Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkroom

Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
i've noticed that NSFileManager has an attribute to hide the files extension, but what if i want to make the whole file hidden?

i understand i could simply add a "." to the beginning of the file name, but how are hidden files written that don't have "." at the beginning of their name? i read somewhere it has to do with setting the hidden attribute in the resource fork of the file, but how can i access/set that resource fork from my cocoa app?

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I've been reading for quite a while since I read your question... and it doesn't seem like there is a Cocoa way to do this. There is a pair of calls, getattrlist and setattrlist that seem to do this, but I cannot find any real example on how to do this. These get called by SetFile when you run it with -a V <filename> (I found this with ktrace/kdump). They're called through some carbon calls, namely:
http://developer.apple.com/document...ence.html#//apple_ref/c/func/FSSetCatalogInfo
(found this breaking on getattrlist and setattrlist in gdb and doing a backtrace)

I don't think there is a Cocoa way to do this.

Maybe there's a different tact you can take? Put the file in an already hidden directory?

-Lee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.