Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reaganjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I have a black MacBook with a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. If I wanted to sometime in the future... is it possible to upgrade it to the new 2.4? no?..

DaveSchneid

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Even if you could that probably wouldn't be worth the risk considering a .2 Ghz upgrade would probably not even be noticeable

reaganjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Ahh I didn't think so. Why do they always have to bring out something new just after i buy a product!!! >.< It happened with my iPod too haha. Thanks for the reply.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Not quite, you can if you're willing to de-solder the chip from the board, but you'll have to make sure it's the same wattage (TDP) which is isn't hard. I wouldn't recommend it.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You'd have to have some serious soldering skills in order to desolder and resolder a processor. One slip up and it's done for.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Every processor in Apple's portable line is soldered on, though in the desktops they are socketed. If you wanted to unsolder all 775 or so pins, feel free to attempt to replace it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You'd have to have some serious soldering skills in order to desolder and resolder a processor. One slip up and it's done for.

Actually you need some serious equipment and some of the monkey training to use it.

Need one of the fancy thermal rework stations that heats the board up hot enough to melt the solder, and do it again to resolder the new CPU board.

Too dumb a monkey using the station, and chips start popping off, or melting plastic parts.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
christ

Ahh I didn't think so. Why do they always have to bring out something new just after i buy a product!!! >.< It happened with my iPod too haha. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, imagine that. Sometime after you buy a piece of technology, they upgrade it.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I mean, that's how tech. works.

You buy it, three months later something else comes out that's better for the original money you spent.

The point is, you get the usage out of whatever you bought and don't have regrets for not having waited.

For instance, I bought this thing when the refresh came out for the Macbooks several months ago. It was a bargain refurbished.

I probably wouldn't have noticed the 200 MHZ upgrade anyways, since I upgraded the HDD and RAM myself. Apple charges too much for hard drive and memory upgrades. It's understandable though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.