PDA

View Full Version : iChat alternative

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 12:27 AM
Hi, what I am looking for is instant messaging alternative for iChat. I don't think iChat is customizable enough, plus it has many bugs. Any ideas? (besides AIM!)

Edit: oops. wrong board.
:(

mnkeybsness
Jan 4, 2004, 12:30 AM
wow... posted in the wrong section and didn't attempt any research...

just kidding.. it's alright...

check out Adium http://adium.sourceforge.net

download the newest builds as often as possible

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
wow... posted in the wrong section and didn't attempt any research...

just kidding.. it's alright...

check out Adium http://adium.sourceforge.net

download the newest builds as often as possible

Ok, Thanks. Yeah I had both the HWSW and community board open and I accidentaly put it in the wrong one.

Waluigi
Jan 4, 2004, 12:39 AM
Who knows, maybe Apple will release a much better version of iChat at macworld. That would be my ideal iChat (current version) alternative.

--Waluigi

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Waluigi
Who knows, maybe Apple will release a much better version of iChat at macworld. That would be my ideal iChat (current version) alternative.

--Waluigi

Hopefully. They have pretty much ignored it since it was released with jaguar. The only thing they did was add the ability to use video.

Kwyjibo
Jan 4, 2004, 12:48 AM
.... they didn't just add video ... ichatav could have more but its better than ichat 1.0 , they put time in on it ... just not enough

mac15
Jan 4, 2004, 05:02 PM
Adium all the way, iChat doesn't even touch it as far as customization/looks/ease of use/resource usage/features. iChatAV only has VoIP, thats the only thing Adium doesn't do.

Wes
Jan 4, 2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by mac15
Adium all the way, iChat doesn't even touch it as far as customization/looks/ease of use/resource usage/features. iChatAV only has VoIP, thats the only thing Adium doesn't do.

I love Adium, but one other [working] thing it doesn't have is file transfer, but it can go on MSN and Yahoo at the same time.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 06:21 PM
Fire (http://fire.sourceforge.net/) has every feature you could ever want, including simultaneous login to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC. Except prettiness. It's butt ugly. But v. 1 is coming out soon and will be skinnable.

And it's free. ;)

iJon
Jan 4, 2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Wes
I love Adium, but one other [working] thing it doesn't have is file transfer, but it can go on MSN and Yahoo at the same time.
latest builds of 2.0 have file transfer now.

iJon

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 07:21 PM
I downloaded Adium, but it has a confusing interface. How do you add your own icon? In Fire, how do you inport buddy lists from iChat?

also, thanks to the mod who changed the title.

iJon
Jan 4, 2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
I downloaded Adium, but it has a confusing interface. How do you add your own icon? I will try fire.

also, thanks to the mod who changed the title.
takes a little trick, i would just add it in ichat and it will register with the server, you can also tell it to grab pics from the address book.

iJon

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by iJon
takes a little trick, i would just add it in ichat and it will register with the server, you can also tell it to grab pics from the address book.

iJon
ok cool I didn't realize it uses the iChat icon. I think I understand the interface better now. white = online and yellow = away.

mac15
Jan 4, 2004, 08:02 PM
the newer build have file transfer but there is no indicator. I can recieve files but no send them. I have to get the other people to tell me when its done. And it can't work with MSN yet since there is no way to accept the incoming files

iJon
Jan 4, 2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by mac15
the newer build have file transfer but there is no indicator. I can recieve files but no send them. I have to get the other people to tell me when its done. And it can't work with MSN yet since there is no way to accept the incoming files
yeah i know, kind of annoying but its a start in the right direction.

iJon