PDA

View Full Version : Apple Trademarks and MWSF?

MacRumors
Jan 4, 2004, 10:44 PM
With the Expo just days away, a few things to remember is some recent (and not so recent) Trademarks that have been filed by Apple.

Last year, Apple released "Keynote", a presentation application, at MacWorld San Francisco 2003. "Keynote" had been trademarked by Apple 2 months prior (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021013024617.shtml).

Junkyard (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/07/20020726125613.shtml), Xgrid (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/11/20021102090635.shtml), and iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/12/20021203005112.shtml) were trademarked in 2002... while iWrite (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031215211535.shtml) and Garage Band (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/09/20030914034831.shtml) are more recent acquisitions. One unconfirmed rumor has claimed that Garage Band may be the name of an upcoming Apple consumer application -- but this information can not be verified.

macnews
Jan 4, 2004, 10:47 PM
iPhone could be interesting, but Garage Band?? Never know with Apple though. Interesting to note iBox is not, to my knowledge, trademarked by Apple. Does anyone else know who owns that trademark?

[edit] Xgrid would be cool if tied in with the Xserve as you (Alset) mentioned. I hope we see some Xserve updates. Stick a G5 in there and I will be buying one this summer.

alset
Jan 4, 2004, 10:49 PM
iPhone has me interested, as well. Garage band sounds similar to Soundtrack. XGrid seems like an XServe-farm, perhaps. Junkyard doesn't sound like an Apple product at all, even if it is TMed.

Dan

merges
Jan 4, 2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by macnews
iPhone could be interesting, but Garage Band?? Never know with Apple though. Interesting to note iBox is not, to my knowledge, trademarked by Apple. Does anyone else know who owns that trademark?

I have some doubts about Apple ever calling something "iBox", because of the existence of X-Box (or however it's written). Nasty confusion would be rampant. Actually I am not really sure how deeply one can read into these things; iPod would have been a complete mystery, and I don't think Apple would let something as obvious as, say, iMovie, slip out that easily.

From Win to Mac
Jan 4, 2004, 11:00 PM
iWrite sounds a little stupid, IMHO.

i hope it's not the wordprocessor-equivalent of Keynote

fatbarstard
Jan 4, 2004, 11:01 PM
Now that sounds way cool... I've got a Kyocera 7135 but I'd rather have an Apple phone (with built in iPod)... bet they would do a deal with a existing manufacturer for the phone bits to keep costs down... maybe this is the new PDA rumours keep popping up about....

Garage Band.... I know what one is... but software?? maybe it would be a cut down mixing/recording applicaiton for those still learning to play (school kids??)... maybe it would be better coming from Mattel??? http://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=53649#

oingoboingo
Jan 4, 2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by fatbarstard Garage Band.... I know what one is... but software?? maybe it would be a cut down mixing/recording applicaiton for those still learning to play (school kids??)... maybe it would be better coming from Mattel??? http://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=53649# [/B]

Wasn't there some speculation that this may be an iTunes Music Store related thing where new and indie bands could get their music published? Has anyone heard anything more about that?

pexe
Jan 4, 2004, 11:13 PM
wasnt there a rumor that said apple and nokia would make a cell phone together?? i remember reading bout it somewhere...

gregorypierce
Jan 4, 2004, 11:14 PM
Garage Band could be a successor to Soundtrack or something that is purely music composition as opposed to composition and video synchronization. If so, I'm in. I love Soundtrack and would love a pure music composition program as well. Could also have something to do with the new iPods or some sort of software for sharing independent music or something.

iWrite? Bleh. Unless Apple has been doing a native port of OpenOffice, KOffice, AbiWord, etc - why bother. The days of paying for office suites and their kin is very rapidly coming to an end - must to the chagrin of Microsoft.

iPhone? If they do it, I'll preorder the moment its done. Especially if it is a PDA/Phone combo. Why Apple isn't going after this space if beyond me. I can't think of a single Apple owner who wouldn't go after either one.

XGrid - large numbers of XServes working on grid projects? Sure - makes sense. Roll your own supercomputer from Apple.

silvergunuk
Jan 4, 2004, 11:14 PM
Garage Band hey? Could this be the new sound app weve all been hearing about lately?

Awimoway
Jan 4, 2004, 11:16 PM
None of those sound like a set top box, but Apple has surprised us before with product names that didn't show up on the trademark radar.

kjdenison
Jan 4, 2004, 11:17 PM
An app that allows for playback through soundsticks while recording would be amazing. Cubase SX does not allow this. I would love to see apple put out a sound recording program. Soundtrack is more of a loop thing. Really would be nice. I have to use my windows computer to record with Sonar3 because it will play through my computer speakers.

mac15
Jan 4, 2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah if so I'm loving these new names for apps, Safari is the best one :)
Garage band would be a great name for a consumer audio app

Waluigi
Jan 4, 2004, 11:25 PM
I'm don't have an advanced degree in marketing, but doesn't a product named 'garage band' sound a bit demeaning, and not something you'd buy? If they do have an app for audio composing or publishing to iTMS, I would center around words like 'independent' or 'creative' rather then garage band....

--Waluigi

AirUncleP
Jan 4, 2004, 11:27 PM
I thought it would be called iTracks but it looks like Apple wants to call it Garage Band. I approve.

pyrotoaster
Jan 4, 2004, 11:27 PM
Garage Band would be a great name for a consumer audio app.

As for an iPhone... It isn't going to happen. Maybe someday, when Apple will be able to bring more to the market, but not now. Americans just aren't as cell phone savvy as they need to be for an Apple phone (can you blame us? Reception across half the nation sucks). Maybe someday, but not Tuesday.

Faeylyn
Jan 4, 2004, 11:29 PM
Looking for the set-top box? Try this: Trademark #78269492. Name: AU

Like all trademarks, it goes overboard in the description - just in case they want to add stuff later - to cover them legally. But there are certain key words in this one that aren't in others. Here's the description so you don't have to search:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: computers; computer software; computer hardware; computer peripherals; handheld computers; computer servers; cellular phones; data storage devices; electronic games; video game machines; computer terminals; set top boxes; video projectors; radios; speakers; microphones; headphones; earphones; tuners; computer firmware; computer utility software; scanners; monitors; touchscreens; modems; keyboards; mice; trackballs; trackpads; light pens; joysticks; game controllers; graphics tablets; digitizers; adapter cards; cables and connectors; magneto-optical drives; hard disk drives; floppy disk drives; PCMCIA drives; cartridge and tape drives; CD-ROM drives; CD-recordable (CD-R) drives; CD-rewritable (CD-RW) drives; DVD-ROM drives; DVD-recordable (DVD-R) drives; DVD- rewritable (DVD+RW) drives; solid state storage devices; RAID arrays; mass storage devices; network interfaces; consumer electronic devices; telephones; personal digital assistants (PDAs); digital video recorders; videotape recorders; televisions, digital televisions; stereo receivers; DVD players; CD players; MP3 players; digital audio players and recorders; audio amplifiers; music synthesizers; video special effects generators; still cameras; video cameras; digital cameras; video decks; video converters; telecommunications equipment; parts and fittings for all of the aforesaid goods.

tYNS
Jan 4, 2004, 11:33 PM
A friend of mine went to WWDC . He took a tour of Apple and overheard a few employees commenting -- "This iWrite app is gunna be cool". Again this was around WWDC time. I am not crapping either. My friend told me about this quite a few months ago. iWrite is definitely going to happen, if not now, soon...

arn
Jan 4, 2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Faeylyn
Looking for the set-top box? Try this: Trademark #78269492. Name: AU

AU = Audio Units, I believe.

arn

Freg3000
Jan 4, 2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by arn
AU = Audio Units, I believe.

arn

I think so too.

jade
Jan 5, 2004, 12:49 AM
junkyard: file restore software? Retrieve your stuff from the trash

Awimoway
Jan 5, 2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by jade
junkyard: file restore software? Retrieve your stuff from the trash

That's a good guess, but it sounds like the kind of thing that would be a feature bundled with a new OS release, not a major new product release at, say, MWSF. In fact, if Junkyard ever sees the light of day, I bet it will be exactly what you say. So I guess we won't see it on Tuesday.

cr2sh
Jan 5, 2004, 03:23 AM
"Oh... Mr. Fancy with your garage..."
"What do you call it?"
"It's a car hole!"

No way apple would release a program and call it "garage band"... nothing classy about that at all.

dhns
Jan 5, 2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by From Win to Mac
iWrite sounds a little stupid, IMHO.

i hope it's not the wordprocessor-equivalent of Keynote

Could (Should?) be a new release of Apple Works - even more integrated and compatible in look and feel with Keynote.

dukemeiser
Jan 5, 2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by gregorypierce
iPhone? I can't think of a single Apple owner who wouldn't go after either one.

Living out of the service area. But if Apple were to pare up with US Cellular, I would buy one. Since it has one of the biggest networks, and is great in rural areas. I have actually been holding off buying a phone in hopes that Apple would produce.

I think iWrite must be consumer. That's why Keynote wasn't called iPresent.

drizahy4
Jan 5, 2004, 07:51 AM
iwrite=next generation of inkwell?
never know apple puts out a camera why not have the tablet too.

Lanbrown
Jan 5, 2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by pexe
wasnt there a rumor that said apple and nokia would make a cell phone together?? i remember reading bout it somewhere...

They would be far better off writing software to really sync with the phone then developing a phone or even partnering with a phone manufacturer. If they wrote software to work with Symbian based phones, that would be a good chunk of the Nokia's and a sizeable portion of the PDA/Phone combos.

If Apple were going to have a mobile phone, it would certainly be GSM based as that is over 80% of the mobile users. Then it would have to be a quad band phone so it is a world phone. The GSM/TDMA carriers have around half the market in the US. That would leave a good chunk of the mobile users still on analog (yes there are still people who use it) and CDMA.

iPhone just as easily could be a VoIP software phone.

Lanbrown
Jan 5, 2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by dukemeiser
Living out of the service area. But if Apple were to pare up with US Cellular, I would buy one. Since it has one of the biggest networks, and is great in rural areas. I have actually been holding off buying a phone in hopes that Apple would produce.

I think iWrite must be consumer. That's why Keynote wasn't called iPresent.

I would hardly call them large with 4.3 million customers. They are the eighth largest carrier in the US. If you make a partnership with someone you make it with someone in the top three. To go one step further, they recently sold some property to AT&T Wireless and it was TDMA property at that while the majority of US Cellular is CDMA; so they had/have two different technologies in place. Currently there is not a CDMA/TDMA let alone a CDMA/GSM phone. Samsung is working on a CDMA/GSM but it's not out yet.

As I stated in another post, if they were going to do a phone, it would GSM based since that is by far the world standard. If they came out with one today they would have to continually update it to add new technology. They would be better off staying out of that competitive market.

earlopogous
Jan 5, 2004, 10:23 AM
About the iPhone-Getting a phone that works on all the networks (or at least GSM/CDMA as someone said earlier) would be difficult. I know that i would be mad if the Apple phone didnt work with the Sprint Network, although it would give me a reason to switch. Sprint has a terrible network in atlanta. The network is always busy, and i am always getting dropped calls. But, my parents pay for my plan, so id have to convince them to switch.

bobindashadows
Jan 5, 2004, 11:28 AM
I don't know about Garage Band, seems kind of... mean?

What about Gigawire? I sincerely believe that apple will rebrand Firewire Gigawire eventually. Maybe when it breaks the Gigabit mark in its 1.6Gbps form! That makes sense, right?

gregorypierce
Jan 5, 2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by earlopogous
About the iPhone-Getting a phone that works on all the networks (or at least GSM/CDMA as someone said earlier) would be difficult. I know that i would be mad if the Apple phone didnt work with the Sprint Network, although it would give me a reason to switch. Sprint has a terrible network in atlanta. The network is always busy, and i am always getting dropped calls. But, my parents pay for my plan, so id have to convince them to switch.

Actually that's about par for the course with Sprint. When I finally left sprint after suffering with it in DC Metro, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Key West I swore never to get anything on the Sprint network ever again. I use TMobile in Atlanta on a 3650 and couldn't be happier. Never had a call drop, and with their data services I'm always connected :)