PDA

View Full Version : Please help! My itouch isn't working!

TheBattleOx
Aug 2, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well, right now I am pretty freakin depressed because I am pretty sure I just bricked my ipod. Basically what happened was, I had just started updating a couple of apps when I realized that one of them was frozen in the installing state...so I turned off my ipod to restart the installing process. Yea, I know...probably not the smartest thing to do but I had no other choice, it was frozen.

Now, when I turn on my ipod it freezes at the apple logo and wont go past it. So , obviously I though to restore it to factory settings...and here comes the weird part. If I try to open up itunes with this ipod plugged in, not only will it not be recognized, it also freezes itunes. So I was angry and unplugged my ipod...and of course for some reason when I unplug the ipod for about a second the picture of the ipod shows up with restore/update page where it shows you memory useage and stuff but it only stays up for a second because I unplugged the ipod. I have tried this a couple times so I know it's not just because I am not letting load for a long enough time.

I would soooo appreciate any help I can get, I love my ipod and would be really sad to know that it's dead beyond repair.... please help!!!

MattGTO
Aug 2, 2008, 02:13 PM
You might wanna search the forums next time you post...threads with exactly the same problem pop up very frequently.

Here is what you need to do (I had to do it 4 times since I upgraded to 2.0):

Open iTunes, close everything else. Dock your iPod. Now, turn it on. Once the apple logo shows up, press and hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button, and keep holding them until it suts off, and turns back on. When the apple logo reappears, (you should still be holding both buttons) let go of the sleep/wake button, whilst still holding the home button. After 20 seconds max, the "Connect to iTunes" screen should show up on your iPod. iTune should now give you a message saying that you need to restore. Do it, and after about 3 hours, your iPod will be working again. Note: if you can't get this to work the first time, try again until it works. Once it took me 5 or 6 tries to get the connect to itunes logo to show up.

Good luck:D

mekopolis
Aug 2, 2008, 02:14 PM
this has happened three times to me

here is what you do

Step-by-Step:

1. Turn the iPhone ON
2. CONNECT it to the dock
3. Make sure iTunes is open so you'll know when it enters DFU mode
4. HOLD the Power/Sleep-Wake button AND the Home button for 10 seconds
5. RELEASE only the Power/Sleep-Wake button and continue to hold the Home button
6. WAIT until iTunes recognizes the phone in DFU Restore mode (in Windows a bubble pops up saying it recognized new hardware "DFU Mode" or something to that effect)
The last step may take SOME TIME, like, say, even 60 seconds or so. The screen should be OFF (black), if you see the "Connect to iTunes" logo, START OVER. It may take a few tries to do the steps just right, just reboot (hold both Power/Sleep-Wake AND Home until the Apple logo appears and the phone turns back on) then try again.

mekopolis
Aug 2, 2008, 02:17 PM
oh, and the bad part, you will lose all your data, your backup restore point most likely wont work
and after you spend all the time restoring the ipod, you have to load all your songs, movies, and apps on again

my lesson learned is do not update apps via the app wifi installer
because the iphone does one thing at a time, and it you try to multitask, it will freeze....all the times the touch crashed like that, was updating via the installer....so i wont touch that program until 2.1 fixes it, hopefully

reddevil865
Aug 2, 2008, 02:19 PM
I would help you but i dont know what a itouch is:D:

TheBattleOx
Aug 2, 2008, 02:30 PM
Yea, I'm sorry I didn't realize this was a common problem to me it was pretty weird, I already have it fixed and redownloading my apps. Sorry for that. I am sooo happy though it works :)

scotty96LSC
Aug 2, 2008, 03:22 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Another good example of the forums helping out.:apple: