Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
I want to get a Time Capsule mainly to store my media (music/movies/photos). I want to stream my music and my movies from it instead of storing it locally on the ATV itself.
I read in the "peripherals" forum and somebody said this did not work well at all.
Does anybody have any real experience with it?
I won't be using the TC for backup. Just streaming and drive sharing between my MacBook and my iMac.
I have an Airport Express, but I need the LAN support of the TC so I can hook up my satellite box and possibly PS3. (in addition to the aforementioned streaming purposes).
Would I be better off just getting an AEBS and attaching a USB drive to it?
Any advice, help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

alphajerk

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Omaha, NE
I bought a time capsule to do just what you are wanting to do, and yes, it did not work how I expected it to. Things just won't play back without all sorts of hiccups. The only way I've ever been able to get things to stream properly is directly from the computer's HD to the ATV. Now I just keep the media on the time capsule and just have to think ahead if i want to watch something stored on it and transfer it to the computer about fifteen minutes before hand. Kind of a PITA, but it works for me. I'd love to hear if anyone is getting the TC to stream properly to the ATV.

jbuckner

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Tulsa
I've had no problems streaming content from my External Drives via USB to my MacBook Pro via Airport Express to my Apple TV. All you have to do is keep the MacBook running iTunes while your watching a movie or tv show.

I was wanting to pick up a Time Capsule as a faux-server for my Apple TV, but this weekend I saw a Buffalo LinkStation Live and I was really interested. Looks like the Buffalo can stream and connect to iTunes 7. Plus at $265.00 for 1TB for storage. I think it might be worth a shot.

Here's the link to the Buffalo's product page.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-live/

Anybody use one of the Buffalo's to stream your iTunes library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.