PDA

View Full Version : FileMaker 7, Other Apps at MacWorld?

MacRumors
Jan 5, 2004, 01:19 AM
ThinkSecret updates (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/mwsf04filemaker.html) with some pre-Expo notes about potential 3rd party software related releases at the upcoming Expo.

According to the rumor site, FileMaker Inc will announce Version 7 at MacWorld Expo along with a public demonstration -- though product shipment is not expected until later in the year.

ThinkSecret also echoes (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/tsnotes9.html) some hints at major Discreet Cleaner/Combustion related announcements, Logic updates, a new software synthesizer (Anvil?) and a consumer audio application from Apple.

Awimoway
Jan 5, 2004, 01:33 AM
Not being a prosumer of any kind, the consumer audio app is the most intriguing. What could it be? Some people suggest a mixing app, but that's not really consumer is it?

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I have a feeling Apple is going to stake out completely new territory with something no one has thought of before.

clubsport
Jan 5, 2004, 01:37 AM
I think the consumer music app must be Garage Band. Maybe Garage Band might be a software AND hardware package - with an input device allowing you to connect your amp and microphones to your Mac to record songs, as well as burn pro-quality CDs and demo tapes.

Maybe it will also allow you to submit songs to iTunes and contact music companies? With the connections Apple now has with the music industry, they could do a lot to help upcoming artists.

macomposer
Jan 5, 2004, 01:48 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the long awaited OS X version of Finale will finally roll out tomorrow. Please.

(Finale is an application for music notation -- generating sheet music -- and more of a "pro" than "consumer" app. I have been using it since 1991, and abhor having to launch Classuck whenever I want to use it.)

Perhaps tomorrow will be music oriented, wiith new consumer and pro offerings in music creation, as well as new iTunes and possibly even the little iPods.

Squire
Jan 5, 2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by clubsport
I think the consumer music app must be Garage Band. Maybe Garage Band might be a software AND hardware package - with an input device allowing you to connect your amp and microphones to your Mac to record songs, as well as burn pro-quality CDs and demo tapes.

Maybe it will also allow you to submit songs to iTunes and contact music companies? With the connections Apple now has with the music industry, they could do a lot to help upcoming artists.

That would be very cool.

Originally posted by macomposer
Maybe, just maybe, the long awaited OS X version of Finale will finally roll out tomorrow. Please.

(Finale is an application for music notation -- generating sheet music -- and more of a "pro" than "consumer" app. I have been using it since 1991, and abhor having to launch Classuck whenever I want to use it.)

Perhaps tomorrow will be music oriented, wiith new consumer and pro offerings in music creation, as well as new iTunes and possibly even the little iPods.

And so would that. (Finale's site claims a release target date in January.) I'm coming off a long hiatus from music and some cool new apps would make me get back into music more seriously. One site (several?) reported that Steve's address would definitely be music-centric. I just hope I can afford a few of the new toys.

By the way, is the Finale group (MakeMusic) supposed to be presenting anything at MWSF? <edit: Just checked. I didn't see "Finale" or "MakeMusic" on the list of exhibitors. Damn.>

Squire

ICON
Jan 5, 2004, 04:22 AM
Finally, Filemaker 7, It better be good, The current version requires so many workarounds and plugins to achieve the basics.

I hope that it has FULL OSX Panther Graphics Capabilities, ie it should work just like "APPLE'S INTERFACE BUILDER" does to design layouts, I am so over the "80's- style" of buttons & graphics that filemaker currently provides. I hope that this new version supports tabbed layouts.

Version 6 was a rip-off, they actually got rid of the design toolbars!!, Bring back the toolbars!!!

Some other features I'd like to see are, Email, sending & receiving, graphs & charts, More control over portals, record locking, Variables, Separate Layouts to data ( a must), Built in Developer support, Panther style graphics, Tabbed Layouts, Full multimedia support, user template support, less reliance on third party plug-ins, Portals within Portals, able to change file names of external files. and many more..

Also, There are too many dialog layers in the current version, you can get lost when you make changes, Some Threaded type views of program data would be helpful.

regards

ICON

:) :)

alset
Jan 5, 2004, 04:42 AM
Logic! Wooha! I've been dying to hear what they're doing for us. Possible new softsynth? Sweet! I love the emagic instruments. Gimme a W - Gimme an 00t - what's that spell? w00t!

Dan

iJed
Jan 5, 2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ICON
Some other features I'd like to see are, Email, sending & receiving, graphs & charts, More control over portals, record locking, Variables, Separate Layouts to data ( a must), Built in Developer support, Panther style graphics, Tabbed Layouts, Full multimedia support, user template support, less reliance on third party plug-ins, Portals within Portals, able to change file names of external files. and many more..

What I would like to see in FileMaker Pro 7 is a good new DBMS behind the nice UI. By the sound of things it looks like FileMaker have finally achieved this. At some point soon Apple will have to look to integrating a database into Mac OS X for developers to use. If they do not do this then M$ will take a step ahead of them with the SQL Server based WinFS in Windows Longhorn. Sadly, as it stands today, SQL Server is much much more advanced than FileMaker is. While I doubt Apple/FileMaker can catch up with SQL server in one jump I am pretty sure they can make better design decisions from the start (assuming FM7 uses a new DBMS).

GregA
Jan 5, 2004, 06:03 PM
Although my home is Mac based... my parents' is Windows based. I have sold them on iTunes (especially since they can create compilation CDs of their favourite music, and an MP3 CD with 120 songs to throw it in their DVD player)

They asked me the other day - "can we convert our records (and a few old tapes) to CD so we can remove the turntable and tape player?".

I said I'd think about it. I know there are ways... copy onto the video camera, upload to the mac, separate out the sound, convert to MP3... but not much fun - and even then doesn't allow me to fix the sound up at all.

So I would be interested in something to do this simply, but I don't know how much it would be worth to do a one off transfer of all the records. Love to rent it from my local Apple store.

numediaman
Jan 5, 2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by GregAussie
They asked me the other day - "can we convert our records (and a few old tapes) to CD so we can remove the turntable and tape player?".

I said I'd think about it. I know there are ways... copy onto the video camera, upload to the mac, separate out the sound, convert to MP3... but not much fun - and even then doesn't allow me to fix the sound up at all.

So I would be interested in something to do this simply. . .

Converting LPs & tapes to CD is very, very simple -- but time consuming. I do it all the time (on a 8600, with no trouble at all) Of course, this is the wrong forum for this, right?:)

One of the things I want announced tomorrow is an extension of the Final Cut Express discount (when pre-loaded onto a new Mac). If this doesn't happen, and there are no speed bumps on G5s, then I may postpone my new purchase even longer (no, not that!).