PDA

View Full Version : MacWorld SF 2004 Keynote Satellite Coordinates

MacRumors
Jan 5, 2004, 08:05 AM
MacMinute posts (http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/05/satellitekeynote) the satellite coordinates for the MacWorld San Francisco 2004 Keynote speech.

Ku-band Analog
-- Galaxy 3C Transponder 18 K
-- Orbital Slot: 95 degrees West
-- Downlink Frequency: 12050 MHz
-- Polarity: Horizontal down
-- Bandwidth: 27 MHz
-- Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

C-band Analog
-- Galaxy 11 Transponder 08 C
-- Orbital Slot: 91 degrees West
-- Downlink Frequency: 3860 MHz
-- Polarity: Vertical down
-- Bandwidth: 36 MHz
-- Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8
In addition to satellite broadcasting, Apple is also offering live web streaming (http://stream.apple.akadns.net/). MacRumors will be providing live web coverage here, as well as live IRC coverage (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030608214842.shtml). Meanwhile MacTeens is offering (http://macteens.com/form_mwsf04_sms.php) SMS updates for cell phone users unable to otherwise follow along.

fef
Jan 5, 2004, 08:13 AM
Can the Keynote be watched with the DirectTV dish?

if so, how can you set it?

thanks!
FEF

arn
Jan 5, 2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by fef
Can the Keynote be watched with the DirectTV dish?

if so, how can you set it?

no, you need a "real" satellite dish.

arn

jayscheuerle
Jan 5, 2004, 08:24 AM
Has never worked for me, even with the latest Quicktime and a broadband connection. Just a nasty, blocky, jerky, stuttering postage stamp.

Wish I could be there though. This one's looking promising...

Deestar
Jan 5, 2004, 08:38 AM
Is there gonna be a European satellite that is gonna carry the event?

humangod
Jan 5, 2004, 08:46 AM
anyone else getting excited?

Sonofhaig
Jan 5, 2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Has never worked for me, even with the latest Quicktime and a broadband connection. Just a nasty, blocky, jerky, stuttering postage stamp.

Its always been smooth sailing for me...
Try expanding the window and sitting back a bit from the screen. :D

arn
Jan 5, 2004, 09:01 AM
Also at Apple Retail Stores

http://www.apple.com/retail

Macworld SF Keynote Broadcast
Most Apple Theater Stores will show a live broadcast of the Macworld San Francisco keynote presentation by Apple CEO Steve Jobs Tuesday, Jan 6, at 9 a.m. PT. See your store for details.

arn

jelloshotsrule
Jan 5, 2004, 09:06 AM
hopefully will be at the clarendon store (assuming they are showing it)... was at tysons last year so i guess worst case i can drive there (clarendon is walking distance)... looking forward to it

Photorun
Jan 5, 2004, 09:49 AM
Wow, a full front page of all new rumors in the first 24 hours... amazing!

Just wanted to post that and see why someone cast this particular forum as "negative" on the front page, clearly they hadn't any reason or they'd have backed it up with some text here.

Odd that some people have probably with the web cast, makes me wonder what speed internet connection they have. If it's only 56K then, well, uh, yeah, hello? But I've never heard too many broadband horror stories. On secret that I've found is log in early (even when the stream is black) and hope not to get bumped, it seems like router take preference on existing streams, but that just may be perception.

M. Johansson
Jan 5, 2004, 10:23 AM
I have always had severe problems with quicktime streams until I turned off my firewall.

hvfsl
Jan 5, 2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Photorun
Wow, a full front page of all new rumors in the first 24 hours... amazing!

Just wanted to post that and see why someone cast this particular forum as "negative" on the front page, clearly they hadn't any reason or they'd have backed it up with some text here.

Odd that some people have probably with the web cast, makes me wonder what speed internet connection they have. If it's only 56K then, well, uh, yeah, hello? But I've never heard too many broadband horror stories. On secret that I've found is log in early (even when the stream is black) and hope not to get bumped, it seems like router take preference on existing streams, but that just may be perception.

I know I only have a 1Mbit connection, but I would expect to be able to get a decent quality stream. The stream keeps on cutting out. I expect too many people try to watch it, and Apple does not have enough bandwidth. Hopefully they have solved it now, hopefully thats why they are streaming the Expo now, but did not stream WWDC.

wdlove
Jan 5, 2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle

That has been my experience also, very frustrating. I called my local Apple Store at the CambridgeSide Galleria, they will be broadcasting live. :) :cool:

From Win to Mac
Jan 5, 2004, 11:03 AM
what's a "real" satellite dish ??
One that you can move around to look anywhere in the sky and aim at any satellite ??

How many people have that ?

weave
Jan 5, 2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by From Win to Mac
what's a "real" satellite dish ?? One that you can move around to look anywhere in the sky and aim at any satellite ?? How many people have that ?

We have a few of them at work. We're going to point one of the them to the coordinates supplied and pipe the audio/video around the campus! Beam me up dude!:)

joker2
Jan 5, 2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
hopefully will be at the clarendon store (assuming they are showing it)... was at tysons last year so i guess worst case i can drive there (clarendon is walking distance)... looking forward to it

Unless Tyson's has installed a screen that can be hidden, I don't think they have a screen anymore since they re-opened from the remodel. Clarendon though, has a nice screen and places to sit (which will probably be filled hours before the keynote ;)

Oh, and jellowshotsrule? Either your location has changed, or what you consider walking distance and what I do are radically different... (NYC to Arlington/Tyson's) :)

iChan
Jan 5, 2004, 12:27 PM
how can i get this sattelite broadcast at home ??

jelloshotsrule
Jan 5, 2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by shadow95
Unless Tyson's has installed a screen that can be hidden, I don't think they have a screen anymore since they re-opened from the remodel. Clarendon though, has a nice screen and places to sit (which will probably be filled hours before the keynote ;)

Oh, and jellowshotsrule? Either your location has changed, or what you consider walking distance and what I do are radically different... (NYC to Arlington/Tyson's) :)

hahah. yes, my location has changed... though it's not much more in walking distance (southern PA)... my girlfriend lives right by the clarendon store so i'll be walking from her place.

i forgot about the remodel at tysons. interesting that there's no more screen. weird.. i figure i'll hit up clarendon by 1030 or 11...

Waluigi
Jan 5, 2004, 12:56 PM
The Apple store in westfarms mall in Farmington, CT will be showing the keynote live via satellite at 12:00 on 1/6/2004. I just got confirmation from an employee in the store. I might even go on a 'lunch break' if I can find time (which I most likely will:D)

--Waluigi

Awimoway
Jan 5, 2004, 01:01 PM
The Pasadena Apple store will be showing it. I just called it.

I was a little puzzled about what they do for events that start before the store normally opens (at 10). But the guy told me that they do open early for events like this. I don't know what happens at stores that open inside malls that don't open at 9, though.

Kingsnapped
Jan 5, 2004, 01:05 PM
Woo! SMS updates. My school day tomorrow just got a lot better.

It's news to me that my phone can recieve web-based text messages... now I'll have to explain to my pre-calc teacher why my pants keep buzzing.

Doctor Q
Jan 5, 2004, 01:05 PM
I got e-mail from my local Apple store inviting me to watch the keynote speech there.On Tuesday, January 6, Apple CEO Steve Jobs will deliver the Macworld Expo keynote address from the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA. Join us at the Apple Store to watch a live broadcast of this very special
presentation.
Tuesday, January 6
9 a.m. (Pacific)
10 a.m. (Mountain)
11 a.m. (Central)
12 p.m. (Eastern)Hmmm. They don't seem to know what time zone their store is in! Or maybe they think I might be in the store tomorrow while simultaneously being in another time zone?

Yeah, I know. They used one e-mail for all store locations throughout the country. Did they not customize the message for the time zone of the individual store because that would take too much computing power? :confused:

CrackedButter
Jan 5, 2004, 01:11 PM
What time will it be for european users, more precisely, people in the UK?

jero
Jan 5, 2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by humangod
anyone else getting excited?

here, here.

sacramento in the house!

crees!
Jan 5, 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

I went to Clarendon to see WWDC so I guess it would be there for MWSF. I would call though, or walk and ask.. hehe.

KBFinFan
Jan 5, 2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Waluigi
The Apple store in westfarms mall in Farmington, CT will be showing the keynote live via satellite at 12:00 on 1/6/2004. I just got confirmation from an employee in the store. I might even go on a 'lunch break' if I can find time (which I most likely will:D)

--Waluigi
Don't shoot the messenger..

BUT..I just called the Westfarms store, closest one to me, and the guy I talked to said they wouldn't be presenting it on the theater screen because it is 'malfunctioning' (he sounded all confused) but that they could simply stream it on an big iMac if I wanted to see it..

Sent you a PM as well.. hopefully you're right and I'm wrong...

Doctor Q
Jan 5, 2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
What time will it be for european users, more precisely, people in the UK? Greenwich, England is the center of the universe, well at least the starting point for time zones. Since San Francisco is in Pacific Standard Time, which is 8 hours after Greenwich time, the 09:00 keynote in San Francisco will be 17:00 (or 5pm on a 12-hour clock) in Greenwich. Most of the UK is the same, except that I think the western side of Ireland is one hour off, so it'll be 16:00 there.

FriarTuck
Jan 5, 2004, 02:06 PM
See you at the North Michigan Avenue store.

I'll come in to work early so I can take a long lunch.

henryblackman
Jan 5, 2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Greenwich, England is the center of the universe, well at least the starting point for time zones. Since San Francisco is in Pacific Standard Time, which is 8 hours after Greenwich time, the 09:00 keynote in San Francisco will be 17:00 (or 5pm on a 12-hour clock) in Greenwich. Most of the UK is the same, except that I think the western side of Ireland is one hour off, so it'll be 16:00 there.

The UK and Ireland is on GMT at the moment, so you'll find the broadcast at 5pm. 6pm CET in the rest of western Europe.

CrackedButter
Jan 5, 2004, 02:28 PM
Thankyou people for the info, now i have to hope that i can tune in and get a reasonable stream.

dho
Jan 5, 2004, 02:30 PM
I have a recomendation for anyone that has broadband and plans on watching the webstream.

usualy on events like this watching the 300k(anybody with broadband) webstream will not work because its maxed out. In order to obtain decipherable audio and moderate video, it may necasary to claim to have 56k, or at least something lower then you actualy have.

You can change "your internet connection speed" in the quicktime system preference.

As I remember it on events such as wwdc 03 (G5 Into) the 300k and was so swamped that it was not recongnizeable up to a week following the event.

If the quicktime 300k webcast is coming through fine tomorow, then this is not necsary.

Just a sugestion, Good Luck

Lemming
Jan 5, 2004, 04:10 PM
Hey, while I was at the apple store, in westfarms mall, sending in my iBook (with logic board problems :mad: ) the genius said they'll be showing the keynote on the big screen (this was sunday).

Of course i'll be in school... With my web browser's home set to the stream site. :)

SeaFox
Jan 5, 2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
Woo! SMS updates. My school day tomorrow just got a lot better.

It's news to me that my phone can recieve web-based text messages... now I'll have to explain to my pre-calc teacher why my pants keep buzzing.

I'll have to call my carrier to see if I can get them. I can get SMS, just don't know about the web-based part of it. I was just thinking yesterday "Damn! I gotta be at my job training all day so I'll miss all the keynote buzz. Wish I could get it sent to me on SMS, even on my lunch break I wont be able to get to an internet connected computer."

jero
Jan 5, 2004, 05:31 PM
just called my local apple store and they said they were NOT broadcasting the keynote presentation. f' em.

Kirkland
Jan 5, 2004, 05:42 PM
Any other confirmation on the West Farms store, I'll be there tomorrow by some stroke of luck, would really suck if they weren't showing it.

Originally posted by KBFinFan
Don't shoot the messenger..

BUT..I just called the Westfarms store, closest one to me, and the guy I talked to said they wouldn't be presenting it on the theater screen because it is 'malfunctioning' (he sounded all confused) but that they could simply stream it on an big iMac if I wanted to see it..

Sent you a PM as well.. hopefully you're right and I'm wrong...

KBFinFan
Jan 5, 2004, 08:55 PM
I called them again to confirm.. and someone who sounded more 'with it' said hold on (I assume to check with someone in the know) and he said yes they would be showing it.

I plan on attending..I hope it is shown..

Lemming
Jan 5, 2004, 09:39 PM
Hey, if it isn't go over to the dual 2 ghz g5 display unit. Love that thing, 2 huge monitors. :)

Phil Of Mac
Jan 5, 2004, 09:46 PM
For the satellite, you need a C-Band or a Ku-Band dish that can be adjusted. They're rare (used to be a common consumer item but DISH Network and DirecTV have replaced them) but I, for instance, still have one.

SeaFox
Jan 5, 2004, 10:24 PM
Good Grief! I feel like Charlie Brown. :(

I talked to T-Mobile and got the address for relaying SMS over the web so I can sign up for the MWSF updates, and Macteens is totally bogged down now.

Actually the sites down (to be replaced by a low bandwidth version they say). But I bet they don't bring the reg form back up. When I could get through they hadn't brought it back. So all the heavy traffic they're getting is people finding they can't get in on it after all.

ralfaro
Jan 5, 2004, 10:59 PM
I've got an analog satellite dish here at home and we're possibly watching the keynote tomorrow. Although I do know where Galaxy 3 is yet I don't have the clue where the Galaxy 11 satellite is. Could somebody tell me between which popular satellites is this one at?

Phil Of Mac
Jan 5, 2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by ralfaro
I've got an analog satellite dish here at home and we're possibly watching the keynote tomorrow. Although I do know where Galaxy 3 is yet I don't have the clue where the Galaxy 11 satellite is. Could somebody tell me between which popular satellites is this one at?

It's abbreviated G7 on the receiver.

romeo
Jan 5, 2004, 11:21 PM
Galaxy 11 at 91.0W

check out this website

http://www.lyngsat.com/g11.shtml

This link is Satellite Look Angle Calculator

http://mysatpros.gemspot.com/images/lookupangle.htm

Enjoy!

~Romeo

ralfaro
Jan 5, 2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
It's abbreviated G7 on the receiver.

Thank you for that correction.

romeo
Jan 6, 2004, 02:18 PM
hi ralfaro,
did you ever got the broadcast to work?

I couldn't find out what is the FR and SR(Symbol Rate), didn't get the show from G3C.

can you give me some infomation, may need it for nex time.

~Romeo