Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darklevel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
UK
Hi

I need to install Vista on my MacBook(Leopard) so I am going to purchase Home Premium with SP1 on the disk, I need to know will this work with boot camp, can I simply install the copy of vista then use the bootcamp 2.1 update.

I have tried searching for a definite answer but I have just found a lot of conflicting information

Any help that you could provide would be appreciated.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I don't... think... that you can use an SP1 disk. I think that you have to use a pre-SP1 disk and then update.

Something to do with the way it handles EFI. I could very well be wrong, that's just what I've heard.

Darklevel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
UK
Thanks for the reply, looks like i am going to have to find a pre SP1 copy of vista.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I believe you are correct Tallest Skil

I think the preferred install is SP2

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

a neon light

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I think it works

I just installed Vista SP1 the other day and it worked fine, after I just used Apple Software Update to installed the 2.1 stuff.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Again, I could be wrong, but I have heard that Vista with SP1 integrated changed its EFI handling to make it unusable (?) in Boot Camp...

You are right. I wasted several days to get it work. Sleep function is still not working 100% though.

Darklevel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
UK
It worked

I did it. it was either that or buy a new PC.

Everything seemes fine, I installed the 2.1 update and all the vista updates, there were no problems during the install and everything is working as it should.

Thank you to every one who responded, if i encouter any problems i will update this thread.

I did this on a Mid 2007 Macbook with vista home premium

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.