT I FIND IT ANNOYING WHEN PEOPLE FELL THE NEED TO ALWAYS TYPE IN UPPER CASE. Not really sure why people do it....

Being the computer technician that I am, when I get AN EMAIL IN ALL CAPS IT MEANS ITS AN EMERGENCY AND I SHOULD DROP WHATEVER EMERGENCY I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON AND TAKE CARE OF THEIR EMERGENCY BECAUSE THEY HAVE WORK TO GET DONE!!!!!! AND THEY GRIND TO A COMPLETE HALT IF THEIR COMPUTER IS BROKEN!!!!! SO I DRIVE UP TO THE OTHER BUILDING AND PLUG THEIR MOUSE IN FOR THEM!!! WHICH THEY ACCIDENTLY UNPLUGGED WHEN THEY FUMBLED AROUND UNDER THEIR DESK TRYING TO TURN ON THEIR PORTABLE HEATER!!!! WHICH IS PLUGGED INTO THE SAME POWERSTRIP AS THEIR PII DESKTOP RUNNING WIN98 IS PLUGGED INTO!!!! AND THEN THEY WONDER WHY THE SCREEN SUDDENLY STARTED FLICKERING!!!! SO I TELL THEM IT'S FROM THE POWERLINES OUTSIDE THE BUILDING!!!!!

Ahem, sorry for the rant. I'm on the last day of my vacation, and I am NOT looking forward to going to work tomorrow. Of course if the blizzard keeps up, I may get a snow day tomorrow :cool:

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 04:21 PM
[Ahem, sorry for the rant. I'm on the last day of my vacation, and I am NOT looking forward to going to work tomorrow. Of course if the blizzard keeps up, I may get a snow day tomorrow :cool: [/B]

I hear ya. but don't worry! Macworld Tuesday!

Roger1
Jan 4, 2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
I hear ya. but don't worry! Macworld Tuesday!

I HAVEN'T PAYED MUCH ATTENTION RECENTLY!!!! IS IT ON TECHTV THIS TIME???????:D

mactastic
Jan 4, 2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Roger1
I HAVEN'T PAYED MUCH ATTENTION RECENTLY!!!! IS IT ON TECHTV THIS TIME???????:D

YES (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53606)

mac15
Jan 4, 2004, 04:52 PM
I hate ROTFLMAO, its stupid. There a few others that just are just plain annoying but telling you would be like giving away my secret powers or something now wouldn't it ;)

Roger1
Jan 4, 2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by mactastic

KEWL!!! :cool:

Nermal
Jan 4, 2004, 05:13 PM
Pretty much the only ones I use are brb and k. Other than that, I don't use any.

enoch

TAHTS SO FUNY AND SO TRUE
THIS1!1! OMG WTF LOL MASAEG BROUGHT 2 U BY DA AFOR3M3NTIONED TRANSLA2R1!!!

... Sorry

techfury90
Jan 4, 2004, 05:22 PM
I know one highly annoying 11 year old who read AOL's terms dictionary. It is highly annoying, I hear her say like SYS, which I never hear anymore! I also find some lazy people say bi instead of bye. Its annoying crap.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 05:31 PM
I HAVEN'T PAYED MUCH ATTENTION RECENTLY!!!! IS IT ON TECHTV THIS TIME???????

But the keynote isn't live, is it? (Sorry for the off-topic.)

vniow
Jan 4, 2004, 08:48 PM
You're not riding the bus from BC to Cabrillo are you? I think I might go insane doing that!

I did last semester, luckily I have a job and a van now, plus I'm moving out soon so yay!

King Cobra
Jan 4, 2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Does anyone know what AFK means?
I see people use it all the time on Bnet, I know it means to be away, but what does the AFK stand for?

The following time around, RTFP (read the ********** post) before asking...I actually answered your question before you asked: :p :p

Originally posted by King Cobra
"afk" makes little sense, since you wouldn't be able to type it. (Away from keyboard)

Interesting...I can fairly easily withstand ALL CAPS posts without a problem.

Wes, message me again, this time, with all caps. I dare you... :D :p :eek: :eek: :eek:

voicegy
Jan 4, 2004, 10:35 PM
KEWL!!! :cool:

ACK!!!!

Waluigi
Jan 4, 2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by DavisBAnimal
That's a pretty low blow to put ebonics in line with LOL or ROTFLMA. I'm not impressed.

(Ebonics is a legit english dialect, better known to linguists as AAVE or African-American Vernacular English - it's not a bunch of slang spoken by a bunch of rappers with a bunch of shiny necklaces - it's actually one of the more culturally potent english dialects around).

Davis

Your kidding, right?:confused:

--Waluigi

voicegy
Jan 4, 2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Waluigi
Your kidding, right?:confused: --Waluigi

No, he's not:

http://www.linguistlist.org/topics/ebonics/

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 11:04 PM
In any country, there are many dialects. Some differ from the majority or official dialect more than others. Black English Vernacular may seem weird to you, but it's a legitimate dialect and sounds like normal speech to many Americans.

However, the notion that dialects other than the majority dialect should be taught in schools is a much newer concept. When someone first proposed to teach "Ebonics," as they termed it, the right wing went into overdrive making fun of it, and Ebonics became the butt of a lot of jokes. (I personally think there are 10 times as many people working overdrive to put down the perceived insidious evil of political correctness as there are people practicing it, but that's really off-topic.)

We shouldn't make fun of French Creole spoken in Louisiana. We have no business ridiculing the way Jamaicans speak English. Likewise, we have no business telling urban blacks how they can or cannot talk. When we undertake to teach only the accepted, midwestern American dialect as the only correct way to speak, we are practicing an age-old form of discrimination.

Sorry about the off-topicness.

Sun Baked
Jan 4, 2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
No, he's not:

http://www.linguistlist.org/topics/ebonics/ Yes...

It's a culturally potent english dialect that would get you into Harvard, and do quite well for you in the world of old money and suits.

I'd feel really safe having my $1000/hr Harvard Lawyer speaking ebonics at all the meetings, and in the courtroom, while he tries to keep my ass out of trouble.

---

So yes, ebonics would sound cultured and refined to compared to some of the proper English spoken by the highly educated elite. :confused:

revenuee
Jan 4, 2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
When we undertake to teach only the accepted, midwestern American dialect as the only correct way to speak, we are practicing an age-old form of discrimination.

I don't discriminate ... i hate ALL people equally ... LOL HAHA :D ;) just kidding guys

anyhow .. back to topic

i like LOL and j/k

I don't like IMHO just because i don't like the humble part .. .don't be humble .. say what you want to say and stick by it firmly. For that matter, why bother saying In my opinion, if your not backing it up with sources, obviously it's your opinion

Things like FOCL ,and ROCLMAO (or whatever it is), IIRC, and others, is more of a matter of not knowing what they are, and then i have to look them up on the internet to figure out what the hell is being said.

Royal Pineapple
Jan 4, 2004, 11:27 PM
ebonics may be a true english dialect, however when one uses it they sound uneducated. ebonics is usually laced with profanity, rendering it useless for cultured and refined conversation.

revenuee
Jan 4, 2004, 11:28 PM
Yes...

It's a culturally potent english dialect that would get you into Harvard, and do quite well for you in the world of old money and suits.

I'd feel really safe having my $1000/hr Harvard Lawyer speaking ebonics at all the meetings, and in the courtroom, while he tries to keep my ass out of trouble.

---

So yes, ebonics would sound cultured and refined to compared to some the proper English spoken by the highly educated elite. :confused:

Actually ... it has been shown that poorly educated people speak much better english then the academic types.

They use simple and basic grammatical structures to communicate ideas. While academics, through metaphors and extended vocabularies or more likely to experiment with their language, and in turn use less proper english then their less educated counter parts

SOURCE: Adler. R. Rodman G,. Understanding Human Communication,. ., New York:Oxford University Printing Press., 2003

EDIT : And academic are more likely to use Jargon, and Abrevations, leaving only those in the know to understand what they are trying to say

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple
ebonics may be a true english dialect, however when one uses it they sound uneducated. ebonics is usually laced with profanity, rendering it useless for cultured and refined conversation.

What's your point? That people who speak it are inferior? Or are less worthy of your esteem because they weren't born in families that could afford to send them to prep schools where they could learn the queen's English? Is education inherent or a consequence of oppurtunity? Are you cultured and refined? What does "cultured and refined" mean? Is it somehow a better way of life?

Not meaning to start a war here. There's just a heck of a lot of assumptions built into what you say. :)

Sun Baked
Jan 4, 2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by revenuee
Actually ... it has been shown that poorly educated people speak much better english then the academic types.

They use simple and basic grammatical structures to communicate ideas. While academics, through metaphors and extended vocabularies or more likely to experiment with their language, and in turn use less proper english then their less educated counter parts

SOURCE: Adler. R. Rodman G,. Understanding Human Communication,. ., New York:Oxford University Printing Press., 2003

EDIT : And academic are more likely to use Jargon, and Abrevations, leaving only those in the know to understand what they are trying to say Hmmm.... poorly educated vs. a more academic type.

So you're saying that George Bush is a better speaker than Al Gore, when you break down their speech patterns.

revenuee
Jan 5, 2004, 12:13 AM
Hmmm.... poorly educated vs. a more academic type.

So you're saying that George Bush is a better speaker than Al Gore, when you break down their speech patterns.

Bush was chosen over Gore wasn't he :D

As far as breaking down speech patters, i'm not far enough in my studies to be able to do this, so for now i can only quote my Communication Studies text book.

I can see from your first sentence that you are skeptical of the information i present, and i can respect a counter view, but it's going to take more then just your opinion to convince me.

Durandal7
Jan 5, 2004, 01:28 AM
What's your point? That people who speak it are inferior? Or are less worthy of your esteem because they weren't born in families that could afford to send them to prep schools where they could learn the queen's English?

You do not need to go to prep school to learn proper English. All one needs to do is pick up a book or newspaper on a regular basis. The last time I checked even the downtrodden have access to reading material via public libraries.

It's best for people to use a standard form of English, it greatly simplifies international communication. Besides, let us not forget that there are accepted definitions for words in the English language and there is no compelling reason to invent new usages or syntax.

MacBandit
Jan 5, 2004, 01:29 AM
I pretty much can not stand abbreviations of any kind but do find them sometimes necessary.

Awimoway
Jan 5, 2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Durandal7
You do not need to go to prep school to learn proper English. All one needs to do is pick up a book or newspaper on a regular basis. The last time I checked even the downtrodden have access to reading material via public libraries.

Sure, but what incentive do they have to do that? Why would they want to emulate people who look down on them?

(And, the "prep school" thing was sarcasm, but judging by your use of "downtrodden," I imagine you are no stranger to sarcasm, either. ;) )

It's best for people to use a standard form of English, it greatly simplifies international communication.

Heh. I just watched My Cousin Vinnie. The part where the judge can't understand Pesci when he says "youths" like "yoots" cracks me up every time. Sure, there are settings when it is helps for everyone to speak the same. But that doesn't mean we ought to denigrate those whose dialects are not our own. Nor does it mean that we should stamp out those dialects, erase them from the face of the earth in the name of simplicity. Dialects are more than sound. Wrapped up in the words, tone, construction, grammar, and etymology of a dialect are the identity and history of a culture, a people. Surely you don't want the country or the world to adopt a single monoculture, right?

Besides, let us not forget that there are accepted definitions for words in the English language and there is no compelling reason to invent new usages or syntax.

Here I completely disagree. Definitions are fluid, not fixed. Certain groups may choose to "accept" one meaning or another, but ultimately who has any authority to tell the whole English-speaking world what they can or cannot mean by a given word? A lot of people have some sort of religious faith in a canonized version of the English language with fixed rules of usage, grammar, and word meaning. But no such canon exists. Language is as alive as the people who use it. It's an outgrowth of our biology. It evolves with us and will continue to evolve so long as humans live.

Plus, there are many compelling reasons to invent new usages and syntax. New concepts, new realities, new meanings arise every day. Why do you think dictionaries get updated? New words enter the language, old ones fall out of use because they are no longer needed. And although many self-appointed grammarians stick their fingers in the proverbial dike to prevent it, extant words change their meaning all the time. And did you know that Black English Vernacular has a tense that does not exist in any other English dialect? There are certain meanings you and I cannot express because we are not fluent in BEV.

So, yeah, I would say that that there are many compelling reasons to keep reinventing the language, just as we have been doing for thousands of years.

revenuee
Jan 5, 2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
I pretty much can not stand abbreviations of any kind but do find them sometimes necessary.

Why is abbreviations such a long word anyway? :D :rolleyes:

sketchy
Jan 5, 2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by scem0
overuse of leet/l337.

scem0

I refuse to even read stuff like this. I just skip over it. I think lol is silly too. If I read something funny I just put this down : heh

if it is really funny I do this hehehehe.

I think it is more personable then "lol" If you have to think about what it means before you type it, there is a better alternative.

I think the only one I use is 'brb' I do not even use 'don't' or other contractions. I think that is from writing papers in college. I may suck at grammer, but I know that is bad.

dave

sketchy
Jan 5, 2004, 11:43 AM
Here I completely disagree. Definitions are fluid, not fixed. Certain groups may choose to "accept" one meaning or another, but ultimately who has any authority to tell the whole English-speaking world what they can or cannot mean by a given word? A lot of people have some sort of religious faith in a canonized version of the English language with fixed rules of usage, grammar, and word meaning. But no such canon exists.

There are certain meanings you and I cannot express because we are not fluent in BEV.

So you are defending the entire "shizzle" snoop dog speak?

And are there other words that can be used to express those meanings?

---

and if no such canon exists why are we judged on grammar. In any language you speak or write you are judged by your command of grammar. they do not teach dialects in school because dialects usually counter the 'proper English' argument.

One of the reasons non educated communicate "better" then educated people is audience. In general - educated types communicate with educated types. Or speak like they are communicating with intellectual equals. The more you know, the more likely you are to use it in conversation. It is like tech support (or the super geeky).

If you know your computer stuff I would treat you as an equal and give you the techy answer. If you are a "commoner" I will dumb it down and make analogies you can understand. - "Pizza box = Computer" - kitchen appliances, etc. And when you get frustrated, they get to go through with keyboard shortcuts.

When public speaking you are supposed to speak to the lowest common denominator (LCD). When the LCD outnumbers the college educated they will be given an advantage in your equation. of who speaks more "effectively." the usage of small words can have significant detrimental effects on your ability to learn and understand advanced ideas.

Many educated types do not alter their language for the LCD

Dave

Neserk
Jan 5, 2004, 04:01 PM
I like: LOL, ROFL, ROFLMAO, IMO, IME, etc.

It is when someone types a whole sentences using nothing but phonics: u=you, r=are, etc. that I have problems.

I see "kewl" and "phat" part of a generations slang. I have no problems with it. Although I don't use it.

Sun Baked
Jan 5, 2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by sketchy
So you are defending the entire "shizzle" snoop dog speak?

Dave You mean you don't see snoop dog or any of the illustrious members of Murder, Inc. heading Citicorp anytime soon?

They've all proven themselves capable of making, spending, investing, and handling million dollar bills...

Let's hand them billions/trillions of dollars of people's life savings to play with. :D

It's not like their speech patterns and the image they project would keep them from a high ranking international banking position. :rolleyes:

AppleMatt
Jan 5, 2004, 04:43 PM
kthxbye>

Pisses me off no end

AppleMatt

mactastic
Jan 5, 2004, 10:59 PM
I did last semester, luckily I have a job and a van now, plus I'm moving out soon so yay!

Congrats! Hope Cabrillo's treating you well. Ah the old alma mater.

Guess it can't be much worse than the BC-to-Aptos then Aptos-to-Saratoga then Saratoga-to-BC commute I did one year. Least it wasn't on the bus...:p

So you're moving into the metropolis huh? I'm scared to think what kind of rent you'll be paying. What part of town are you headed for?

sketchy
Jan 6, 2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
kthxbye>

Pisses me off no end

AppleMatt

that's just dumb. is it so hard to type? Do they still teach people how to type in school?

My thing with LOL - would you ever type it out in full? if not -- then you should not use it. yeah.. thats it.

dave

altair
Jan 6, 2004, 02:01 PM
overuse of leet/l337.

Stuff Like that.

And another thing that annoys me is when people disregard conventional capitalization. For example, "HeY gUyZ, WaNnA dO sOmEtHiNg?".

I don't mind people replacing 'I' with 'i' though. Somethings I'm too lazy to bother pressing the shift key for something so short but that usually isn't the case.

One thing that I could imagine would annoy many is saying 'pwn' instead of 'own', but I am guilty of doing that, so I obviously don't mind.

lol, brb, g2g, ttyl, etc are all fine. Its when you get into the lesser known ones, or you start making them up, that it gets to be problematic.

scem0

Hey Scem, do you play Shadowbane?

rueyeet
Jan 6, 2004, 03:11 PM
I don't mind the very quick and common things like brb, lol, afk, imho and the like. But when the abbreviations get so long that you have to look them up, or are someone's own special idea of clever, forget it.

(to answer the person who wondered why you'd use "away from keyboard" if you're not at the keyboard, that and brb are used to warn people that you're not going to be answering them for a while. I've also seen them used together: afk, brb. Meaning "I'm leaving the computer for a bit, so don't bombard me with IMs asking if I'm still here and why haven't I answered you yet.")

I also don't much like all forms of 1337-speak, or any kind of "look, I misspelled something, I'm cool now, right?" behavior like using z's to denote plurals, deliberately bizzare capitalization, etc. The exception is when any of these are used in an ironic fashion to mock the people who actually think that using such things makes them more interesting than people who can spell. Some people can use these humorously to really good effect, though.

Flat-out inexcusable are the subsitution of letters for words, like r, u, ppl, and ne1. That's equivalent to saying you don't care whether you know better or not. I've also noticed that the people who use those have a distinct disregard for sentence composition, spelling, grammar, and punctuation in general. Sometimes their crap is just run-on gibberish with no point whatsoever, and worse, the most flagrant offenders are actually proud of that fact.

As for the use of online shorthand in verbal conversation: just depressing. Why say "L-o-l!" when you can just actually LAUGH, for the love of sweet little green apples? It truly boggles my mind--though it's one heck of a demonstration on how language constrains and defines thought.

My view on IM-speak and ebonics are pretty much the same. There is an astonishing degree of variety and richness in the world, and this is a good thing. However, at some point people have to agree on a set of conventions and standards in order to communicate effectively. Dialects are great within their originating cultures, and to add flavor and new words to the mix, but not so great at making yourself understood everywhere else. And I don't believe that a dialect should be taught as a replacement for the common standard, even though that common standard will eventually change and evolve, at least in part because of the addition of words from the dialects.

There should be a happy medium, but teaching regional or cultural dialects in a school as a replacement for the standard will only penalize those students outside of that region or culture, because everyone can't be fluent with all dialects.

OutThere
Jan 6, 2004, 03:53 PM
w00t
wOOt
woot
WOOT

Kurt Cobain
Jan 6, 2004, 08:18 PM
lol
especially when I hear it being spelled out on the bus by junior high students, ugh....

I have never seen anyone actually saying "lol" and laughing.
Thats so pathetic and geeky. How long have these teenagers been glued to the keyboard on chats?

scem0
Jan 6, 2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by altair
Hey Scem, do you play Shadowbane?
NO BUT IMM INTARST3D IN GETNG OUT OF DA STARCRAFT UNIEVRSE1111 OMG 4 Y3ARS PLAYNG ON3 GME IS 3NOUGH DONT U THINK?!?!? WTF LOL

Originally posted by OutThere761
w00t
wOOt
woot
WOOT
OMG HOW CUD I FORG3T TEH INFMOUS WOT????!??!? LOL I DONT RILLY LIEK WH3N PAOPLE SAY THIS EITHER - ITS A BIT ANOYNG!1!1! BUT I DONT MIND TAHT MUCH1!!!!111 OMG

IF YAL CANT TAL IMM RILLY 3NJOYNG THIS ANGLISH 2 12 YEAR OLD AOLER TRANSLA2R1!1! LOL

SCAM0

MrMacMan
Jan 6, 2004, 08:44 PM
I don't mind short ones like "g2g" or "lol". (I always thought that meant "lots of luck", but thats another story). I just hate when people use very long phrases like "TIARSPAYSNUTBIIHTU" that take a million years to figure out. (btw, who can figure that out?)

Oh My God!

That really means something?

overuse of leet/l337.

Stuff Like that.

scem0

Oh Please!

1 R34lLY L1K3 l33+ 5pE4k. thi$ 1$ R3@LLY G00d 8eC4u53 1+ 3nDS UP T4K1n9 mORe cH4r4CtER$ tH3N j00 N3ed In +3h PH1R5+ PL@c3.

I also like L33t Speak w/ also abriviations so you have Absolutly no idea what they are talking about.

I use:
LoL (LOL, L0L also accecpted. Though any other abrivations with 'LOL' in it are immediattly yelled at by me.)
G2G (Not lowercase)
IMO
IMHO
BRB
AFK (Capital Only)
Imao
AFAIK (Capital only)
w00t (Not Woot, or W00t, has to be 'w00t' and then ONLY on games)

And Now the rest of my Text Will be:
Proper English --> 12 Year Old AOL --> (http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html) L33t Speak (http://www.geocities.com/mnstr_2000/translate.html)

Yeah U $e i+5 f1r$+ @n0yn9 2 lI5t4n 2 4NyON3 $P34K 1n 4oL L4n9u93 b/c i+ 2+@lY D3gRads +H3YR3!11!11! 0mg wtPH i5 No R34$0N 2 5Pe@K lI3K +4ht111!! WTPH IT5 JU5+ 5o $+uP1d
No11111!1! 0mg w+Ph R345oN 4+ @l 2 B $p0K4N1111 Om9 L0l
5cAm0 - 5T@RCr@Pht I5 @ 9r34+ 9M3 i DOn+ ThINK 1 WIl 3v3r 52p pl@yn9 iT
1ph!!1!!!! wTpH loL 4NY0N3 W4NT5 d4 or1g1n4l t3xT plz pRIV@e+ Mesae9 M31!!1! OmG WtF .

[If no one can read that I can translate it]

:D

--MrMacMan

scem0
Jan 6, 2004, 11:07 PM
There was something about not quitting sc and about PMing you for some original text of some sort :).

scem0

paradillon
Jan 7, 2004, 03:18 AM
I guess Tigger really bothers some when he says "ttfn, tut tut for now!"

MacBandit
Jan 7, 2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by paradillon
I guess Tigger really bothers some when he says "ttfn, tut tut for now!"

By the way TTFN= Ta ta for now.

matthew_54129
Jan 7, 2004, 03:31 PM
It's the daft phrases that sellers tag onto eBay descriptions that bug me, such as 'L@@k' or 'WOW!!!'

I mean, what is the point? :confused:

sketchy
Jan 7, 2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah U $e i+5 f1r$+ @n0yn9 2 lI5t4n 2 4NyON3 $P34K 1n 4oL L4n9u93 b/c i+ 2+@lY D3gRads +H3YR3!11!11! 0mg wtPH i5 No R34$0N 2 5Pe@K lI3K +4ht111!! WTPH IT5 JU5+ 5o $+uP1d
1ph!!1!!!! wTpH loL 4NY0N3 W4NT5 d4 or1g1n4l t3xT plz pRIV@e+ Mesae9 M31!!1! OmG WtF .

--MrMacMan

Holy Jesus Batman!

growing up dyslexic and being a computer programmer now has its benefits. once I get past the first few words I can rattle that stuff off at light speed.
may the transposers rule the world!

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Oh My God!

That really means something?

Oh Please!

1 R34lLY L1K3 l33+ 5pE4k. thi$ 1$ R3@LLY G00d 8eC4u53 1+ 3nDS UP T4K1n9 mORe cH4r4CtER$ tH3N j00 N3ed In +3h PH1R5+ PL@c3.

I also like L33t Speak w/ also abriviations so you have Absolutly no idea what they are talking about.

I use:
LoL (LOL, L0L also accecpted. Though any other abrivations with 'LOL' in it are immediattly yelled at by me.)
G2G (Not lowercase)
IMO
IMHO
BRB
AFK (Capital Only)
Imao
AFAIK (Capital only)
w00t (Not Woot, or W00t, has to be 'w00t' and then ONLY on games)

And Now the rest of my Text Will be:
Proper English --> 12 Year Old AOL --> (http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html) L33t Speak (http://www.geocities.com/mnstr_2000/translate.html)

--MrMacMan

:eek: Ahhh I see you work for the NAS. :)

MacAztec
Jan 8, 2004, 05:32 PM
I THINK TAHT ABREVIATNG WORDS IS FIEN BUT IT SHUDNT B DONE 2 OFTEN!111!1 WTF MOST PEOPL3 ON TEH INTARNET GIEV WORDS SHORT NMAS AL DA TIEM AND IT GET BOTHERSOME!!!!1! OMG LOL I ALSO HAET IT WH3N PEOPLE TYP3 IN CAPS U KNOW?!!!? OMG LOL

King Cobra
Jan 8, 2004, 07:36 PM
What about absurd text size?

:p :p

IF YAL CANT TAL IMM RILLY 3NJOYNG THIS ANGLISH 2 12 YEAR OLD AOLER TRANSLA2R1!1! LOL

SCAM0

Oh, dear, Jeff..."SCAM0" that's the funniest thing I've seen all thread.

What about "PaTtErN-cApAtIlIzAiToN?"

Oh, and don't hate you it when say with people things real grammar bad?

Or use lots of color??

Sun Baked
Jan 8, 2004, 07:39 PM
Even with all these problems with text based chat, it's definitely not as shocking a present as video chat would be...

revenuee
Jan 8, 2004, 07:49 PM
Even with all these problems with text based chat, it's definitely not as shocking as a present as video chat would be...

I agree ... i've been experimenting with video chat lately, and it's kinda of a pain s ... i mean you can't really just sit there in your robe, like what many of us that work from home cherish. --- well unless your Hugh Hefner

sonicbaz
Jan 8, 2004, 08:01 PM
This is a really stupid phrase and you should not understand this because it is hard to understand

how did I do?

sonicbaz

revenuee
Jan 8, 2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by sonicbaz
This is a really stupid phrase and you should not understand this because it is hard to understand

how did I do?

sonicbaz

I don't know if it's right or not ... BUT DAMN ... you the man sonicbaz

vniow
Jan 9, 2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra

Or use lots of color??

*bitchslap*

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 04:06 AM
d00dz, i'V3 g0t dis 13375p33k shizzle to da mizzle! WTF y'all >:-O aboot, ye scurvy landlubbers!

OMG! I'm like, SO switching dialekts too much. omfg lol lmao!

I intend to communicate that the method of language employed in conversation can often communicate as much the meaning you are attempting to communicate to the recipient. Obviously, we can use this fact to leverage our core competencies into a win-win situation.

MacRumors participants (hereinafter known as "we") shall not hold Phil Of Mac liable for any damage this demonstration has caused.

whooleytoo
Jan 9, 2004, 09:46 AM
One that really bugs me is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less", it means the opposite of what's intended!

Acronyms I really like are:

PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms

IWRTFMIIKWTFTFMI - (In response to RTFM) I Would Read the ********** Manual If I Knew Where ******* the ********** Manual Is!

AOL - Agreeing Out Loud. (Started on Usenet when lots of AOL users would quote really long messages, just to add "I agree" to the bottom!)

edesignuk
Jan 9, 2004, 09:56 AM
*bitchslap*
http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/slap.gif
There you go vniow :)

Lacero
Jun 26, 2005, 03:44 PM
TYVM - used in place of true appreciation.

Xtremehkr
Jun 26, 2005, 04:01 PM
Probably an anomaly, but when people sign their own posts, it just bugs me. I mean, your screen name is already there, why bother adding it again??!! And it doesn't mean that I think less of the people who do it, I just wonder why?

Did you think we would miss it?

Acronyms don't bother me too much. But their needs to be a FAQ for every board, cause every board develops its own colloquialisms after a while. Acronyms bother me when I can't figure out what they mean.

oldschool
Jun 26, 2005, 04:25 PM
anybody know people who use acronyms like LOL or brb or g2g in spoken english? I live in Canada, and a lot of people in my city are asian...lots of them do this, and frankly, it pisses me right off.

They'll say (totally seriously) something like "wow thats funny ell oh ell"

redeye be
Jun 26, 2005, 04:35 PM
anybody know people who use acronyms like LOL or brb or g2g in spoken english? I live in Canada, and a lot of people in my city are asian...lots of them do this, and frankly, it pisses me right off.

Dutch is my native language and i have used 'lol' in-speak when i found something funny. Then again, lol translates as fun from dutch to english. So i guess i'm ok there. I must say i used this only a few times, but only after i learnt the acronym meaning, that makes it less ok i guess ;).

As for capitalising, i don't like ti very much, but i try to start my sentences with one because of readability. 'I' just seems so egocentric.

Cheers

noaccess
Jun 26, 2005, 04:55 PM
And now (just for the record) what does TIARSPAYSNUTBIIHTU mean:confused::confused::confused:?

notjustjay
Jun 26, 2005, 06:16 PM

Interesting.

I'm Asian, living in Ottawa, and I haven't ever heard that happen. Maybe I need to look at Vancouver or Toronto or something.

My peeve is constant use of "lol" - particularly when I *know* it's in response to something not that funny, and you're definitely NOT laughing out loud.. it's pointless. I will use "lol" in chats, but only when I actually did laugh. Not that anyone cares.

Mike Teezie
Jun 26, 2005, 07:38 PM
If I see:

OMG, M$ iS l337! MAC IS TEH SUXXORZ!!1!!1
n00b!!1!!!!1

I want to find the person that typed it, and beat them until I pass out from exhaustion. Then, wake up and do it again.

A friend and I were playing Counterstrike at his house the other day, and some guy actually said out loud, "ROFL!"

I nearly spat. Seeing this crap on the internet is one thing, but when people start saying it in real life, it's a bit too much to bear.

dotdotdot
Jun 26, 2005, 07:49 PM
I now officially hate the ones people "make up"

Like:

"Hey, sup"
"ijcwmhhwmpatwsede!"
"WHAT THE HELL?"
"ijcwmhhwmpatwsede! DUH!"
"Yeah, whatever..."

iMeowbot
Jun 26, 2005, 07:55 PM
XD - I'm sorry, but that's only an emoticon if you're Leela.

eva01
Jun 26, 2005, 08:00 PM
XD, and XP
*shudders* i hate those two emoticons.

Also over use of exclamations points and over use of punctuation in general.

and yes i have heard a few people speak the acronyms, and i think i either hit them or walked away.

GoCubsGo
Jun 26, 2005, 10:02 PM
I dislike kewl and anything where the word you, two, are, etc is replaced by single letters.

l8r

mxpiazza
Jun 26, 2005, 10:03 PM
lolERskatez!!!

Lacero
Jun 26, 2005, 10:04 PM
f u

if they are gonna diss you online, at least do it correctly.

CubaTBird
Jun 26, 2005, 10:39 PM
teh l337'n355

yg17
Jun 26, 2005, 10:51 PM
WEN PPL TALK LIEK DIS BCUZ DEY THNK ITZ KEWL 2 L00K LIEK AN MORAN. SUMTIMES U JUST WANT 2 SLAP EM N SAY "UR A DUMAS, GET OFF DA INTERWEB!!!!111ONES"

N DEN DEY USE DEEZ ANOYIN COLORS WICH MAKE IT REALY HARD TO REED DA TEXT ON DA SITE N HURT UR EYEZ

runninmac
Jun 26, 2005, 10:59 PM
People who use spellings like "kewl" and rawk in a serious tone need to be beaten.

I 100% agree. I also hate it when in peoples profiles they use like LYLAS (love ya Like a sister??? wtf half the girls in my grade down right hate each other and is just its just a act, sorry pet peeve of mine especially when you can see right though it)

oldschool
Jun 27, 2005, 01:03 AM
Interesting.

I'm Asian, living in Ottawa, and I haven't ever heard that happen. Maybe I need to look at Vancouver or Toronto or something.

My peeve is constant use of "lol" - particularly when I *know* it's in response to something not that funny, and you're definitely NOT laughing out loud.. it's pointless. I will use "lol" in chats, but only when I actually did laugh. Not that anyone cares.

maybe its just the people i know....my school has some characters.

btw for anybody who thinks i'm generalizing or stereotyping...i am. every single one of my friends is asian...so i've got carte blanche.

yellow
Jun 27, 2005, 08:36 AM

Pretty much anything in chat-ghettoese. That mixed with "l33t" speak.. oh jebus.

I'm curious what you're doing on a bus with Junior High kids. :)

Edit: Nice job Lacero.. you're the new Threadromancer (dead thread resurrector)

lem0n
Jun 27, 2005, 10:55 AM
"lol" is the worst... it's just weird... don't you make a sound when you laughs anyway??? why not just type "hahahahah", that just look more like you're actually laughing. Ever since my brother started playing games online, he started to speak like *that* too, really annoying. Kids these days have no idea how to speak properly. and the 12 year old culture, I wonder who invented all those, it takes time to learn all those, why not just learn proper English instead. And "yo"... my name is not "yo" and it has never been, if you want to say "you" then an extra "u" won't hurt. Funny how all those grade 10 kids talk in their funyn language to my Politics/ World History teacher [she teaches grade 10 Civics too] and she'd make them correct it. By the end of the semester, every kids know how to say "yes" instead of "yeah", "excuse me", "angered" instead of "piss off"... etc... I never use those phrases [ok, maybe only gtg and ppl] everyone whom I talk to eventually weed out all of those phrases when they talk to me [must be my great influence] :D what a nice change, and nobody can force me to talk to an 8 grader, horrid, horrid...

Lacero
Jun 27, 2005, 11:01 AM
You guys have inspired me to say "LOL" and "ROFLMAO" in normal everyday conversation.

So the next time I'm at a dinner party and someone says something funny, I blurt out "Hey, that's funny. L - O - L". Or if its sidesplittin', I'll say " R O F L M A O" in quick succession, and pretend its the standard way of talking nowadays.

lem0n
Jun 27, 2005, 11:14 AM
or say somethign hideously long and watch their faces puzzled and they will all nods and say "yes, yes, back to our conversation" :D

shane1
Jun 27, 2005, 11:27 AM

Wow, you're a bigot. Thanks for your opinion.