PDA

View Full Version : Building Nice Interfaces - Any Tips?

belsokar
Aug 4, 2008, 01:12 PM
So I'm about to release my first app to the app store, and I look at it, and it's pretty vanilla. I'd like to start thinking about version 2. I'd like to spruce up some of the graphics and views, but Interface Builder seems pretty bland.

I'm pretty handy in Photoshop, but don't know yet how best to transform that to building apps on the iPhone. I've seen some nice interfaces out there with some nice graphics, but I'm almost 100% certain they weren't built entirely from the ground up in IB.

For example, if I want to use my own background created in photoshop, I tried just creating a 320x480x72 PNG in photoshop, but that didn't work quite well. I'm guessing perhaps the resolution was too low.

Furthermore, I have seen some nice custom images, buttons, etc...just finding a good resource for how to create these, certain settings and resolutions and file types to use...etc...

Any ideas or tips on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

Garrett
Aug 4, 2008, 04:24 PM
So I'm about to release my first app to the app store, and I look at it, and it's pretty vanilla. I'd like to start thinking about version 2. I'd like to spruce up some of the graphics and views, but Interface Builder seems pretty bland.

I'm pretty handy in Photoshop, but don't know yet how best to transform that to building apps on the iPhone. I've seen some nice interfaces out there with some nice graphics, but I'm almost 100% certain they weren't built entirely from the ground up in IB.

For example, if I want to use my own background created in photoshop, I tried just creating a 320x480x72 PNG in photoshop, but that didn't work quite well. I'm guessing perhaps the resolution was too low.

Furthermore, I have seen some nice custom images, buttons, etc...just finding a good resource for how to create these, certain settings and resolutions and file types to use...etc...

Any ideas or tips on how to proceed would be much appreciated!
In interface builder you can set a UIButton to have a custom image background, with no text. It's really all about using outlets and subclassing them to add backgrounds and buttons.