Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I just read that Pikmin 3 is indeed going to happen (link). Unfortunately, it seems it will only be on the Wii. That's bad for me, seeing how the only console I own is a second-hand Gamecube. Not being much of a gamer (in fact, the only video games I've ever beaten on a console were Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2), I have no intention of buying a Wii just for one game. What do you think is the probability that the future Pikmin 3 will be released on the Gamecube (probably zero, I know)? Or at best, do you think it will still be compatible with the original Gamecube controller, or will it be one of those games that necessitates standing up and waving the Wii controller around like an idiot (no offense to all those that like to do that, that's just how I feel when I use the Wii like that)? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I had a lot of thoughts running through my head at the same time.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I just read that Pikmin 3 is indeed going to happen (link). Unfortunately, it seems it will only be on the Wii. That's bad for me, seeing how the only console I own is a second-hand Gamecube. Not being much of a gamer (in fact, the only video games I've ever beaten on a console were Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2), I have no intention of buying a Wii just for one game. What do you think is the probability that the future Pikmin 3 will be released on the Gamecube (probably zero, I know)? Or at best, do you think it will still be compatible with the original Gamecube controller, or will it be one of those games that necessitates standing up and waving the Wii controller around like an idiot (no offense to all those that like to do that, that's just how I feel when I use the Wii like that)? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I had a lot of thoughts running through my head at the same time.

No it won't come out on the GameCube, you can be sure of that.

No the Wii doesn't necessitate the dumb waving, games can be played just fine sitting on a couch or chair and Pikmin 3 will likely use pointer controls the most with just a few instances of using motion.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
No it won't come out on the GameCube, you can be sure of that.

No the Wii doesn't necessitate the dumb waving, games can be played just fine sitting on a couch or chair and Pikmin 3 will likely use pointer controls the most with just a few instances of using motion.

What do you mean by pointer controls? Using the Wii-mote in conjunction with the sensor bar? Sorry for my ignorance, I've only played on a Wii a few times. What I really want to know is if it will be able to be played with the original Gamecube controller (the most comfortable and intuitive controller ever IMO).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It won't be coming out on the Cube and will likely, given its genre, will likely be controlled via the pointer functionality of the Wii.
It's kind of like a low-DPI mouse in that regard.

The Wii controller has 3 forms of input - buttons, tilt (the "waving") and pointer.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OP when the game is released... probably spring 2009, buy a second hand wii, and offset the cost by selling your gamecube and games to some unlikely suspect.

There is absolutely NO chance it will be released on the cube! Has there been any game been released on the cube in the past 12 months ?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
OP when the game is released... probably spring 2009, buy a second hand wii, and offset the cost by selling your gamecube and games to some unlikely suspect.

There is absolutely NO chance it will be released on the cube! Has there been any game been released on the cube in the past 12 months ?

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be released on the Gamecube, I just had a vague hope it would be. No, I would never sell my Gamecube, like I said I don't game enough to justify a Wii, even one second-hand. How would I play Gamecube only games on it, like the Pikmin series, my copy of Soul Calibur for the Gamecube, or the Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube? I don't feel like buying everything again (of course, if I wouldn't I would be all to happy to be wrong about that).

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be released on the Gamecube, I just had a vague hope it would be. No, I would never sell my Gamecube, like I said I don't game enough to justify a Wii, even one second-hand. How would I play Gamecube only games on it, like the Pikmin series, my copy of Soul Calibur for the Gamecube, or the Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube? I don't feel like buying everything again (of course, if I wouldn't I would be all to happy to be wrong about that).

It's backwards compatible, All your GC games will work on the Wii, and you'll be able to access VC (old school) games on the Wii also. If you're only going to Pikmin, you should wait, but there are so many other games, intuitive like Pikmin on the Wii, so if you do decide it would be a good choice.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It's backwards compatible, All your GC games will work on the Wii, and you'll be able to access VC (old school) games on the Wii also. If you're only going to Pikmin, you should wait, but there are so many other games, intuitive like Pikmin on the Wii, so if you do decide it would be a good choice.

Really? I figured it had to be, it would be kind of stupid of Nitendo to make a non-backwards compatible console. I just thought that since Gamecube and Wii discs are different sizes and that the Wii is slot load, the smaller disc would just fall down the bottom. I guess there's a sort of mechanical thing to wtablablize the disc? Or something like that. This is good news, maybe when my basement is redone and the video games move down there I'll sell the Gamecube and get a Wii off of eBay.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
FYI Gamecubes barely sell for anything as i saw an ad at gamestop for a used gamecube for about $20-$30.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Wii's drive can take both mini and full sized discs. Wish my iMac could do the same :mad:

There's a panel on the left side of the Wii that has Gamecube memory card and controller ports so nothing is lost. Only difference being that that the games don't boot up automatically.

Just hold off. Wii's haven't had a price cut since their launch almost 2 years ago, we must be due for one later this year. But even then you should probably wait until Pikmin 3 is out. As soon as games fall off the charts they can go for half their original price (I can get MP3 here for £17.99, I paid £35 and still haven't played it properly).

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
The Wii's drive can take both mini and full sized discs. Wish my iMac could do the same :mad:

There's a panel on the left side of the Wii that has Gamecube memory card and controller ports so nothing is lost. Only difference being that that the games don't boot up automatically.

Just hold off. Wii's haven't had a price cut since their launch almost 2 years ago, we must be due for one later this year. But even then you should probably wait until Pikmin 3 is out. As soon as games fall off the charts they can go for half their original price (I can get MP3 here for £17.99, I paid £35 and still haven't played it properly).

i wouldnt expect a price cut until sales start cooling off

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
The important thing here is that Pikmin 3 is coming out. Finally!

I, for one, welcome our colored, carrot like invaders for the third time. I can only hope to control them properly with the Wiimote and my trusty whistle.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I doubt the Wii will see a price drop any time soon. It'll probably sell out in the run up to Christmas again. It was pretty hard to get last year even at the end of November. :(

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Thanks, that's useful to know (though I already knew about the ability to add Gamecube memory and controllers).

The important thing here is that Pikmin 3 is coming out. Finally!

I, for one, welcome our colored, carrot like invaders for the third time. I can only hope to control them properly with the Wiimote and my trusty whistle.

I couldn't agree more; the second time I played Pikmin 2 (better game) I hated watching Pikmin die so much I did a deathless run. Of course, there were countless resets, but I felt really good at the end when the final count showed zero dead.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
I couldn't agree more; the second time I played Pikmin 2 (better game) I hated watching Pikmin die so much I did a deathless run. Of course, there were countless resets, but I felt really good at the end when the final count showed zero dead.

Deathless runs? I should try that. I feel bad for the little guys.

While it is barely comparable, I have really been enjoying the down-loadable game on the PS3-- Pixel Junk's Monsters. It actively encourages you save all of your brood. Here is a youtube clip if interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.