PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Sounds a lot my HD

umbilical
Aug 3, 2008, 04:24 PM
hi there, a strange problem I think here, or maybe not...

when I use a torrent client... when port 52025 that works great download full kb of my conection BUT the hd sounds a lot every kb sounds sounds sounds... I dont why, when downlaod a simple .dmg with safari dont sounds any... why torrents make work a lot the HD.

if I use other port dont sound but donwload are really sucks 20kb or minus.

ITS SOOOOOOOO STRANGE I THINK Iam fear to loose my hd

I use bitrocket, transmision and xtorrent and all same thing... port 52025 hd sounds .... other port dont sounds coneccion sucks!

thanks

kwfl
Aug 3, 2008, 04:37 PM
Those who dont know what the solution for your problem, will spend their time wondering, what are you using Torrent for? :rolleyes:

CWallace
Aug 3, 2008, 05:09 PM
Do you mean you have a lot of HDD activity when using Port 52025 and not on any other?

Do you have only Port 52025 open on your router/firewall?

umbilical
Aug 3, 2008, 08:47 PM
Do you mean you have a lot of HDD activity when using Port 52025 and not on any other?

Do you have only Port 52025 open on your router/firewall?

I dont know any about ports and that things... :(

whatisthe
Aug 4, 2008, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure they are just saying their hard drive makes a lot of noise when downloading torrents and not from downloading things from single sources like Safari. The port has nothing to do with it. All the other ports are closed and that one is open for you. That's why you get good speeds from it.

Torrenting is from multiple sources and writes to many parts of the file at once on different locations on the drive, making the head move rapidly producing lots of noise. Also, you should be uploading. Reading and writing to the drive at the same time rapidly is certainly an explanation for a noisy hard drive.

aibo
Aug 4, 2008, 10:06 AM
I'm gonna agree with whatisthe that it's probably because it's probably simultaneously writing and reading (uploading). Some hard drives are noisier than others... I don't hear anything with my WDs and I sometimes have 5+ torrents going.

Those who dont know what the solution for your problem, will spend their time wondering, what are you using Torrent for? :rolleyes:
the **** does that have to do with anything?

umbilical
Aug 4, 2008, 11:18 PM
mmm yeah probably is the upload and download... I hope that download torrents dont destroy my HD is a segate... ST3500630AS P that comming with mac pro 08...

alphaod
Aug 4, 2008, 11:19 PM
When it's reading and writing it's expected to make sounds.