Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahrenba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Hi there,

I am sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize.

I am looking at getting a 2.4ghz MacBook, and then upgrading the RAM to 4GB.

My question is: How well does Windows Vista run in parallels on the MacBook?

I have watched a few videos of XP running in parallels and it seems to be just fine, but what about Vista?

Can you give me some experiences that you guys have had? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, do you prefer parallels, or VMware? Thanks

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Couldn't tell you about Parallels but Vista works fairly decently on here in VMWare Fusion. It gets quite snappy if you turn off Aero too. Only issue I have with it is that it sometimes likes to slow down drastically when reading from the SuperDrive. And I have no idea why.

cmuench

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
Well I actually used to run Parallels for a vista vm. However the performance wasn't that great and it seemed like it locked up quite a bit. Also the virtual applicances were kind of lacking. Lots of "shareware" ones.

so I got vmware fusion from where I work. And I love it. I have Vista running with 768 mem, and 2 windows servers with 512 each and it all runs comfortably. Vista flys when its the only one running.
In fact I would run vista and then rdp into it from college and I couldn't even tell that it was a vm. And I was running visual Studio.

anyway just my 2 cents. If I were you I would download the trial and see how it works for you.

ahrenba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Well I actually used to run Parallels for a vista vm. However the performance wasn't that great and it seemed like it locked up quite a bit. Also the virtual applicances were kind of lacking. Lots of "shareware" ones.

so I got vmware fusion from where I work. And I love it. I have Vista running with 768 mem, and 2 windows servers with 512 each and it all runs comfortably. Vista flys when its the only one running.
In fact I would run vista and then rdp into it from college and I couldn't even tell that it was a vm. And I was running visual Studio.

anyway just my 2 cents. If I were you I would download the trial and see how it works for you.
When you say vista runs good when it's the only run running, what do you mean by this? That it runs in fusion along with OSX?

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
It will run, however XP will be faster.

Just go onto YouTube and type in "Vista on MacBook".

BTW: Just a tip, try VirtualBox before spending money on Parallels. I bet it could do what you want parallels to do for free.

ahrenba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
It will run, however XP will be faster.

Just go onto YouTube and type in "Vista on MacBook".

BTW: Just a tip, try VirtualBox before spending money on Parallels. I bet it could do what you want parallels to do for free.

K, I'll try that. I am actually leaning more towards VMWare now. I have looked on YouTube and haven't seen very many good vids.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Forget VirtualBox, it's not ready for primetime. Maybe in the next version...

Stick with Fusion or Parallels for now.

Regards.

But it's worth at least trying it before spending money on something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.