Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billboyo9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
HI

I am planning on buying a macbook this week and need to know if i can take Microsoft Office 2007 for windows off my friend's external hardrive and put it onto my mac. If this is not ok, is the Microsoft office for Mac for $150 my best bet at saving money and getting office. ALso when i transfer all my excel and word files will they easily work on office for mac?

If any of these questions could be answered it would be greatly appreciated!

Thnx!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You cannot legally do that: you would not have a valid license for Office. Neither can you run Windows Office directly on OSX. You could use a legal, fully licensed version of Windows within Parallels or Fusion. But really, unless you need VBA support, you'd be better off with your own, legal, licensed copy of Mac:Office 08.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
You cannot legally do that: you would not have a valid license for Office. Neither can you run Windows Office directly on OSX. You could use a legal, fully licensed version of Windows within Parallels or Fusion. But really, unless you need VBA support, you'd be better off with your own, legal, licensed copy of Mac:Office 08.

Truth ^

I'd also suggest purchasing Office 08 for Mac.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also you can't just copy and paste installed programs from one computer to another, especially not Office.

Again buy Office 2008 and you'll be content with your purchase; or buy iWork, but I don't like iWork.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You could with Mac:Office 2004! You could just drag and drop the whole folder between machines. Doesn't work with 2008 though...

Sorry I meant drag and dropping in Windows because the OP was referring to Office 2007 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.