PDA

View Full Version : SOME MAC genius, please help

blueflame
Jan 4, 2004, 01:15 PM
alright, here is the deal. in another thread there is something that says speed up your boot time in 10.3

it requires that i put this into terminal

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

well, i did it
and now when i restart my computer i dont have that pretty grey apple instead i have like old dos booting. PLUS, i have to type logout in order to continue booting, becuase it stops until i type that

my question is, how do i undo this?
I really appreciate any help, thank you
Andreas

edesignuk
Jan 4, 2004, 01:21 PM
this might* fix it:
sudo nvram boot-args=""

*not a guarantee

oh, and btw, it's Mac not MAC ;) :eek: :D

7on
Jan 4, 2004, 01:27 PM
All that does is create a folder called BootCacheControl in the /usr/sbin folder

did you type it right?

type in

sudo rm -R /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

But that's assuming you typed in the previous command right.

mactastic
Jan 4, 2004, 02:01 PM
Oooo sudo rm commands... this could get interesting. Type carefullly, don't mess that one up!

blueflame
Jan 4, 2004, 02:58 PM
neither of those are working, dammit, i hate having to type logout everytime I restart, i hate the command line look. I miss my pretty apple look
ANdreas

edesignuk
Jan 4, 2004, 03:01 PM
In that case, I say you go after Wes, it's all his fault (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53444&highlight=sholder) ;) :D

Wes
Jan 4, 2004, 03:03 PM
Try this: ls /usr/sbin/

(at this dos'ish prompt) and tell us if there is anything close to BootCacheControl, maybe you missed a letter while copying it over.

jeff.macaddict
Jan 4, 2004, 03:52 PM
Look on p2p for the same instructions. That comes wih instructions on how to undo it. Uhh, screw it. I'll do it for you.

You should have typed this (then restart x2):

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

If that doesn't work, try this (then restart x2):

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin

Please tell me/us how it turns out. If you really mess up your machine to the point of no boot, remember, you (should) have a bootable Panther disk. If you re-install the system software, (just the core) that'll fix it and put you back at sqaure one.

blueflame
Jan 4, 2004, 04:28 PM
thank you everyone, i got it fixed. whew, that was a scare for me.
this is what makes apple so great, the community.
thanks everyone
Andreas