Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hi,

I want to Program. I have no idea where to start, but I know that I want nothing to do with Windows Programing. I have some basic Apple Script knowledge, but other then that, I have no idea. I would really like some suggestions on what languages to start with, and some good resources to learn how to program in those languages. I'm really sorry if I'm being vague here, but I really don't know how I can be more specific. By the way, if it matters, I'm 14 and pretty good at math.

Thanks!

Don

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
this comes up about once a week. Click my username or that of a lot of other frequent posters and you'll find lots of responses to threads like this.

-Lee

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I recommend checking out Python, its a great starting place for learning how to program.

Could you please recommend some resources on how to start programing with python? What do I have to download to start? What is a good book/tutorial for learning python?

Thanks!

Don
(sorry if I'm being to needy!)

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
if you want to get into C/ObjC/Cocoa then go to http://www.cocoalab.com/ and go through their becomeanxcoder tutorial. It assumes you don't know how to program, and it's a great tutorial besides. From there you can find online resources of which there are many, you can get cocoa programming for mac os x (3rd edition), you can get information out of the apple documentation, tutorials, and examples. You can also always ask questions here.

C is probably the most common language, it's a great base language, learning a bit of it will put you in a better position to learn other languages. If you're interested in really getting into C and/or C++, go to http://www.cprogramming.com/. I used cprogramming.com before I found cocoalab and it turned out to be a great place to learn C. It's a few years out of date but it's still valid. You will have to figure out how to compile a C program in xcode though, or find another editor/compiler.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Learning something simple, such as Python or TIBASIC (I learned how to code by fiddling around with that in Algebra), to get you thinking like a programmer is always a good route. Then you can dive into simple, base languages, such as C, at which point moving into modern Object-Oriented languages, such as Obj-C, C++, or Java, will be much easier.

But remember, don't rush things. Take it slow and make sure you learn how to do things right. There is nothing more difficult than unlearning crappy coding practices you picked up when you were first getting started.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Thanks everyone! I'll have to look into python more and C languages. Python seems easier to start with, and I don't want to overwhelm myself and end up hating programing because I over stressed myself. Thanks for all of the info!

Don

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
I think it will help to drive you through the learning process if you have something in mind that you want to program, something that you will find interesting and fascinating enough to keep your interest up. For example you may want to create a simple game, or tool. It will also help in your selection of a language and development environment from the endless number out there. If you're good at maths then you might find the area of graphics and/or physics interesting. You could try writing a simple lunar lander game, or a fractal generator for example. The most important thing though is to have fun.

b e n

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I think it will help to drive you through the learning process if you have something in mind that you want to program, something that you will find interesting and fascinating enough to keep your interest up. For example you may want to create a simple game, or tool. It will also help in your selection of a language and development environment from the endless number out there. If you're good at maths then you might find the area of graphics and/or physics interesting. You could try writing a simple lunar lander game, or a fractal generator for example. The most important thing though is to have fun.

b e n

Thanks!

My eventual goal is to end up working on OS development for Apple (I can dream can't I). But for know I'm really interested in programing some dashboard widgets, and maybe working on some iPhone/iTouch apps. I picked up a book on Python today (Learning Python, By:Mark Lutz) and so far I am finding it pretty easy. Thanks for all your help!

Don

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hey another question guys. What Should I use to write my code in? Can I use xcode, to code in Python? I was reading another thread that said that Coding in xcode can be complicated because of libraries or something like that. Some clarification on that subject would be appreciated!

Don

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hey another question guys. What Should I use to write my code in? Can I use xcode, to code in Python? I was reading another thread that said that Coding in xcode can be complicated because of libraries or something like that. Some clarification on that subject would be appreciated!

Don

I'd use IDLE if you are coding in Python. But you will need to install Xcode anyway.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
Thanks!

My eventual goal is to end up working on OS development for Apple (I can dream can't I). But for know I'm really interested in programing some dashboard widgets, and maybe working on some iPhone/iTouch apps. I picked up a book on Python today (Learning Python, By:Mark Lutz) and so far I am finding it pretty easy. Thanks for all your help!

Don

Sounds like you need to get hold of Apple's Dashboard IDE and learn JavaScript.

JavaScript would be quite a good thing to learn anyway. Have a look at this link https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/webdevel.html. Shell and jsenv are really useful and will let you play around and experiment with JavaScript easily.

b e n

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Sounds like you need to get hold of Apple's Dashboard IDE and learn JavaScript.

JavaScript would be quite a good thing to learn anyway. Have a look at this link https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/webdevel.html. Shell and jsenv are really useful and will let you play around and experiment with JavaScript easily.

b e n

Thanks! I'll play around with Python first though, because so far I'm having very few difficulties with it, and try Javascript later on.

Don

The iKid

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
Thanks! I'll play around with Python first though, because so far I'm having very few difficulties with it, and try Javascript later on.

Don

Hi I'm happy your doing so well. Were the same age and apparently interested in the exact same thing. And we both have the same dreams. Just a question, where can I find this book?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Python is a modern object orientated language. Certainly more modern than C++ and Obj-C anyway.
I realize this, but I mainly suggested it because the learning curve for Python is much less steep than for C++ or Obj-C, and much easier for a beginner to tackle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.