Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youashwag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
If GPS would come to the new ipod touch do u need to be by a wifi to be able to use it or will it solely use satellites the whole time so u can use it anytime?

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
maybe that's why there isn't any GPS on the iPod Touch. ;)

[sarcasm]Hey! I got a great idea! Why not store the maps in the device itself so it doesn't need GPS! Apparently noone has ever thought of that, I'm a genius![/sarcasm]

that, or a lot of people are misinformed or can't think outside of the wi-fi box.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
It would require GPS if it used Google Maps (to download them) but it wouldn't if someone made an app that had all the maps and stuff in it like garmin or something.

youashwag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
so does the iphone use cell towers or satellites? isnt that what the gps chip is used in the iphone so it can use the satellites?

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
[sarcasm]Hey! I got a great idea! Why not store the maps in the device itself so it doesn't need GPS! Apparently noone has ever thought of that, I'm a genius![/sarcasm]

that, or a lot of people are misinformed or can't think outside of the wi-fi box.

well it takes up quite a bit of space

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
....google mgmaps

have a look at some of his work and you'll see what's possible. I've got 'offline' maps on my Blackberry and I can even use the GPS maps when the EDGE/Wifi networks are not working.......all maps are stored on my Blackberry's MicroSD card.

I see no reason why somebody won't attempt a similar thing for the iphone/iPod.....it's only a matter of time.......Personally, I am hanging out for TomTom to swing into action.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
so does the iphone use cell towers or satellites? isnt that what the gps chip is used in the iphone so it can use the satellites?

It uses both. It uses cell tower or wifi-based positioning to estimate its current location, which speeds up the process of acquiring a GPS satellite. Once it has the satellite, it uses that to do the precise positioning. The GPS should also work without cell or wifi service, but it will take longer for it to start up and of course you need some offline source of map data.

musok

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
interesting topic. so conclusion: ipod touch with 2.1 firmware will able to "gps" location with wi-fi.
well, since gps is just a little chip... i'm certain that apple will introduce that chip on ipod touch... but... when will it be that keynote?

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I second that

I would say fourthed! but no. Lol Yes i aggree, even on the iPhone i would give away 1GB of space to get maps there all the time

Fourth-ed. Or fifth-ed.

I've been quoted 4 times! I must be right! ;)

But seriously, a GPS receiver on the iPod Touch with already-downloaded maps would be SO nice and useful. And just think of all the apps that would go along with it. And it would be great not to have to carry a separate receiver, if I want GPS.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I agree that real GPS on the iPod Touch would be cool.

On the original question, the current model iPod touch does not have a built in GPS chip, cell receiver, or bluetooth. It has wifi only.

You can get "sudo" GPS if you are in range of a free wifi hot spot or one you subscribe to. Wifi hot spots do not have much range, perhaps 100 feet? So you quickly are out of touch. You have mapquest or google directions to your destination but no current location information until you are in wifi range of another hot spot. You will not have real time turn by turn guidance like a typical GPS unit would have.

So until Apple incorporates a GPS chip and antenna, or less acurate cell receiver, or bluetooth into the touch, I think we are out of luck.

The iPhone has the cell receiver and I think most phones now have a gps chip for 911 purposes.

All those GPS receivers and maps designed to augment bluetooth PDAs are useless for the iPod touch. Putting bluetooth into the iPod touch may be a better way to get GPS to it... or perhaps Navman or someone else will develope a GPS receiver that has a wifi interface.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I agree that real GPS on the iPod Touch would be cool.

On the original question, the current model iPod touch does not have a built in GPS chip, cell receiver, or bluetooth. It has wifi only.

You can get "sudo" GPS if you are in range of a free wifi hot spot or one you subscribe to. Wifi hot spots do not have much range, perhaps 100 feet? So you quickly are out of touch. You have mapquest or google directions to your destination but no current location information until you are in wifi range of another hot spot. You will not have real time turn by turn guidance like a typical GPS unit would have.

So until Apple incorporates a GPS chip and antenna, or less acurate cell receiver, or bluetooth into the touch, I think we are out of luck.

The iPhone has the cell receiver and I think most phones now have a gps chip for 911 purposes.

All those GPS receivers and maps designed to augment bluetooth PDAs are useless for the iPod touch. Putting bluetooth into the iPod touch may be a better way to get GPS to it... or perhaps Navman or someone else will develope a GPS receiver that has a wifi interface.

How small have GPS receivers gotten down to? Surely they could cram one in, making the Touch just a bit larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.