PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Black Comedy, Saitirical Cerebral Flicks....

krossfyter
Jan 4, 2004, 05:34 PM
This is by far by favorite genera in movies.
I like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Fight Club... older flicks like Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove etc... to name a few.

Is there any new ones in the movie world worth watching or perhaps ones that ive missed? I love plot twists, movies that hit you in the head... cerebral, irony and a big dose of dark or black humor. These movies have to be kinda allegorical pointing towards something grander lying underneath... and indictment on society, ideas or world-views etc.

Just wanted to see if any of you all could help me out in discovering new ones... especially ones that may be out in the theater right now. I often ask myself... I wonder what the Lock Stock and Fight Club types of people are praising right now. I am usually late on finding about new movies because I don't have personal connections to these types of people and haven't really found a site that focuses these types of movies.

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 05:51 PM
Did you see Identity (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0309698/)? That would probably be right up your alley.

The style and feel is a bit different from the movies you've listed, but you might try Frailty (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/). It has a great twist and it will make you think.

Also, one of the best plot twists ever is in Presumed Innocent, but I would strongly recommend the book (by Scott Turow) over the movie.

Edit: I missed the satire bit. None of these are really satirical. But one of the reasons I like Frailty is that it messes with some basic conventions of filmmaking in ways you wouldn't expect. You could make a case for it being satirical in a subtle sort of way.

logicat2001
Jan 4, 2004, 06:11 PM
Man Bites Dog (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ManBitesDog-1042730/)

krossfyter
Jan 4, 2004, 06:20 PM
Cool thanks I will mark them movies down as ones to rent next when im at the video store. Man Bites Dog and Frailty sound like something I would want to check out... as well as Identity... even if its not ironic or satirical.

Man Bites dog sounds like its dealing with some of the same stuff that Fight Club dealt with on violence that is.

latergator116
Jan 4, 2004, 09:29 PM
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was a great movie! I have Dr. Strangelove on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet.

krossfyter
Jan 5, 2004, 02:34 AM
Damn straight... L.S.T.S.B is awsome.
I remember the first time watching it... I was in shock because It was the first time I got introduced to the cockney accent.. which there is a lot of in this movie. I couldnt make sense of things. I had to watch it again and again and understand a little more about cockney to be able to really appreciate the flick.

kettle
Jan 5, 2004, 04:23 AM
Brazil?:)

Stike
Jan 5, 2004, 06:14 AM
"Session 9"
Possibly one of the most terrifying "no effects" psycho-terror movies ever made. Recommended. I love it :D

logicat2001
Jan 5, 2004, 11:19 AM
I absolutely second "Brazil".

Brilliant movie.

neut
Jan 5, 2004, 12:31 PM
'momentum' you have to see this movie!

and of course all the Lynch films (Mahulland sp? Drive, Twin Peaks, Lost Highway <very good>, Blue Velvet...).

the Game was good.

Waking Life is excellent.

can't think of any right now...

peace.

rueyeet
Jan 5, 2004, 01:40 PM
Hmm, a lot of that original list sounds like you've got a thing for those edgy, ultra-hip violent ones. Check out Tarantino's Jackie Brown; it's a bit more subtle than his usual shoot-outs but well worth it. Catch Me If You Can was a good one in the smart-heist genre, though it's more of a study of where lies begin and truth ends in self-definition than it is a condemnation of society. Good heisty things that don't meet your other criteria, but make good watching and feel somewhat like the others you mentioned are the recent remakes The Italian Job and Ocean's Eleven.

If you're up for the what's-my-reality mind-benders with less satire and more weird, then try eXistenz, Dark City, and hmmm, maybe Thirteenth Floor too. Also Baron Munchausen, though that's more quaint than it looks like you'd go for. And yes, I guess the Lynch stuff goes in that basket too, though I've always found him much overrated--too much weirdness for weirdness' sake in his stuff: "look! I'm obscure! it must be Art!".

Also good for allegory and social commentary, as well as just being fun movies: Check out anything by the Coen brothers (Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, and Intolerable Cruelty are the ones I've seen).

My neighbor who keeps trying to get me to watch Brazil (which indeed is probably right up your alley) also keeps trying to get me to watch Death to Smootchy, which he just puts in the category of "wrong". If you like those, you might check out Monty Python's Life of Brian and the Meaning of Life.

You can probably tell from this list that I'm not as much into the ultraviolence bit...hope that's not a problem. Have fun!

Awimoway
Jan 5, 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by rueyeet
My neighbor who keeps trying to get me to watch Brazil (which indeed is probably right up your alley)

I recommend Brazil to anyone concerned about the war on terrorism and the "Patriot" Act. It was made in the Eighties, but is extremely relevant to the post-9/11 world. Great, great satire. Anything by Terry Gilliam (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000416/), originally a writer for Monty Python's Flying Circus, is worth seeing, if a bit absurdist.

alxths
Jan 5, 2004, 03:04 PM
Ok ok, you see, a white man drives his car like this "doo be dip dit doo" and a black man drives like this: "ba dmp ch, ch ch ch dmp ba dmp" .. sorry, couldn't resist.. good old simpsons.

Anyways, Gangster No9 is quite good...

and, i dont know if it necessarly falls into any of your requested catagories.. but i feel like i should mention "the vanishing"... it's french though, so if you can't dig subtitles then nevermind.

edit: forgot about "ravenous"

neut
Jan 5, 2004, 03:07 PM
oh yeah,

12 monkeys and Pi.

peace.

JDar
Jan 5, 2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by neut
oh yeah,
12 monkeys and Pi.

12 Monkeys and Fight Club are two that most critics didn't seem to get. Magnolia had a lot to think about, too.

kettle
Jan 8, 2004, 05:49 AM
12 monkeys (love it more than brazil entertainment wise)
Pi ? (not really comedy)
vanilla sky (not really comedy)
Donnie Darko (really much more to think about than a giant bunny and 80's retro)
gattaca (genetics)
frequencey (data swapping across time using Ham Radio)
Being John Malcovich (worm holes?)

I'll think of more

Raid
Jan 8, 2004, 11:05 AM
If you want interesting, atypical films then I would suggest "Memento" (http://www.hollywood.com/movies/reviews/movie/385443) and I strongly recomend getting the dvd and watching it twice. The first time I watched it in it's 'normal' reverse-linear format, and thought it was a very interesting way to unfold the story. The DVD has the option to watch it in a linear format, which to me totaly changed the feeling from interesting mind job, to a tragic hero flick.

I would also recommend "Nine Queens" (http://www.hollywood.com/movies/reviews/movie/1107927), it's about two con men set in Buenos Aires (subtitled). I don't want to give anything away, but I guess I liked it because it held my intrest and piqued my curiosity.

dynamicd
Jan 8, 2004, 11:14 AM
I haven't seen it yet but have heard lots of great reviews is Lost in Translation with Bill Murray. If it's playing around you, go check it out.

MattG
Jan 9, 2004, 07:25 AM
I love Coen Brothers movies, and when you mentioned that you like plot twists, dark movies, etc., it made me think of their movie "The Man Who Wasn't There." I really enjoyed this movie. It's VERY slow moving however, and you have to be the type of person that can sit through that kind of movie to enjoy it. Check it out!

g30ffr3y
Jan 9, 2004, 01:14 PM
"ichi the killer" is a great movie if you have the stomach for it... also no one mentioned "requiem for a dream" one of the more disturbing films to think about...

i can absolutely vouch for "donnie darko", "12 monkeys" and "magnolia"

oh... one more small comment... "identity" is great, witty, interesting and then it all goes to hell once you find out what exactly is going on... the movie sucks after that, which sucks, because it was so good...

neut
Jan 9, 2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by g30ffr3y
... also no one mentioned "requiem for a dream" one of the more disturbing films to think about...

i can't believe i forgot to mention this film!!! I even own the DVD! excellent movie.

'Spirited Away' is also a great film...and so is 'Reservoir Dogs'. :D

peace.

Roger1
Jan 9, 2004, 05:00 PM
I think Fargo is pretty good. Serious movie with a healthy (?) splash of dark comedy.