PDA

View Full Version : dallas and baltimore gone...now we are down to ten teams

jefhatfield
Jan 3, 2004, 11:35 PM
who will win tomorrow? with seattle at green bay, denver at indianapolis

predictably, the teams with the better records, panthers and titans, beat the cowboys and the ravens

will this trend continue? and are the panthers and titans doomed when they face off against more successful teams? i hope that the panthers can surprise everybody and make it to the superbowl just for kicks...or the seahawks:p

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 12:38 AM
My picks are here (and if anyone can tell me how to link to a specific post within a thread, I would be much obliged):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52279&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

But for those too lazy to look, I picked Green Bay (duh) and Indy, although I'm now feeling less confident about the second pick. I stand by it, but I won't be surprised if it goes the other way.

For that matter, I'm even feeling a little more hopeful that my Seahawks can pull off the upset of the postseason, but this is mostly attributable to shameless homerism. :D

I'm 1/2 for today. :\ I think Dalllas just got off on the wrong foot early in the game and never recovered.

krossfyter
Jan 4, 2004, 02:48 PM
this nfl season is boring.

quincy carter = steve puller

(coach always making excuses for how much he sux)

carolina panters = boring

Macmaniac
Jan 4, 2004, 03:12 PM
GO EAGLES! Nuff Said

wdlove
Jan 4, 2004, 03:32 PM
Maybe an item pointing to a good end result Coach Bill Belichick of the Patriots won AP Coach of the year. He was humble in accepting and said that it was a team effort. In their last Superbowl they worked together as a tema and continue to do the same.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 04:09 PM
Damn! That was a close one in Green Bay. Oh well. There's no way we could have gone all the way, anyway. But it would have been nice to get at least one playoff win since 1984. :rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 4, 2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
this nfl season is boring.

quincy carter = steve puller

(coach always making excuses for how much he sux)

carolina panters = boring i have not been able to get excited about the No Fun League this year either. perhaps we will have some good NFL AFL championship games. wild card teams almost never go anywhere so dont expect much from the winners this weekend.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
i have not been able to get excited about the No Fun League this year either. perhaps we will have some good NFL AFL championship games. wild card teams almost never go anywhere so dont expect much from the winners this weekend.

I have fully embraced the NFL this year because I love football and I've given up on the college game. It's an elitist racket and the NCAA ought to be outlawed. What happened to USC this year is case in point.

So maybe the product in the NFL sucks sometimes, particularly because the nationally broadcast games are usually puke-awful matchups. But it's fun to follow who's having a good year and who isn't. And the playoffs have been much better. The Titans game and the Packers-Seahwks game were both outstanding.

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 06:25 PM
I don't follow football too much, but I would like to see the Patriots make it to the super bowl. They are having a great year.

jefhatfield
Jan 4, 2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
Damn! That was a close one in Green Bay. Oh well. There's no way we could have gone all the way, anyway. But it would have been nice to get at least one playoff win since 1984. :rolleyes:

so many thought that green bay would walk all over the seahawks and thus be a contender for the superbowl, or nfc crown without lifting a finger...guess again

green bay got by barely and what kind of superbowl hopeful stuggles in a wildcard game where the top seeds have not even entered the fray yet?

denver got soundly beaten and peyton manning and the colts showed many who have not seen them this season that they are a force to contend with...superbowl caliber team though? i think not but if the colts took it all the way, it would be considered a superbowl cinderella story

it's all for the chiefs, rams, patriots, and philly to lose...they have to basically beat themselves to not get into the afc and nfc championships

Cursor
Jan 4, 2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
it's all for the chiefs, rams, patriots, and philly to lose...they have to basically beat themselves to not get into the afc and nfc championships

I don't know about KC, Rams, or the Pats, but I've seen the Eagles take a nosedive before. As a lifetime fan of the Phils, Flyers and Eagles, I can tell you that Philly teams usually do, but I think this year is different. The Eagles will beat either the Pats or Chiefs in the big game.

As a sidenote, I think the Flyers have a good chance to win the Cup, and the Phils have an EXCELLENT chance to win the Series-this is our year! :)

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 09:45 PM

I'm not so sure about the Rams, and Carolina is easily overlooked. Also, it's hard not to like the Colts next week and easy to not like the Chiefs.

LethalWolfe
Jan 5, 2004, 12:15 AM

Although the win over Denver was the first time in 3 weeks the Colts decided to come and play football for 60 minutes I would be very surprised to see them lose to KC because KC has no D. And KC also has specific problems w/getting run over by big backs (like James). The only way for KC to win is for the Colts offense to choke (which is a distinct possiblity).

Lethal

cubist
Jan 5, 2004, 08:22 AM
MacManiac is right, the Eagles will win the Super Bowl. It appears most likely they will be playing Indianapolis, altho New England is a possibility.

jefhatfield
Jan 11, 2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by cubist
MacManiac is right, the Eagles will win the Super Bowl. It appears most likely they will be playing Indianapolis, altho New England is a possibility.

the patriots are certainly a possibility...they moved up a notch by beating the titans and now the pats will go into the afc championship against the chiefs or the colts *who play tomorrow, and i give this one to the chiefs

with the nfc, it will be the panthers, who beat the rams today, against either the eagles or the packers *who also play tomorrow but i give this game to the eagles

in the afc championship, i see the k.c. chiefs beating the n.e. patriots
in the nfc championship, i see the philadelphia eagles beating the carolina panthers

and in the superbowl, i see the eagles beating the chiefs

Cursor
Jan 11, 2004, 08:43 AM
in the afc championship, i see the k.c. chiefs beating the n.e. patriots
in the nfc championship, i see the philadelphia eagles beating the carolina panthers

and in the superbowl, i see the eagles beating the chiefs

I agree. The Eagles/Carolina game will be a tough one (probably within 7 points). But I don't think Carolina will be able to tough out our Arctic cold this time of year. I also think the KC/NE game will be within a field goal. An Eagles/KC Super Bowl would be great.

I will definitely be watching today. GO E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!!!

jefhatfield
Jan 11, 2004, 07:29 PM
eagles won so they now face the carolina panthers in the nfc crown

but as a surprise to me, it will be the colts who face the patriots for the afc game

we are down to four superbowl scenarios...philadelphia eagles vs new england patriots, philadelphia eagles vs indianapolis colts, carolina panthers vs new england patriots, or carolina panthers vs indianapolis colts

i still think philly will be in the superbowl even though they didn't blow out the packers, but i will have to go with the patriots for the afc championship game

...if somehow the colts win that one, i will be even more certain that if they face philly in the superbowl, they will lose by a bigger margin than new england losing to the eagles

but if the patriots face carolina, i will go with new england

if the colts face carolina, i could go for either one equally

it would be a cinderella story if either the carolina panthers or the indianapolis colts win the superbowl

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 11, 2004, 07:35 PM
Who was that rookie that threw that interception? Brent somebody? worst pass i have seen in a long time. looked like he was throwing to the Eagles.

cubist
Jan 11, 2004, 07:50 PM
I kept hollering "Duce! Duce!" and finally they gave it to him.

With the Eagles the score is always close, but the Eagles always come out on top. And it's a fun game to watch, right to the end, every time!

Donovan will be the Superbowl MVP, but don't forget to give some credit to the Duce.

Cursor
Jan 11, 2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Who was that rookie that threw that interception? Brent somebody? worst pass i have seen in a long time. looked like he was throwing to the Eagles.

Yeah, that is Brett Favre's biggest weakness-throwing the ball up for grabs. He typicallytries to force the ball too much, but that pass was the greatest thing I have ever seen (I am a big Eagles fan). That game was down to the wire! I paced the entire 4th and OT. I can smell Super Bowl. There is nothing like watching a championship game in this city. EVERYBODY get pumped, decorates, parties (no matter how cold it is). It really is something to see. Bring it on Carolina. Cause this time, there will be NOTHING stopping us, except that whistle at the end of the 4th in Houston!
E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!!!!!!!

wdlove
Jan 11, 2004, 08:16 PM
i still think philly will be in the superbowl even though they didn't blow out the packers, but i will have to go with the patriots for the afc championship game

...if somehow the colts win that one, i will be even more certain that if they face philly in the superbowl, they will lose by a bigger margin than new england losing to the eagles

but if the patriots face carolina, i will go with new england

it would be a cinderella story if either the carolina panthers or the indianapolis colts win the superbowl

jef I'm happy to hear that you would go with Patriot's if they beat the winner of the game today. The big item that the Patriot's have going for them is the home field advantage. The weather prediction now is that it will be bitter cold for that game like it was yesterday. We also have Adam Vinatieri.

Awimoway
Jan 11, 2004, 10:12 PM
Jeez, I don't know guys. I think I'm going to have to disagree with the general drift here. The Colts have been amazing in the postseason. Offensively, at least. And the Pats weren't all that impressive against the Titans. I think the Super Bowl is the Colts' to lose.

As for the NFC, who knows? Both games were close. Carolina keeps getting underrated. But the Eagles are having their best year yet (in the Reid era), narrow win today notwithstanding. Tough call there. I'm gonna go Eagles, but I won't be surprised if it goes the other way.

LethalWolfe
Jan 13, 2004, 01:00 PM
Jeez, I don't know guys. I think I'm going to have to disagree with the general drift here. The Colts have been amazing in the postseason. Offensively, at least. And the Pats weren't all that impressive against the Titans. I think the Super Bowl is the Colts' to lose.

As for the NFC, who knows? Both games were close. Carolina keeps getting underrated. But the Eagles are having their best year yet (in the Reid era), narrow win today notwithstanding. Tough call there. I'm gonna go Eagles, but I won't be surprised if it goes the other way.

I don't count the Colts out by a long shot, but they've fallen flat on their faces in the past. And they have been an inconsistent team the past 4 games (Denver, Houston, Denver, and KC). IMO the Colts have had 1 amazing game in the post season and that was against Denver. The game against KC made me worry though. Yes they scored a lot of points and they should have (number 2 or 3 ranked O against the 30th or 31st ranked D) but the Colts D *has* to show up in NE. The Pats' D *will* make it hard on Manning and Company so if the Colts' D doesn't make it hard Brady and Company the Colts will lose. The Colts problem is peak performance but consistent performance.

Lethal

jefhatfield
Jan 13, 2004, 01:06 PM
when a team makes it this far, then they are very viable for a superbowl ring

i do place my bets on new england and philly to go the the big game

carolina or indianapolis going all the way would be a pleasant surprise for me...i love it when a team not expected to win makes it all the way

Awimoway
Jan 13, 2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
I don't count the Colts out by a long shot, but they've fallen flat on their faces in the past. And they have been an inconsistent team the past 4 games (Denver, Houston, Denver, and KC). IMO the Colts have had 1 amazing game in the post season and that was against Denver. The game against KC made me worry though. Yes they scored a lot of points and they should have (number 2 or 3 ranked O against the 30th or 31st ranked D) but the Colts D *has* to show up in NE. The Pats' D *will* make it hard on Manning and Company so if the Colts' D doesn't make it hard Brady and Company the Colts will lose. The Colts problem is peak performance but consistent performance.

Lethal

Fair points, but I think one has to account for the possiibility that a given team usually doesn't have the same mindset in the postseason as they do in the regular season. Indy had already locked up a playoff berth when they lost so badly at the end of the regular season. Clearly the Colts are in an entirely different zone, mentally, in the postseason. Maybe that place is too hard to stay in and they'll look more human this week. Manning did throw a few passes he's lucky weren't intercepted, so maybe that luck will run out. I just can't help but see the Colts offense as not just great but legendary. Historical. This just isn't the same offense we saw in the regular season. The people are the same. Manning claims the plays are the same. So I chalk it up to mental preparation and focus.

LethalWolfe
Jan 14, 2004, 02:23 AM
Fair points, but I think one has to account for the possiibility that a given team usually doesn't have the same mindset in the postseason as they do in the regular season. Indy had already locked up a playoff berth when they lost so badly at the end of the regular season. Clearly the Colts are in an entirely different zone, mentally, in the postseason. Maybe that place is too hard to stay in and they'll look more human this week. Manning did throw a few passes he's lucky weren't intercepted, so maybe that luck will run out. I just can't help but see the Colts offense as not just great but legendary. Historical. This just isn't the same offense we saw in the regular season. The people are the same. Manning claims the plays are the same. So I chalk it up to mental preparation and focus.

When the Colts Offense is in the zone it's unstoppable. But when it's not it's not in the zone it's horrible. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween. But it's not really their O that worries me it's their D.

Lethal

Awimoway
Jan 14, 2004, 02:36 AM
But it's not really their O that worries me it's their D.

Lethal

Actually, I almost said the same thing yesterday. But it really doesn't follow. As long as Indy's offense stays in the zone, as you put it, there's no physical way another team can outrace the Colts for scoring, even if Indy's defense is having an off day.

Although it's almost as long as a book, Gregg Easterbrook's column "Tuesday Morning Quarterback" (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/7001075) makes the point, somewhere in its lengthy but hilarious text, that teams that live by the blitz die by the blitz. Odd as that seemed to me, the stats are undeniable. But the Patriots have been getting away with blitz-heavy defense all season. They do it by faking out the opponents' offenses into thinking they're backing away from the blitz at the last second. If Manning can read this--and I'm not sure he'll be able to--he'll eat the much-touted Patriots defense alive with his rapid-fire long ball. On the other hand, another good point is made by Easterbrook that whenever Manning does his "chicken dance" audibling a play to his offense, it's nearly always a run. That could get him in a lot of trouble.

I don't have a horse in the postseason anymore, but in case you couldn't tell, the AFC matchup intrigues me a heckuva lot more than the one in the NFC.

jefhatfield
Jan 14, 2004, 01:41 PM
i mostly follow my local teams in california, so i have not seen week to week play of the eagles and panthers, but i think many will feel that philly should beat carolina...i would like to hear satellite viewers or east coast football fans chime in on this

now i think people expect the pats to beat the colts, but by a smaller margin...there is always peyton manning to contend with even if he is off some days or his receivers seem to drop a lot of passes ;)

LethalWolfe
Jan 15, 2004, 02:29 AM
Actually, I almost said the same thing yesterday. But it really doesn't follow. As long as Indy's offense stays in the zone, as you put it, there's no physical way another team can outrace the Colts for scoring, even if Indy's defense is having an off day.

Although it's almost as long as a book, Gregg Easterbrook's column "Tuesday Morning Quarterback" (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/7001075) makes the point, somewhere in its lengthy but hilarious text, that teams that live by the blitz die by the blitz. Odd as that seemed to me, the stats are undeniable. But the Patriots have been getting away with blitz-heavy defense all season. They do it by faking out the opponents' offenses into thinking they're backing away from the blitz at the last second. If Manning can read this--and I'm not sure he'll be able to--he'll eat the much-touted Patriots defense alive with his rapid-fire long ball. On the other hand, another good point is made by Easterbrook that whenever Manning does his "chicken dance" audibling a play to his offense, it's nearly always a run. That could get him in a lot of trouble.

I don't have a horse in the postseason anymore, but in case you couldn't tell, the AFC matchup intrigues me a heckuva lot more than the one in the NFC.

I think relying on your offense to perpetually<sp?> be on fire, to be perfect game after game, in order to win isn't a safe way to go about things. Just look at KC or the Vikings. The number 2 and number 1 ranked O's are sitting at home right now 'cause their D let them down. NEs D will cause the Colts O to stumbled and when the Colts O stumbles their D has to step up and get Payton the ball back.

Lethal

Awimoway
Jan 15, 2004, 03:00 AM
Hmm. Maybe so. I see you're from indiana. I assume you're doing what you can to not get your hopes up/jinx the team. So I'll lay off the argument. But you know who I think will win this weekend. ;)

LethalWolfe
Jan 18, 2004, 05:12 PM
NE D made the Colts O stumble. The Colts D didn't rise to the challenge. Colts lost.

Like I said before, you can't lay all your hopes on a teams offense playing unbelievably well week after week. Didn't work for KC, didn't work for the Vikings, and it didn't work for the Colts.

And, although I would like to see a ring on Peyton's finger, I expected NE to win because I didn't think the Colts D was going to get the job done.

Lethal

Awimoway
Jan 18, 2004, 06:50 PM
I guess so. Oh well. I really don't like the Patriots and won't look forward to them winning again in the Super Bowl, but I confess that that looks pretty likely.

Go Eagles. :rolleyes:

wdlove
Jan 18, 2004, 07:08 PM
Go Patriots! This was there 14th win in a row. Home field advantage makes all the difference in the world. They have played hard all season with team spirit. They always worked together as a team. With the snow today at Gilette Stadium it has almost be a repeat of the 2001 season. Adam Vinatieri came through for us again in the fourth quarter to make it 21 - 14.

jefhatfield
Jan 18, 2004, 08:28 PM
I guess so. Oh well. I really don't like the Patriots and won't look forward to them winning again in the Super Bowl, but I confess that that looks pretty likely.

Go Eagles. :rolleyes:

with less than half a quarter left in the last quarter and the panthers with a good lead and philly with only 3 on the board, it looks like it will be the 14-2 patriots out there to whip the 11-5 panthers for the superbowl...i will be there to root for the lowly panthers as the underdogs

update...so philly with its great offense was shut down to just three points and carolina managed 14 and beat them by a bigger margin than new england did to indianapolis but still my money is on new england to win the superbowl by a solid ten to 14 points in a tough low scoring defensive game of the big guys of both teams shutting the offenses down

i can see carolina getting 9 points (three field golas) and new england getting 19 points (two touchdowns with one successful extra point, and two field goals...or at least that's my best guess for the superbowl

i don't see either team making it in the 30 or 40 point territory this year...the defenses are too wired up and ready to take out quarterbacks and receivers...this will be a physical game and key players from both sides will be taken out of the game or banged up to the point where they won't produce well...it will be real '70s style gridiron football made famous by eastern teams as opposed to a finesse driven west coast offense and graceful acrobatics

LethalWolfe
Jan 18, 2004, 09:46 PM
with less than half a quarter left in the last quarter and the panthers with a good lead and philly with only 3 on the board, it looks like it will be the 14-2 patriots out there to whip the 11-5 panthers for the superbowl...i will be there to root for the lowly panthers as the underdogs

update...so philly with its great offense was shut down to just three points and carolina managed 14 and beat them by a bigger margin than new england did to indianapolis but still my money is on new england to win the superbowl by a solid ten to 14 points in a tough low scoring defensive game of the big guys of both teams shutting the offenses down

i can see carolina getting 9 points (three field golas) and new england getting 19 points (two touchdowns with one successful extra point, and two field goals...or at least that's my best guess for the superbowl

i don't see either team making it in the 30 or 40 point territory this year...the defenses are too wired up and ready to take out quarterbacks and receivers...this will be a physical game and key players from both sides will be taken out of the game or banged up to the point where they won't produce well...it will be real '70s style gridiron football made famous by eastern teams as opposed to a finesse driven west coast offense and graceful acrobatics

I wouldn't write the Panthers off just yet. The Pats seemed to be better against the pass than they are the run. So as long as the Panthers don't get down early they should be able to pound the ball against the Pats and execute some good play action.

I think this is a pretty even match-up. 2 very good defenses and two under-rated offenses. I'm glad the Panters made it. They didn't seem to be getting any respect all season. And I don't like the Eagles. I'm a 'Skins fan so I've got that whole division rivalry thing goin'. ;)

Lethal

jefhatfield
Jan 19, 2004, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't write the Panthers off just yet. The Pats seemed to be better against the pass than they are the run. So as long as the Panthers don't get down early they should be able to pound the ball against the Pats and execute some good play action.

I think this is a pretty even match-up. 2 very good defenses and two under-rated offenses. I'm glad the Panters made it. They didn't seem to be getting any respect all season. And I don't like the Eagles. I'm a 'Skins fan so I've got that whole division rivalry thing goin'. ;)

Lethal

do you really, honestly think this will be an even match up...you don't think carolina will be coming into this as an underdog?

if this were completely even, i would not even tune it to watch it...but since so many people on the street think this will be a victory for new england, i will be watching to see a possible upset and see carolina walk offf with their first superbowl trophy ever

who knows, maybe carolina will hold new england to three points...it's entirely possible

this will be a black and blue defensive fight and about brute strength and several players will sustain injuries in this game and maybe a person or two will be not able to leave the field on their own power...it will be like 70s football and always in the favor of new england

LethalWolfe
Jan 19, 2004, 05:43 PM
do you really, honestly think this will be an even match up...you don't think carolina will be coming into this as an underdog?

if this were completely even, i would not even tune it to watch it...but since so many people on the street think this will be a victory for new england, i will be watching to see a possible upset and see carolina walk offf with their first superbowl trophy ever

who knows, maybe carolina will hold new england to three points...it's entirely possible

this will be a black and blue defensive fight and about brute strength and several players will sustain injuries in this game and maybe a person or two will be not able to leave the field on their own power...it will be like 70s football and always in the favor of new england

I agree that the Panthers are the underdog, but NE isn't going to have a walk in the park by any means. I think anyone who thinks NE is going to trounce the Panthers hasn't paid attention to Carolina all season. I think the Panthers have been the most underrated team this season.

I'm not sure NE has a distinct advantage in smash mouth football against the Panthers. The Panthers have 2 proven backs that can run between the tackles and they have a surprisingly good passing game as well. NE, on the other hand, is a more passing oriented offense. They'll throw for 5 yards as often than as they'll run it (which huts when you get close to the goal line). Both Ds are, w/o question, great units. Great D w/an O that passes but can still run vs. Great D w/an O that runs but can still pass.

Like I said before, I think this is a great match up. The biggest advantage NE has, IMO, is playoff/superbowl experience.

I'm torn. I'd like to see the Panthers win it, but on the other hand if NE wins it will piss off my co-workers who are Colts fans. Either way I'm happy I guess. ;)

Lethal