PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question, Jail-broken

musok
Aug 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hi there!
well, as i said on subject... i'm noob i don't even have the ipod touch, i am still waiting for the next keynote.
Well, my doubt.
What is the jail-broken for? isn't it already jail-broken?

mooreman
Aug 3, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi there!
well, as i said on subject... i'm noob i don't even have the ipod touch, i am still waiting for the next keynote.
Well, my doubt.
What is the jail-broken for? isn't it already jail-broken?

The term "jailbreak" refers to what I believe is called a firmware "hack" that enables native functionality built-in to the Ipod, which Apple intentionally made unavailable to the end-user as they, being Apple, wish to control every aspect of your user experience and then charge you for it. Some enterprising software hackers/writers tapped that functionality for free and made the process available to the general public. And no, unless you buy your Touch second-hand, it will NOT be jailbroken.
Many people, myself included, prefer the jailbroken functionality/stability/usefulness to the newest software version, as Apple's newest version included the "App Store" which is arguably inferior to what's available for free from the jailbroken equivalent. But that is entirely one user's opinion based on my current needs/interests. As soon as someone develops an app for editing office documents, i.e. (Word, Excel) then that's where my Touch will be, even if I have to pay for it and be rid of the jailbroken bliss I now know. Hope that crystallizes things for you.

musok
Aug 4, 2008, 05:33 AM
So, it is like the homebrew for PSP!
With the ipod touch jailbroken you can just run third party applications that are not supported by apple is that it? with 2.0 firmware you can get to the app store right? so the 2.0 jailbroken has the beautiful of two worlds. Can we still buy on app store with jailbroken? Because... there are some interesting apps on app store that i dunno if we can get it on jailbroken... like finance apps, and sketches and so on and on...

dasikes
Aug 4, 2008, 09:26 AM
So, it is like the homebrew for PSP!
With the ipod touch jailbroken you can just run third party applications that are not supported by apple is that it? with 2.0 firmware you can get to the app store right? so the 2.0 jailbroken has the beautiful of two worlds. Can we still buy on app store with jailbroken? Because... there are some interesting apps on app store that i dunno if we can get it on jailbroken... like finance apps, and sketches and so on and on...

Just keep in mind... I've read that it is illegal. Not that anyone's going to be breaking down your door, but some have moral issues with that.

nomar383
Aug 4, 2008, 09:30 AM
Just keep in mind... it is illegal. Not that anyone's going to be breaking down your door, but some have moral issues with that.

Illegal how? I have no moral issues using my rediculously expensive device to its full potential :)

And yes, it is almost exactly like having the custom PSP firmware. You have all the features of 2.0, and all the features of the jailbreak community.

dasikes
Aug 4, 2008, 09:31 AM
Illegal how? I have no moral issues using my rediculously expensive device to its full potential :)

And yes, it is almost exactly like having the custom PSP firmware. You have all the features of 2.0, and all the features of the jailbreak community.

You may not, but I have read that it is illegal. No offense, though. Do what you want!

Viremia
Aug 4, 2008, 09:34 AM
Just keep in mind... it is illegal. Not that anyone's going to be breaking down your door, but some have moral issues with that.

It's only illegal if stole the ipod touch before jailbreaking it. Once you buy it, it's yours to do with as you like. What you do may void the warranty but the last I checked the EULA is not considered law.

nomar383
Aug 4, 2008, 09:35 AM
You may not, but it is illegal. It may unlock it to it's full potential, but it is illegal. No offense, though. Do what you want!

Like I said, illegal how? I'm just curious how you came to this conclusion, I'm not really looking to bash you or anything :p

dasikes
Aug 4, 2008, 09:39 AM
Like I said, illegal how? I'm just curious how you came to this conclusion, I'm not really looking to bash you or anything :p

I've just simply read that it is. Maybe it's not. I haven't done research on it, because I've really never had any desire to jailbreak my iPod. If its not, go for it.

I appreciate the not-bashing :D I'll reword my previous posts.

nomar383
Aug 4, 2008, 09:45 AM
I've just simply read that it is. Maybe it's not. I haven't done research on it, because I've really never had any desire to jailbreak my iPod. If its not, go for it.

I appreciate the not-bashing :D I'll reword my previous post.

I did it on both my original iPhone and my 3G. It probably does violate the EULA, but that is a whole 'nother discussion.

On the warranty comment: you can do a full restore and banish all signs of a jailbreak. Just don't send in your iPod with Cydia on the home screen and custom boot logos! :eek:

sunandsurf
Aug 5, 2008, 02:16 AM
thanks for this very helpful tip!

On the warranty comment: you can do a full restore and banish all signs of a jailbreak. Just don't send in your iPod with Cydia on the home screen and custom boot logos! :eek:

musok
Aug 5, 2008, 06:17 AM
since i already paid the money for the hardware of course i dont have moral issues! ehehe already paid for the use of it! ehehe but ok... now... i have to find some cheap hardware eheh