PDA

View Full Version : Busker boy earns 70 an hour

BoyBach
Aug 3, 2008, 01:20 PM
A 13-year-old busker who plays the electric guitar in Brighton has been earning an average of 70 an hour.

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7532050.stm)

It would seem that I'm in the wrong career! :eek:

Mikey-
Aug 3, 2008, 01:24 PM
I seen this on the news two, 70 an hour :eek:

There's a man who play's the electric guitar in Liverpool City Center with a fake arm.

bsheridan
Aug 3, 2008, 01:28 PM
There's a man who play's the electric guitar in Liverpool City Center with a fake arm.
Yes, but can he do this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSnUwA6c67k)

iPhil
Aug 3, 2008, 01:29 PM
video plays in the States..

Silver-Fox
Aug 3, 2008, 01:37 PM
man i could do that for a job, but then i dont want to be considered a social retard and praticaly scrounge for the money. So that comes at a cost for him =/

nplima
Aug 3, 2008, 01:38 PM

impressive, but not as much as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Silver-Fox
Aug 3, 2008, 01:40 PM
That is superb, what a find, what a find! :D hilarious

bsheridan
Aug 3, 2008, 01:41 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! TOO MANY TIMES! I quit the internet.:D

skunk
Aug 3, 2008, 01:43 PM
man i could do that for a job, but then i dont want to be considered a social retard and praticaly scrounge for the money. So that comes at a cost for him =/Why would being handsomely rewarded for a public musical performance and raising travellers' morale be the sign of a social retard - whatever that is? :confused:

Mikey-
Aug 3, 2008, 01:44 PM

:cool: Talent or what?

Wish I could do that.

benmrii
Aug 3, 2008, 02:13 PM
Reminds me of those who walk through the subway cars in NYC. Two stops worth of music, probably take in $5 each car, taking about 5 minutes.

There was a great article once about a famous jazz musician living in NYC. I don't remember who he was but he was talking about his totally posh apartment and lifestyle that he had before he made it big. His entire income was playing two days a week for about 5-6 hours in "his spot" in Union Square. He had to get down there by 4am to claim it because it was so popular (and prosperous).

Osarkon
Aug 3, 2008, 02:20 PM

I didn't even need to click on that to know what it was.

The comment that followed confirmed my suspicions.

Back on topic, I wonder if he'll still get 70 an hour on average now that people actually know how much he earns.

I shouldn't imagine it would last long, something like that can't be sustainable.

CortexRock
Aug 3, 2008, 02:25 PM
The point is, the kid earned the money to pay for his existing guitar with the same trick and he's putting his current earnings towards a new amp.

There's no big deception here - just a kid who is using a god-given talent to get what he wants.

At least he's not hanging around on street corners, with his hood up, menacing passers-by during his summer holidays.

Good luck to him, I say!

Osarkon
Aug 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
At least he's not hanging around on street corners, with his hood up, menacing passers-by during his summer holidays.

Good point.

And at least he's earning the money himself to get what he wants as opposed to having the parents buy it for him.

Dagless
Aug 3, 2008, 04:27 PM

Good luck to him, I say!

Emotional blackmail is just as bad as being mugged.
Just incase it wasn't obvious - WINK.

djellison
Aug 3, 2008, 04:42 PM
I remember watching a homeless guy begging outside Burger King. In 30 minutes, he netted at least 12. Call it 24 an hour, 5 hours a day, 5 days a week. 4 weeks annual leave - he's on 28k a year, tax free. :cool:

Doug

CortexRock
Aug 3, 2008, 04:49 PM
And, I forgot to mention... the kid can shred... \m/ :D

Gray-Wolf
Aug 3, 2008, 05:23 PM
This is not beyond the possibilities. My manager on the old property, works fri, and sat night doing music all across the state. She makes more per weekend than in 2 weeks day job pay.

Counterfit
Aug 3, 2008, 05:31 PM
I didn't even need to click on that to know what it was.

The comment that followed confirmed my suspicions.

Back on topic, I wonder if he'll still get 70 an hour on average now that people actually know how much he earns.

I shouldn't imagine it would last long, something like that can't be sustainable.

I disagree. He certainly earns 70 an hour. Plus, he practices about as much as most of the top professional classical musicians do.

paddy
Aug 3, 2008, 05:41 PM
man i could do that for a job, but then i dont want to be considered a social retard and praticaly scrounge for the money. So that comes at a cost for him =/

You've obviously no idea what you're on about.

When me and my cousins (3 in total) used busk down in Dingle, Co. Kerry, we'd earn 60 an hour! Not close to this guy, but not bad either! ;)

calculus
Aug 3, 2008, 05:44 PM

Why doesn't he use a plectrum like everyone else?

iJohnHenry
Aug 3, 2008, 06:52 PM
What is the *&^%ing problem??

Herd mentality??

If he lifts your spirits on a bad day, throw him a few bob.

.Andy
Aug 3, 2008, 08:07 PM
Why doesn't he use a plectrum like everyone else?
Excellent :D

XnavxeMiyyep
Aug 3, 2008, 08:17 PM
I busked in Boston with an electric keyboard when I was younger. I think I made $15-$20 per hour.

The thing is, you only really get an hour of peak earnings each day. Good for him though; I'm sure he'll earn his amp.

nplima
Aug 4, 2008, 05:20 AM

Good luck to him, I say!

yeah, good luck evading the menacing kids (with optional hoods) who now know how much money he has...

RedTomato
Aug 4, 2008, 07:25 AM
And some actors make 10,000 a day for merely turning up and speaking a few lines.

The thing is that not all actors make that much, only a very few. And most of the ones that do, only make that much once or twice a year.

I'm sick of the posters dotted around that say 'Don't give money to buskers or beggars. Some of them make more than you do!'

Yeah, probably about 0.001 percent of beggars do, for a few hours in the whole year.

On the basis of that poster, I shouldn't give money to Apple, I shouldn't buy any music, I shouldn't purchase many of my items or services, as most of them are offered by people who in fact, earn quite a bit more than I do.

Earning a steady 15 per hour for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for a whole year will easily out earn someone who makes 70 an hour a few hours per week, for a few weeks in the year. (but they probably get more fun out of it :D )

Abstract
Aug 4, 2008, 08:58 AM
If he only learnt how to use those fingers for sexual purposes, he'd be earning quadruple that.

PlaceofDis
Aug 4, 2008, 09:19 AM
i mean its not like the kid has not talent and is making that out of 'pity' or some sort. he's good at what he does. so its not surprising.

localoid
Aug 4, 2008, 01:05 PM
This kid doesn't have talent. He has musical skills he developed via countless hours of practice. He wasn't born with a gift. As for his "natural abilities", he was simply fortunate enough to be born with ten fingers and a fully functioning brain. And he was apparently born into a family with a father that played guitar, so he did have the advantage of having a teacher and perhaps a musical mentor to guide him. But neither God nor the Giant Spider gave this young man some kind of magical power that enabled him to pickup a guitar and play well. His playing ability was acquired via hard work and determination. If there is such a thing as "musicianship" he got it the old fashioned way -- he earned it.

Whenever I'm out among performing musicians, and hear someone that comments "Oh I wish I had that kind of talent to play an instrument!" I want to scream in their ear "You could, you dolt! If you'd worked as hard as he/she has for the past ump-teen years developing the necessary skills!"

/end rant

topgunn
Aug 4, 2008, 03:54 PM
yeah, good luck evading the menacing kids (with optional hoods) who now know how much money he has...
And that he has a $4,000 instrument hanging around his fragile 13 yr old neck.

CHAOS STEP
Aug 4, 2008, 04:54 PM
This kid doesn't have talent. He has musical skills he developed via countless hours of practice. He wasn't born with a gift. As for his "natural abilities", he was simply fortunate enough to be born with ten fingers and a fully functioning brain. And he was apparently born into a family with a father that played guitar, so he did have the advantage of having a teacher and perhaps a musical mentor to guide him. But neither God nor the Giant Spider gave this young man some kind of magical power that enabled him to pickup a guitar and play well. His playing ability was acquired via hard work and determination. If there is such a thing as "musicianship" he got it the old fashioned way -- he earned it.

Whenever I'm out among performing musicians, and hear someone that comments "Oh I wish I had that kind of talent to play an instrument!" I want to scream in their ear "You could, you dolt! If you'd worked as hard as he/she has for the past ump-teen years developing the necessary skills!"

/end rant

I disagree, on two counts;

Firstly, not everyone can be a talented at anything, some things will come naturally to some people - Jimi Hendrix certainly had some magic.

Secondly, even if you disagree by saying that he is a robot - no musical sense but a machine that is limited, he still has is patience and perseverance above and beyond what most people have.

I play the guitar badly, I don't really feel as if I have a particular knack of playing well and I don't (never) practise.

Even when I did practise, I only got good to a certain level then hit a wall.

If there was a possible chance that continued practise would net me godly skills, I still couldn't be bothered.

It matters neither that one's ability is predisposed or acquired through sweat, it is something that counts as equally impressive.

Mr. lax
Aug 4, 2008, 06:04 PM
Good for him

Abstract
Aug 5, 2008, 08:24 AM
I disagree, on two counts;

Firstly, not everyone can be a talented at anything, some things will come naturally to some people - Jimi Hendrix certainly had some magic.

Secondly, even if you disagree by saying that he is a robot - no musical sense but a machine that is limited, he still has is patience and perseverance above and beyond what most people have.

Agreed.

If it was as simple as practice, everyone could be great at something through practice. But like you pointed out, that would pretty much imply that a lot of it was mechanical skill that can be acquired. We're not machines. Some of us are going to be better at some things than others. Of course practice and effort will mean you'll improve, but I don't think I could ever play like that.

camomac
Aug 5, 2008, 11:27 PM

OMG that is great.
Give him a tip you cheap b*stards!

dilailamams
Aug 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
$10/hr poor me..