Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I see someone posted one already but I thought I'd share my 2c. I have all the "major" skins and I've tried to compare them a bit.

You can read the full thing here with all the pictures and the after application/after 24 hours pics, but here's my conclusion:

I would recommend this above the BestSkinsEver if the extra price doesn't bother you. I would absolutely recommend this over the InvisibleShield because it costs less and its a better product.

The Bodyguardz skin is a fine product and definitely high quality. While they can’t quite beat the price of the super-cheap and no frills BestSkinsEver, they are definitely a cut above in simplicity and ease of application (less tabs and folds, included application spray). The clarity also looks slightly better in a direct comparison. If you find a friend who needs a skin and is willing to split the cost, you’re looking at about $13 for the Bodyguardz full package. This is only $5 more than the BestSkinsEver, but the double pack’s $25 price tag is enough to make a difference if you aren’t splitting up.

The comparison most are probably looking for is Bodyguardz vs. InvisibleShield, as they are comparable in price and product, and competing for the same marketshare. I can say without hesitation that I recommend the Bodyguardz shield. Zagg has shown themselves as a very poor company in my, and the experiences of others, so I try to avoid them where possible. I removed my iPhone invisibleshield already so I couldn’t judge relative clarity, but I believe them to be negligible in difference. The application process is almost identical and I can’t give a nod in either direction. The clincher? Bodyguardz includes two skins in their $24.99 purchase price, so you’re getting twice the value for the same money.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
heres a quick question.. what happens when you take it off?? do they all come off clean with no residue on the phone? I was thinking about buying one and ditching the hard case. Do you NEED to put the screen protector on? Or can you just protect the back and sides??

i REALLY woudl like to have a naked iphone, but i dont trust myself. I dropped it atleast 5 times in the last 5 months, and two times were a drop without the cas e(which is dealt with just fine BTW)

I feel like now that i am used to the feel of the phone, and i havent dropped it as much, i will be ok with just a skin..

What do you think?? I dont know

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
heres a quick question.. what happens when you take it off?? do they all come off clean with no residue on the phone? I was thinking about buying one and ditching the hard case. Do you NEED to put the screen protector on? Or can you just protect the back and sides??

i REALLY woudl like to have a naked iphone, but i dont trust myself. I dropped it atleast 5 times in the last 5 months, and two times were a drop without the cas e(which is dealt with just fine BTW)

I feel like now that i am used to the feel of the phone, and i havent dropped it as much, i will be ok with just a skin..

What do you think?? I dont know

Yes, they come off clean. The solution is just baby shampoo and water for all the products so a quick whipe with a towel will clear off whatever might be left (little bits of soap or anything).

A skin is a must. I've had 6 iphones since they were released and all have had scratches. If you want to keep it clean, put a skin on.

Remember, the new iPhone 3g (I'm assuming you have a 3g now) doesn't have an aluminum back, so it doesn't dent when you drop it.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
nope.. i dont have a 3G, i still have my 5 month old beat up iphone.. i just dont want any MORE scratches on it..

I also am not a fan of the touch through films, they just dont FEEL right to me.. i like the naked screen, and it is REALLY scratch resistant.

My BIGGEST fear when choosing to go with a skin vs. a case is that with the case on, if the phone goes sliding across the ground face first, the edges on the case keep the screen from touching the floor, but with a skin, there isnt that little bezel, so it doesnt protect the screen in that way.

i just LOVE the look and feel of the phone naked, but i'm a clutz and a multitasker when i am on the phone, i am just scared to go the skin way.

stevin

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I'd like to see some closeups of the corners and back please. don't really care about the front... but a picture from that far doesn't say much (looks amazing...) but my 2 piece BSE looks the same from that far away.

I'd like to see the corners more than anything.. because they are a pain :)

BTW... Looks like a beautiful application!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'd like to see some closeups of the corners and back please. don't really care about the front... but a picture from that far doesn't say much (looks amazing...) but my 2 piece BSE looks the same from that far away.

I'd like to see the corners more than anything.. because they are a pain :)

BTW... Looks like a beautiful application!

I'll snap a few in a minute. I've got a true macro lens (Nikkor 55mm micro with extension tubes) so I can usually get the corners pretty well. They look good, by the way, top are better than bottom but they're all adhering well.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Here is the worst corner:

I didn't bother with the macro, sorry, but I feel like you can get the gist from this.

2726033131_02715178af_b.jpg

stevin

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Here is the worst corner:

I didn't bother with the macro, sorry, but I feel like you can get the gist from this.

Thanks! Looks real sharp.. When it comes to putting on skins I think patience is the key... and I'm sure you took your sweet time

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Thanks! Looks real sharp.. When it comes to putting on skins I think patience is the key... and I'm sure you took your sweet time

Nope, 3 minutes tops. I put skins on all the time though and its down to a bit of a science, part of the life of a tech blogger.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Does anyone know if there is duty, brokerage or import taxes on the Bodyguardz when shipping to Canada?

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
iron?? What if you burn the phone itself. Have you tried it. I'd like to know as I have the same issue.

See my picture on the BodyGuardz review thread. The iron is set on synthetic, the lowest fabric setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.