PDA

View Full Version : GarageBand, Mini iPods, Xserve... Tomorrow?

MacRumors
Jan 5, 2004, 03:13 PM
Less then a day away, and last minute notes...

"GarageBand" will be announced tomorrow.
Xserve updates tomorrow, as well.
This Mini iPod information (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031229032549.shtml) is still considered reliable.

Macsin
Jan 5, 2004, 03:14 PM
really? What GARAGEBAND would do??

A consumer audio app that would allow indies to record, edit and promote their song on iTMS?

BTW, besides Japan, any other rumor regarding iTMS Canada, Europe, Australia?

iJon
Jan 5, 2004, 03:15 PM
i would assume garage band would be that new audio iapp type of program that was rumored coming.

iJon

eyeluvmyimac
Jan 5, 2004, 03:16 PM
im psyched, i hope garage band is like fruity loops -- it'll save me from having to build a pc.....
xserve doesn't really apply to me, cool though

lind0834
Jan 5, 2004, 03:16 PM
Does anybody actually know what Garage Band does/is?

crford
Jan 5, 2004, 03:17 PM
Never heard of it....

Phobophobia
Jan 5, 2004, 03:17 PM
Wow... I can't wait for Garage Band. I hope it is consumer music-making.

digital1
Jan 5, 2004, 03:19 PM
Its probably the consumer music app... I hope it has some decent plugins,features,instruments,etc.

(edit:arn where did you guys get that from? How is it confirmed?)
(Probably a dumb question....:()

vouder17
Jan 5, 2004, 03:19 PM
I reckon that GarageBand will be the new Audio iApp with Midi or something like that, damn i wish that apple could realease something for Dj's or something that would improve on what Traktor has.
Well only time will tell????

spungraphics
Jan 5, 2004, 03:20 PM
sounds like software for ripping and uploading AAC files to the iTunes music store for sale and distribution. Wasn't there talk about Apple releasing software for indie labels and independent artists which would enable them to encode their music and provide Apple with all that is necessary to distribute their music. Hmmm.....

autrefois
Jan 5, 2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Less then a day away, and last minute notes...

"GarageBand" will be announced tomorrow.
Xserve updates tomorrow, as well.
This Mini iPod information (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031229032549.shtml) is still considered reliable.

Since "will be" is in bold, I assume that means MacRumors has received definite confirmation of GarageBand--cool!!

wymer100
Jan 5, 2004, 03:21 PM
I wonder if "Garage Band" is like an eLogic Express similar to Final Cut Express.

Hawthorne
Jan 5, 2004, 03:22 PM
An app that would do for music what iMovie does for DV or iDVD does for DVD creation would be killer .

And look for Steve to brag about Big Mac, then pause, and announce the G5 xServe. :)

TheInevitable
Jan 5, 2004, 03:24 PM
I'm hoping that GarageBand is an iApp that is like a cross between Soundtrack and Logic Platinum, but totally stripped down and easy to use and integrates with iLife.

boobers
Jan 5, 2004, 03:25 PM
imagine if Beyonce and the like bypass their record labels and just sell in itunes...surely that would be a breach of some contracts but perhaps some would ditch their contracts if they could market themselves via iTMS. Possible? Any takers? As i understand it the labels take more than enough.

Waluigi
Jan 5, 2004, 03:26 PM
I've been waiting for Xserve updates since WWDC last June. I will be buying 5 more xserves tomorrow for my school district if they really do get updated! If they upgrade the Xraid too, the teacher in charge of buying for the art dept has hundreds of thousands of dollars waiting to be spent of storage for our video lab....

--Waluigi

JSRockit
Jan 5, 2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TheInevitable
I'm hoping that GarageBand is an iApp that is like a cross between Soundtrack and Logic Platinum, but totally stripped down and easy to use and integrates with iLife.

That would be cool...and could be likely.

Trekkie
Jan 5, 2004, 03:27 PM
Seems like a waste of a post space to me. Unless someone knows what Garage Band is doesn't sound like something generally needed by all Mac users. Might be something fun to play with or a 'consumer' level sound mixer like that other new product they released.

JSRockit
Jan 5, 2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
im psyched, i hope garage band is like fruity loops -- it'll save me from having to build a pc.....

I would love that...I miss Fruity Loops...using Reason instead right now.

Gabriel
Jan 5, 2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Waluigi
I've been waiting for Xserve updates since WWDC last June. I will be buying 5 more xserves tomorrow for my school district if they really do get updated! If they upgrade the Xraid too, the teacher in charge of buying for the art dept has hundreds of thousands of dollars waiting to be spent of storage for our video lab....

--Waluigi

My god! Where do you work? Choate?

gothamac
Jan 5, 2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by spungraphics
sounds like software for ripping and uploading AAC files to the iTunes music store for sale and distribution. Wasn't there talk about Apple releasing software for indie labels and independent artists which would enable them to encode their music and provide Apple with all that is necessary to distribute their music. Hmmm.....

Wouldn't that make Apple a record label?

Deestar
Jan 5, 2004, 03:31 PM
Here is the trademark info on "Garage band".

US Trademark Office (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=oqt69l.3.27)

Flowbee
Jan 5, 2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Trekkie
Seems like a waste of a post space to me.

Since when is confirmation of brand new Apple software a "waste of post space??"

aafuss1
Jan 5, 2004, 03:34 PM
Suprisingly no Appleworks updates to be announced.

dongmin
Jan 5, 2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by digital1
Its probably the consumer music app... I hope it has some decent plugins,features,instruments,etc.

(edit:arn where did you guys get that from? How is it confirmed?)
(Probably a dumb question....:() uhh, if it's a consumer app, it won't be loaded with plugins, features, and instruments.

My guess is it's something like soundtrack but without the pro-ish features. Probably with a much smaller sample library (maybe you could buy new ones through the iTMS???) And a limited number of tracks. Some integration with .Mac. And some integration with iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto.

Bozola
Jan 5, 2004, 03:35 PM
shouldn't it be called iband?

geerlingguy
Jan 5, 2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Hawthorne
An app that would do for music what iMovie does for DV or iDVD does for DVD creation would be killer .

And look for Steve to brag about Big Mac, then pause, and announce the G5 xServe. :)

That is probably how Steve will say it!

autrefois
Originally posted by gothamac
Wouldn't that make Apple a record label?

I'm surprised Apple Computer has done as much as it has, considering the lawsuit by Apple Corps. There's already the iTunes-only compilations that they've created that can be downloaded as albums, so the line is becoming more and more blurred.

From Win to Mac
why ?? whyyyy ?

where are the G5 updates ??? :confused:

i also have hundreds of... tens of dollars to spend... that are simply waiting for an update

metajunkie
Jan 5, 2004, 03:38 PM
It would hardly make sense to to make Garage Band a "loop" program, especially since they sell soundtrack independent of FCP.

What apple is missing from the iApps is a way to record your own music.

Think about it: this application is for "Garage Bands" i.e. people who don't have tons of cash but want to do some good recording.

Hopefully, it will sport some kind of integration with soundtrack - i've been itching to get own loops in there.

Dave K
Jan 5, 2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by From Win to Mac
why ?? whyyyy ?

where are the G5 updates ??? :confused:
Wait 3-4 weeks like every other year recently.

I lean towards Feb 3rd +- one week.

gmapes
Jan 5, 2004, 03:39 PM
Garage band? Apple is a great company that needs to add something like the IPOD. What does apple have to offer to the business customer? PALMS, P800,P900, tiny cell phones, tablet pc, pocket pc, are all these companies crazy? Yo can say some but not all! Apple needs to develop the ipod but not Milk it dry!
I will buy 4 desktops G5's, and 2 laptops but am waiting for a answer to the PDA/IPHONE/Blackberry solution.

Using the IPOD as a pda is a complete joke. I can see it now walking into a meeting and pulling out the IPOD to scroll 2000 names to find a contact! come on my boss would think i was really messing around!

Iwalk or newton 2 can give the world something to think about! Now you have the IPOD for entertainment and the Iwalk/Iphone wahtever you call it- Business use that even Steve Jobs would carry into an office.

And beleive me having laptops in meetings are a distraction and rude to boot.

Apple this is my and I say my last time I will be waiting for apple to address this.

Nobs
Jan 5, 2004, 03:40 PM
I'm more excited about the Itunes updates, myself.

autrefois
Jan 5, 2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by aafuss1

Considering the problems with the current version and how frustrated some users have gotten, I'm not sure they'll come out with another Appleworks.

It will hopefully be a whole new program, maybe part of the iSuite that's been rumored. Whether that's for now or later is anyone's guess (except Steve of course).

iPC
Jan 5, 2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by autrefois
Considering the problems with the current version and how frustrated some users have gotten, I'm not sure they'll come out with another Appleworks.

It will hopefully be a whole new program, maybe part of the iSuite that's been rumored. Whether that's for now or later is anyone's guess (except Steve of course).
Probably a pretty aqua version of openoffice, or maybe staroffice (partner with SUN against Microsoft would be cool - but would kill further versions of MS Office for the Mac).

hybrid_x
Jan 5, 2004, 03:50 PM
Since migrating emagic Logic to OS X, they still haven't released an updated version of their entry-level audio app, MicroLogic AV.

My guess is that if "GarageBand" exists and will be released as an Apple product, it will essentially replace the consumer-level app in emagic's stable.

technocoy
Jan 5, 2004, 03:53 PM
it's and input/mixer dock for the iPod that comes with software for importing and editing the files for use alone or with apps such as soundtrack then producing your own cd's from that. maybe a track editor will be included with the software.

duh.
lol
technocoy

QCassidy352
Jan 5, 2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by gmapes
Garage band? Apple is a great company that needs to add something like the IPOD. What does apple have to offer to the business customer? PALMS, P800,P900, tiny cell phones, tablet pc, pocket pc, are all these companies crazy? Yo can say some but not all! Apple needs to develop the ipod but not Milk it dry!
I will buy 4 desktops G5's, and 2 laptops but am waiting for a answer to the PDA/IPHONE/Blackberry solution.

Using the IPOD as a pda is a complete joke. I can see it now walking into a meeting and pulling out the IPOD to scroll 2000 names to find a contact! come on my boss would think i was really messing around!

Iwalk or newton 2 can give the world something to think about! Now you have the IPOD for entertainment and the Iwalk/Iphone wahtever you call it- Business use that even Steve Jobs would carry into an office.

Apple this is my and I say my last time I will be waiting for apple to address this.

Apple is not in the PDA business. Get over it.

bobindashadows
Jan 5, 2004, 03:57 PM

I must say that was one of the unin! telligible posts ever? I think, he saying that IPOD business?! no! PDA, palm iPhone good can get them.

In all seriousness, I think I get what you're saying - Apple needs to keep the PDA features out of the iPod and put them into an iPhone/Newton.

macnews
Jan 5, 2004, 03:57 PM
Garage band will be interesting to see what that is - my guess is it refers to getting indpendant artists on itunes (based on what other people have said in posts).

G5 Xserves will be great. I don't expect to see updates to the towers because Apple is trying to get away from just doing updates at expos. I personnally like this because you never know what to expect now!

mian
Jan 5, 2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Dave K

I agree. I expect Jobs will focus on consumer products to get a jump on possible M$ and Dell announcements at the comsumer electronics show two days later. They will probably roll out a number of updates to other products (G5, imac) over the next month.

backspinner
Jan 5, 2004, 03:58 PM
I welcome the new Xserves!

adamberti
Jan 5, 2004, 03:59 PM

I was reading in another forum topic, and similar thoughts were mentioned - Apple needs to break into the Corporate market. However, someone quoted what Apple says at the end of every press Release and called it a mission statement. I'm not sure it's exactly that, but it certainly states their intentions

"Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings."

At the momment, Apple is a company for consumers, educational institutions and consumers, not big business. We would have to see a major change in Apple's Business strategy before we see an emergence in a corporate market.

pgwalsh
Jan 5, 2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by eyeluvmyimac
xserve doesn't really apply to me, cool though Yeah.. Fruityloops is fun. You could use Reason, but it doesn't support VST instruments, effects and costs more. $@!??%! However, there is storm and others...

Kingsnapped
Jan 5, 2004, 04:02 PM
They really do need a scaled-down version of Soundtrack. It was a blast at the Apple store, but when I saw the sticker, I set it down very gently.

What is speculated to go into itunes?

G4scott
Jan 5, 2004, 04:04 PM
OK, think about the name. Garage Band. Now, do you think Apple will really come up with a solution for small bands to record their music with this consumer application? Apple would have to offer an affordable way to hook up good microphones to your Mac, which wouldn't exactly be something I can see Apple doing. And you know that Apple's not going to let you use the built in microphone on you Mac, because they suck. Unless, Apple comes out with an iSight type microphone at an affordable price, but I doubt that they'll do that. Hopefully it will have some useful audio editing features, though. If it's not going to be a recording app, then it would probably be some sort of mixing/editing app. I doubt they'll add notation, but you never know. Of course, if they do make it a recording app, with an iSight like microphone, I would hope they add some editing and mixing features, because I know my band directors could really use something like that...

Flowbee
Jan 5, 2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
Yeah.. Fruityloops is fun. You could use Reason, but it doesn't support VST instruments, effects and costs more. $@!??%! However, there is storm and others...

Like...Ableton Live 3.0 (http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=live)!

jamka
Jan 5, 2004, 04:17 PM
I was thinking that garage band might be something for braudcasting music short range, like around one's house. Garage band, kinda like citizen's band.

Gabriel
Jan 5, 2004, 04:20 PM
Maybe they're developing hardware and/or an app or a plug-in for iTunes that will allow you to rip from vinyl and then clean up the track at the push of a button.

the_mole1314
Jan 5, 2004, 04:29 PM
oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god

I can't wait! I knew about MiniPods, but I CAN'T WAIT! Frankly, I hope there's more!

Bandit
Jan 5, 2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by spungraphics
Wasn't there talk about Apple releasing software for indie labels and independent artists which would enable them to encode their music and provide Apple with all that is necessary to distribute their music. Hmmm.....

Didn't Steve just rip on the other music services at the announcement of iTMS for windows saying that anyone could put stuff on their stores for like $50. I doubt he would turn around and offer the same thing.

bennetsaysargh
Jan 5, 2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Gabriel
Maybe they're developing hardware and/or an app or a plug-in for iTunes that will allow you to rip from vinyl and then clean up the track at the push of a button.
i doubt that. i think it's a scaled down version of soundtrack for consumers and what else, garage bands!
i think as long as it has support for multiple tracks, it will be great. put it up for download immediately with a nice iApp interface like iMovie, put an import to iTunes option, and you're set!
one thing that probably won't happen because steve even has said publicly that they don't let everyone on.

bensisko
Jan 5, 2004, 04:34 PM
GarageBand... I bet it's a consumer applications development program, allowing your average mac consumer to utilize applescript to create applications using a GUI.

...or not.

Seriously, it does sound like a way to import, mix, and export music. I don't know if it will allow you to ACQUIRE music (i.e. recording) except through the audio-in port. If this is the case, you can look for some new Griffin Technology releases soon.

jcroft
Jan 5, 2004, 04:34 PM
I'd be willing to bet $100 that Garage Band is a means for small bands getting their music online and for sale in iTMS. I suspect it will be software that allows them to import tracks, clean them up a bit, convert them to AAC, add the necessary tags, upload them, and sell them.

I DON'T think it will actually be for RECORDING tracks. Apple will expect that you already have recorded tracks on CD or another digital format and Garage Band will just let you prep them for iTMS and put them online for sale.

gmapes
Jan 5, 2004, 04:35 PM
MAc not in the PDA Busuness? Are you kidding me they started it with the Newton!

Newton still blows away the ipaqs and palms. Just needs the same updated technologies.

Are they in the Music business? Now they are? There were tons of mp3 players out there, but apple changed that with the IPOD!

Why is there pda functionality in the IPOD? Why did Jobs want to buy Palm? Why is INKWELL in the OS, Why is Ical and Address book being developed so feverishly, and whyis there ISYNC?

Apple know there is a need for these types of devices and they can reshape the market just like they did with the IPOD!

So come on now, saying apple is not in the PDA business holds no merit!

pbooktebo
Jan 5, 2004, 04:37 PM
I just hope and expect that what we'll get is a program that fills the Logic space, but is less expensive.

I know tons of folks who want to make music on their Macs, and although Macs are the best, "average Joe" does need to shell out some serious cash to get a decent setup (mic, preamp, software, etc.). I've spent around $1000.00 (Sibelius, Reason, Live) on software, but still haven't settled on a recording app as Logic is too pricey (and I can use Live for most of my stuff as it is layered/MIDI).

I really think that audio is poised to become the new Photoshop, with simple and powerful ways for most users to make or manipulate music. If you ever visited the Bjork remix site (which I think has been taken down), you might have glimpsed a future where fans make their own remixes of popular songs and share them. Different but similar in spirit to a garage band. Maybe...

Who knows? We all willtomorrow!!!

bensisko
Jan 5, 2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i doubt that. i think it's a scaled down version of soundtrack for consumers and what else, garage bands!
i think as long as it has support for multiple tracks, it will be great. put it up for download immediately with a nice iApp interface like iMovie, put an import to iTunes option, and you're set!
one thing that probably won't happen because steve even has said publicly that they don't let everyone on.

Will it be an iApp, or, more likely I think, will it be to Soundtrack what Final Cut Express is to Final Cut Pro (i.e. be a pretty robust application but cost around $299)?

bensisko
Jan 5, 2004, 04:41 PM
MAc not in the PDA Busuness? Are you kidding me they started it with the Newton!

Newton still blows away the ipaqs and palms. Just needs the same updated technologies.

Are they in the Music business? Now they are? There were tons of mp3 players out there, but apple changed that with the IPOD!

Why is there pda functionality in the IPOD? Why did Jobs want to buy Palm? Why is INKWELL in the OS, Why is Ical and Address book being developed so feverishly, and whyis there ISYNC?

Apple know there is a need for these types of devices and they can reshape the market just like they did with the IPOD!

Sorry, Steve will NEVER allow it. Even though I would love for Apple to make a PDA (because it would blow everyone else out of the water), it's just not going to happen. Get a Newton and be done with it.

Wonder Boy
Jan 5, 2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by aafuss1

who says?

snofseth
Jan 5, 2004, 04:44 PM
The Ipod would make a great pda although I am not sure how usefull pda's are. If your Ipod and pda are the same thing that is also one less thing to have to carry. I dont see a use for a pda especially for me being a student I have no need for having an address book, and as a planer I dont really need that. I like how small they are but the laptop is so much more productive. If you need these you can do it on a laptop. Plus you can do whatever else you need especially typing. It seems much harder to type on the pda. What could or should be worked on is the form factor of the laptop to make it smaller, although foldable does not seem like an option becuase then you have those breaks but the keyboard and much bigger screen make the laptop much easier to use

NoVi
Jan 5, 2004, 04:45 PM
It may be logical for Apple to do some do-it-yourself music app, but...

maybe they have some mp3.com service to share and upload songs.
But uploading to iTMS.. never! It would severly damage the business model (inferior quality)

hob
Jan 5, 2004, 04:49 PM

AppleWorks is a total piece of junk, IMHO - it's just trying to imitate Office, and does it badly... either they should drop it all together, or they should make it bring something completely new to the table altogether...

I used AW with my iBook for a month when i first bought it, but got so frustrated I just bought Office!!

Hob

youngjake
Jan 5, 2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
Apple would have to offer an affordable way to hook up good microphones to your Mac, which wouldn't exactly be something I can see Apple doing.

Unless, Apple comes out with an iSight type microphone at an affordable price, but I doubt that they'll do that.

You took the words from my mouth. I wonder what the possibility of a finalcut express level audio app is. If it came with some sort of 2-channel USB, or better firewire, interface that would be great.

There is sort of a void when it comes to entry level, digital recording equipment and software. There are many bands with little money to spend who want an easy, affordable way to record on the computer.

I think this would be a great, untapped market for apple. The solutions that currently exist are too expensive, or get shipped as hardware interfaces with poor software.

I would normaly consider Apple taking this step as unlikely, but here's hoping.

- Jake

pjkelnhofer
Jan 5, 2004, 04:59 PM
In the past, how long after the Keynote would a new product take to appear on the website? Or for that matter, in the stores?
Just wondering how long I have to wait to order (or go my local Applestore and buy) my 2GB iPod.

BobVB
Jan 5, 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by snofseth
The Ipod would make a great pda although I am not sure how usefull pda's are. If your Ipod and pda are the same thing that is also one less thing to have to carry. I dont see a use for a pda especially for me being a student I have no need for having an address book, and as a planer I dont really need that. I like how small they are but the laptop is so much more productive. If you need these you can do it on a laptop. Plus you can do whatever else you need especially typing. It seems much harder to type on the pda.

the benefit of a pda is that it is small enough to always have it on your person. And any decent one is much more than an address book or planner. Mine has all my necessary filemaker databases, I use it for keeping notes, and I can write in graffiti just about as fast as I can print.

I really do need a new state of the art small data display & collection device that is has pen-driven input, ne that was fully integrated with Apple products would be a great plus. Palm and Handspring entries have become more difficult to use with each generation.

But Steve doesn't like them so we will never see them.

I do agree with the poster that they contacts and calendar in the ipod are virtually worthless and just a power drain. Without input capability there's no point.

sgrcts
Jan 5, 2004, 05:00 PM
just to reply- you can get an mbox with pro tools for less then 450 bucks. Thats hardly expensive or poor software.

desdomg
Jan 5, 2004, 05:03 PM
Excellent, sounds like the predictions of a music orientated Macword are going to come true. Mini-iPods, Garage Band .... lets hope there is an iTMS Europe in there too. My credit card is waiting!

gwuMACaddict
Jan 5, 2004, 05:05 PM
rock on... i wonder how long i am going to have to wait for my new mini ipod... its going to be perrrrrrfect for jogging. :D

garage band will be fun too... steve-o rocks! :D

DangerDiabolik
garrage band will probally be some sorta downlaodable app that will edit and encode in AAC and will allow you to upload to itunes and possible set up an account/band page of some sorts...

maybe ?

or some limited mulitrack with looping capabilites ? with easy ipod intergration

"listen to YOUR music on YOUR ipod ! "

200paul
The thought of Apple making garage band a way for you to sell or upload songs through the ITMS is a hard one to grasp - would you set your own prices, would apple be paying you. Fraud? What about ripping name brand music and then uploading it as your own. Selling it cheaper.

UNfortunately I'm sure this is an audio iAPp - an iLogic if you will

Personally I like the iApps but I hate how Apple is begining to homoginze the creative software market. Essentially they are finding niche markets and undercutting the innovators so they can sell more machines. As cool as Apple is and their apps are we will see forced standards and fewer innovators willing to compete with Apples loss leaders. What if Apple goes after Reason next. That would suck, sure it needs an UI update but that program is so innovative and efficient I would hate to have it dumbed down for the masses.

I talked to Dr lengling about the next version of Logic and he confirmed to me their will be a major overhaul to the UI. Now I'm not a fan of Logic or its UI but I think the many people who are fans of Logic will be dissapointed at this blanding of an out piece of German engineering.

P@ul

DangerDiabolik
Jan 5, 2004, 05:08 PM
It is a dumbing down, but ther ewill ALWAYS be a market for PRO level stuff or semi pro level stuff..

garrage band will be for people that use idvd and not final cut

splashman
Jan 5, 2004, 05:12 PM
As long as we're all guessing, here's my thoughts . . .

An app for music creation/manipulation (i.e., Logic, SoundTrack, Reason, etc.) is NOT a consumer (mass-market) product. Some of you believe the average joe writes their own music and/or wants to record their own music, and that just isn't the case. I'm a writing/recording musician myself (Platinum 6 rocks!), and the average joe has no more clue about music production than they do nuclear physics. Yes, there is probably a market for another cheap (<$100) audio app, but it's not nearly large enough for Apple to bother with. Keep in mind that Logic has multiple price points, all the way down to $229.

Others have speculated about GB being a tool for bands to submit their music to iTunes. It just might be, but again, it doesn't seem like a mass-market product that would make a big splash. And it wasn't that long ago, at the rollout of the Windows ITMS, that SJ trumpeted the fact that ITMS contains only "quality" tracks, as opposed to other services that allow any garage band to upload tracks for a fee. Would seem a bit strange for him to change course so soon.

So I'm scratching my head over what this new product will be . . .

SpamJunkie
Jan 5, 2004, 05:13 PM
Lots of good speculation here.

I agree with the sentiment that for GarageBand to be a consumer recording app Apple has to provide or suggest hardware to allow such recording.

Something that would work with iMacs even. So it would probably be based on Firewire.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13430

That article only mentions audio out but there isn't a good reason to design an audio controller that can't deal with audio in.

NoVi
Jan 5, 2004, 05:14 PM
From a marketing view it would be more lucrative for Apple to aim at the music professional and offer a tightly integrated environment. Some sort of competition for ProTools, so to speak.
Small user base, but higher margins.

As others indicated, only a nice recording app won't do. A good music recording involves so much more than just an app. You need a lot of tools (mics/ preamps/ mixing desk), personnel and experience to make a good recording. The entrance level is so much steeper than for consumer photo- or video-editing.

Last but not least, for low end applications there are already so much products, that make more sense to me:

http://www.fostex.co.jp/int/pages/products/dmer/mr8.htm

or

http://www.rolandus.com/products/category.asp?CatID=12

splashman
Jan 5, 2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 200paul
I talked to Dr lengling about the next version of Logic and he confirmed to me their will be a major overhaul to the UI. Now I'm not a fan of Logic or its UI but I think the many people who are fans of Logic will be dissapointed at this blanding of an out piece of German engineering.

P@ul

I love Logic, but when I first got it, the learning curve seemed much steeper than similar apps. No, I don't look forward to a big UI overhaul, but I don't blame Apple for wanting to change it, either.

RBMaraman
Jan 5, 2004, 05:21 PM
GarageBand will not be a program for people to upload music to iTMS. A few months ago, MacRumors (quoting from Billboard) posted about Apple's 'iTunes Producer' program that allows artists, producers, and labels to encode and upload music to iTMS.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031023000428.shtml

So, GarageBand must be the new consumer audio 'iApp'.

bennetsaysargh
Jan 5, 2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by sgrcts
just to reply- you can get an mbox with pro tools for less then 450 bucks. Thats hardly expensive or poor software.

well, seeing as macworld is a consumer expo, i think it will indeed be consumer. people aren't all that bad at making their own music. maybe having loop capabilities can be in there, but no loops supplied.
450 dollars is a lot for people who are not rich and can't afford it but make good music. some high school bands might be good, but they can't spend 450 dollars on a piece of software.

jeffy.dee-lux
Jan 5, 2004, 05:25 PM
OK, think about the name. Garage Band. Now, do you think Apple will really come up with a solution for small bands to record their music with this consumer application? Apple would have to offer an affordable way to hook up good microphones to your Mac, which wouldn't exactly be something I can see Apple doing. And you know that Apple's not going to let you use the built in microphone on you Mac, because they suck. Unless, Apple comes out with an iSight type microphone at an affordable price, but I doubt that they'll do that. Hopefully it will have some useful audio editing features, though. If it's not going to be a recording app, then it would probably be some sort of mixing/editing app. I doubt they'll add notation, but you never know. Of course, if they do make it a recording app, with an iSight like microphone, I would hope they add some editing and mixing features, because I know my band directors could really use something like that...

Apple didn't need to come out with they're own dv recorder when iMovie came around. I think it would be perfectly logical for them to make an application that's parallel to imovie, but that deals with audio instead. I've made lots of recordings through the little hole in the top of my imac, and i'm perfectly happy with the outcome, the computer noise ain't so bad. If they come out with a cheap way to do some multitrack recording, i'll go out and get a decent mic (a lot cheaper than a dv recorder) and start burning my own cds. then its off to the subway to sell them for 5$ a pop, yeah!

i'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in
-Kurt Cobain

youngjake
Jan 5, 2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by sgrcts

True enough.
My Bad :)

none the less, while protools LE is great, most of the guys I record stuff for with my computer - are afraid of computers. ProTools isn't the most intuitive program, unless you already know somthing about recording.

Apple can't reinvent the wheel here, but it would be nice to see a really inviting recording app for the singer/songwriter, not the recording engineer.

-Jake

j33pd0g
Jan 5, 2004, 05:30 PM
Garage band... I hope it is some kind of CD Mastering software: Make sure your tracks are all the same volume, compression... feature to add bonus media... red book CD'S. :)

As far as the PDF topic goes, would that cut into laptop sales? I don't think Apple would want to do that..

jcroft
Jan 5, 2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
well, seeing as macworld is a consumer expo, i think it will indeed be consumer.

Right, that makes sense. MacWorld is a consumer expo, so they'll only introduce consumer products -- like, you know, THE XSERVE.

Hello.

jcroft
Jan 5, 2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by j33pd0g
Garage band... I hope it is some kind of CD Mastering software: Make sure your tracks are all the same volume, compression... feature to add bonus media... red book CD'S. :)

As far as the PDF topic goes, would that cut into laptop sales? I don't think Apple would want to do that..

Why would Apple aid bands in making CDs when Apple is in the business of competing with CDs?

200paul
Jan 5, 2004, 05:37 PM
An Mbox is about as easy as you can get and its a Digidesign product (Avid)

Apple has been pretty nice in the war between them and Avid but if Apple could sell you an Imac and an $200 interface with a $50 iApp insted of a MBox they wouldn't say sorry to anyone.

I'm sorry to see Digidesign at such a crossroads. Their card based processing is quickly becomming obsolete with the increased speeds of both Macs and PCs. But it is a standard - try to find a professional studio without Pro Tools - you really can't.

The Pro Tools LE line (Mbox 002) is wierd because it not only serves its immediate purpose but its like a gateway product because you get hooked on Pro Tools and then end up buying the $20,000+ HD/TDM systems in the future.

To Apple that $20,000+ translates into G5s, XServes, Software and ??? whatever Apple branded audio interfaces that will arrive at either NAMM or Macworld.

jcroft
Jan 5, 2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by RBMaraman
GarageBand will not be a program for people to upload music to iTMS. A few months ago, MacRumors (quoting from Billboard) posted about Apple's 'iTunes Producer' program that allows artists, producers, and labels to encode and upload music to iTMS.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031023000428.shtml

So, GarageBand must be the new consumer audio 'iApp'.

Oh yeah. And rumors sites have NEVER got their rumored product names mixed up. Noooo way.

greg6028
Jan 5, 2004, 05:38 PM

I think they are all over it. Just not in the hardware yet.
How about these consumer DVRs with DVD burners. Everyone is making these to replace VCRs! Why doesn't Apple get into this too?

200paul
Jan 5, 2004, 05:44 PM
BTW all I remember about my Garage Band when I was a kid was stealing beers from the outside fridge, Stairway to Heaven and the cops coming because the old lady across the street called. We played parties and I thought I was a god.

Seriously who comes up with these names?

Photorun
Jan 5, 2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by youngjake
True enough.
My Bad :)

none the less, while protools LE is great, most of the guys I record stuff for with my computer - are afraid of computers. ProTools isn't the most intuitive program, unless you already know somthing about recording.

Apple can't reinvent the wheel here, but it would be nice to see a really inviting recording app for the singer/songwriter, not the recording engineer.

-Jake

I agree. I have an Mbox and Protools LE for X which LOOKS really cool and 95% of the stuff I'm still not sure what it does. It's overkill if it's just me and my guitar miked up and sure, I can find myself around to the start stop record but so much other stuff is like ARG! If this was a simple tracks recorder for the Mac I'd be so happy I'd pee my pants.

sanford
Jan 5, 2004, 05:51 PM
2 GB, that's about 400-500 songs AAC 128 Kbps or 40-50 full-length albums. That's a lot to have with you for a day or a month. Using iTunes to manage a dynamic, rotating playlist from your greater collection; and a static list for must-have faves. $150. If true, that would go a long way toward making the iPod a truly affordable consumer portable music device. Plenty of people coughed up that much for a good portable CD player. I mean it's great that I can carry my entire music collection around on my 30GB iPod with space left over for adding new purchases, but it's a *completely* superfluous luxury. New buyers, especially students and anyone on a budget -- including me: had their been a $150 iPod when I bought mine instead of the low-end at $300, I would have easily bought the 2 GB mini iPod -- will, I think, be pleased.

Now I wonder, again if all the mini iPod hoopla is true, if Apple will use the dock connector, which adds size and high-end features, or just go with USB 2.0 or FireWire as the connection interface.

Either way, I guess I come up a winner. I already have my 30GB iPod. And were it to tank on me after the warranty expires, I'd have a viable, inexpensive alternative -- saying mini iPod comes in at $150 -- to paying the $250 to repair the 30 GB.

uberman42
Jan 5, 2004, 05:52 PM
...posts ago someone mentioned Apple and Sun getting together to develop and polish Star Office. But they mentioned that MS Office development would be nixed.

Now here is my stream of (un)consciousness... Now, what if Apple and Sun do release Star Office that competes feature to feature with Office, but "dumps" it as freeware. Yes Freeware. Full office compatibility, or better yet, no compatibility with office. Who cares when you can swing the mindshare over to an app that is free and does everything that office does (without the feature bloat), except having a bloated price tag. talk about serious damage to Microsoft. That is why microsoft is expanding to other markets because there will be a time (possibly now) when people (and enterprises) would just say, screw it, I am tired of having to pay the licenses over and over. This i believe would drive adoption rates for Macs. Since it works on PCs and Macs et al. there is no worry of compatibility. Of course, if it is that good, then Linux adoption rates as a desktop would skyrocket. So then again maybe no. Unless it is not ported to run on linux. yada yada yada...

wankle
Jan 5, 2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by someone

So come on now, saying apple is not in the PDA business holds no merit!?

You're funny.

Apple "started the PDA business" with the Netwon. Big freakin' deal. They haven't sold one since then, so how on earth can you say they're in the PDA business.

They've added PDA features to the iPod, but it's still not even close to a PDA. Hell, the iPod might be the most feature-free PDA of all time! YOU CAN'T ENTER ANY DATA WITH IT.

Apple is not in the PDA business, whether they GET into it remains to be seen, but digging up a product like the newton to justify your point is like saying Apple is in the game console business because of the Pippin!

Rod Rod
Jan 5, 2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 200paul

The Pro Tools LE line (Mbox 002) is wierd because it not only serves its immediate purpose but its like a gateway product because you get hooked on Pro Tools and then end up buying the $20,000+ HD/TDM systems in the future.

To Apple that $20,000+ translates into G5s, XServes, Software and ??? whatever Apple branded audio interfaces that will arrive at either NAMM or Macworld.

another thing, that $20,000 lets you get high-end decks and things like the AJA io (if you do video work too), professional monitors and big fast RAIDs.

RBMaraman
Jan 5, 2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by jcroft
Oh yeah. And rumors sites have NEVER got their rumored product names mixed up. Noooo way.

jcroft,

It's obvious that you didn't fully read my post. I stated that MacRumors quoted from Billboard. Billboard did CONFIRM that Apple started a program called 'iTunes Producer' which allows artists, producers, and record labels to encode music and submit it to Apple for upload into iTMS.

Perhaps I should have stated my previous post differently. In hindsight, it did appear that I was just quoting a rumor, but this rumor was later confirmed.

tny
Jan 5, 2004, 06:12 PM

The iPod is NOT A PDA. It is a music player. If you need a PDA, I'd suggest buying something from PalmOne or Sony. Apple will come out with whatever products it thinks will improve its bottom line, and at the moment, the PDA market is still very weak, so there's no incentive for Apple to re-enter it.

WK2003
Jan 5, 2004, 06:13 PM
hey, what about powerbook updates? G5 updates? iMac updates? how much would the new mini-iPod cost???

tny
Jan 5, 2004, 06:20 PM
I'm surprised Apple Computer has done as much as it has, considering the lawsuit by Apple Corps.

Hilariously, on the website http://www.garageband.com/ , which is going to have some trouble I think if Apple has successfully trademarked software called "GarageBand", they currently have a blurb from George Martin.

jMc
Jan 5, 2004, 06:23 PM
Garage Band is nothing more than an extension of .Mac, allowing .Mac users to upload their own tunes to their own .Mac space and letting it be searchable from the iTunes store...

Ahem.

Loopy
Jan 5, 2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by metajunkie
It would hardly make sense to to make Garage Band a "loop" program, especially since they sell soundtrack independent of FCP.

What apple is missing from the iApps is a way to record your own music.

Think about it: this application is for "Garage Bands" i.e. people who don't have tons of cash but want to do some good recording.

Hopefully, it will sport some kind of integration with soundtrack - i've been itching to get own loops in there.

You can put your own loops in. Soundtrack comes with the Soundtrack Loop Utility.

200paul
Jan 5, 2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by jMc
Garage Band is nothing more than an extension of .Mac, allowing .Mac users to upload their own tunes to their own .Mac space and letting it be searchable from the iTunes store...

Ahem.

You know what I hope you are right

P@ul

Flowbee
Jan 5, 2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by jMc

Ahem.

Now that's the most interesting idea I've read all day.

greenstork
Jan 5, 2004, 06:38 PM

I'm sorry a band without microphones isn't much of a band now is it? Even the lowliest, cheapest bands have mics. I wouldn't exactly want a omputer company selling me audio equipment anyway, that's just my two cents.

greenstork
Jan 5, 2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by jamka
I was thinking that garage band might be something for braudcasting music short range, like around one's house. Garage band, kinda like citizen's band.

Unless your neighbors are only one house away (not two houses), you are going to reach many folks. The FCC would make sure of that.

bryanc
Jan 5, 2004, 06:40 PM
I think jMc is has probably got it right here

Originally posted by jMc

However, I predict this will be integrated with the predicted consumer audio app (iLogic) and possibly with iTunesProducer, making it an all-in-one solution for amature musicians to get their product on line.

So anyone with a quiet room, a few microphones and a mac will be able to produce home-made CDs, market themselves on-line, and, hopefully, allow access to their music through an extension of the iTMS interface.

The only problem I see with this is it certainly puts Apple in violation of it's agreement with Apple Corps. I can only hope that Apple Legal has sorted that out.

Cheers

autrefois
Jan 5, 2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by tny
Hilariously, on the website http://www.garageband.com/ , which is going to have some trouble I think if Apple has successfully trademarked software called "GarageBand", they currently have a blurb from George Martin.

Wow, what a good discovery and odd coincidence! I don't know a whole lot about copyright law, but I think Apple would have some problems, not the website. Just a quick look and I see apparently the site's been around since 1999.

http://www.garageband.com/news/changelog.html

According to them, "With the loss of MP3.com, Garageband emerges as the largest source of free music on the web and remains the largest community of independent musicians."

If GarageBand the application is really what people have been speculating, Apple would be an obvious competitor to this site, and using a name that's been used for several years. Hmm...

ionas
Jan 5, 2004, 06:42 PM
i ll put the moamin' at the bottom.

we can only hope that the xserve will on 2,2 2,4 and 2,6 ghz. (for example)

that way they ll leave some lower numbers for a power mac g5 update to follow soon (in the next 2 month)

like:

1,8 ghz dual
2,0 ghz dual
2,2 ghz dual

or

2,0 ghz dual,
2,2 ghz dual,
2,4 ghz dual.

out of marketing reasons i would not push the desktop (or workstation) class system higher than the server system (even if i know that mhzs is myth and that in the server biz its room*power*price/security*performance (hope i didnt forget anything - power includes heat) )

there are still many more or less stupid server admins out (else they would never buy p4 servers ;p) so i must be right.

if i were a bit dumper than i already am i would not buy a 2,2 ghz xServe if the dual g5 workstation system had already 2,6 ghz

or do you think this all is rubbish

and here my moams

i mean - i wanted to buy a damn 2ghz, but with 3 years warrenty + bluetooth + 9800 radeon + 250gb hd disk (one disk), - modem, - student rebate i still was at something between 3700 and 4000 euros (nah i dont like $ ;p)

and then they brought the 1,8 dualy, and i thought okay an 9600 will do it - will upgrade in a year or so - and then i was at a price i would have been able to pay - but the money was given out...

bad bad idea do release such a bad mid and low end model at the beginning.

would have released the 1,8ghz single, radeon 9000 or nv56xx with dvd/cdrw at the low end.

but well - enough moaming in very bad english ;p

so what do you say - will they release a rev b of the g5 before summer - i really badly want one - and i dont want to wait for the 3ghz which will have bugs for sure again (like freezing bugs, overheating harddisks, and what ever you can think of,... you might remember, but well thats natural for new products, maybe it wont be that worth when they switch from the power4+ to the power5+ derivation)

bensisko
Jan 5, 2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by tny
The iPod is NOT A PDA. It is a music player. If you need a PDA, I'd suggest buying something from PalmOne or Sony. Apple will come out with whatever products it thinks will improve its bottom line, and at the moment, the PDA market is still very weak, so there's no incentive for Apple to re-enter it.

I agree with you that Apple will NOT make a PDA. I disagree with your reasoning. People seem to forget the MP3 player market was small and stagnent when Apple entered the game. Reinventing a market is just as good as creating one. In fact, looking at a dead market and creating a product that can blow the competition away, epspecially if it's incredibly different is sometimes a safer bet than creating a brand new market or even jumping into a fast growing one.

When Apple created the iPod, it wasn't just an mp3 player, it was the world's easiest to use, no instructions needed, small, stylish mp3 player.

I think that there is enough of a market for people who want to mix their own music to create an express version of Soundtrack. Your 'average joe' might want to create a 'unique' piece of music to accompany their wedding cd, or their vacation photos (using iPhoto slide show).

Apple isn't really about creating new markets (anymore), they are in the business of reinventing them.

bennetsaysargh
Jan 5, 2004, 06:45 PM
well bands have mics, but some don't plug directly into the computer. they plug into amps.

jettredmont
Jan 5, 2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
uhh, if it's a consumer app, it won't be loaded with plugins, features, and instruments.

My guess is it's something like soundtrack but without the pro-ish features. Probably with a much smaller sample library (maybe you could buy new ones through the iTMS???) And a limited number of tracks. Some integration with .Mac. And some integration with iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto.

That would be my guess too.

Remember, Final Cut Pro didn't include SoundTrack when Final Cut Express 1.0 was released. As the first FCE release since FCP 4.0, it is quite likely that something along the lines of SoundTrack will be included in FCE 2.0.

tny
Jan 5, 2004, 06:49 PM
Wow, what a good discovery and odd coincidence! I don't know a whole lot about copyright law, but I think Apple would have some problems, not the website. Just a quick look and I see apparently the site's been around since 1999.

http://www.garageband.com/news/changelog.html

According to them, "With the loss of MP3.com, Garageband emerges as the largest source of free music on the web and remains the largest community of independent musicians."

If GarageBand the application is really what people have been speculating, Apple would be an obvious competitor to this site, and using a name that's been used for several years. Hmm...

Garageband.com is registered as a trademark by this website, and Garage Band is registered by Apple. Interesting.

greenstork
Jan 5, 2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by splashman
As long as we're all guessing, here's my thoughts . . .

An app for music creation/manipulation (i.e., Logic, SoundTrack, Reason, etc.) is NOT a consumer (mass-market) product. Some of you believe the average joe writes their own music and/or wants to record their own music, and that just isn't the case. I'm a writing/recording musician myself (Platinum 6 rocks!), and the average joe has no more clue about music production than they do nuclear physics. Yes, there is probably a market for another cheap (<$100) audio app, but it's not nearly large enough for Apple to bother with. Keep in mind that Logic has multiple price points, all the way down to $229.

Others have speculated about GB being a tool for bands to submit their music to iTunes. It just might be, but again, it doesn't seem like a mass-market product that would make a big splash. And it wasn't that long ago, at the rollout of the Windows ITMS, that SJ trumpeted the fact that ITMS contains only "quality" tracks, as opposed to other services that allow any garage band to upload tracks for a fee. Would seem a bit strange for him to change course so soon.

So I'm scratching my head over what this new product will be . . .

Of course it's not a "mass-market" application, the mass market isn't in a band creating music. It would however, cater to a niche of hobbist musicians whether it's an iApp to edit/mix tracks or to upload to iTunes. It fits right in with Apple, enabling the hobby artist to use computers to polish their product. That's exactly what iMovie and iDVD do for home movies and it strikes me as a perfect product for Apple, right up their alley. Even iPhoto enables people who have very litttle technical skills to migrate their digital photos to their computer to organize, edit, and print, all from the comfort of your computer chair.

Apple is all about simplifying very technical programs to enable the average joe to tackle projects like moviemaking and recording/sound mixing. If Apple can make a technical prject like editing/mixing audio tracks easy enough for the non-techies, bravo!

greenstork
Jan 5, 2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by j33pd0g

They make a program like that already called iTunes

BagelTycoon
Jan 5, 2004, 06:55 PM
I'd be willing to bet $100 that Garage Band is a means for small bands getting their music online and for sale in iTMS.

What band(s) will Steve plug when if/when a 'Garage Band' app is announced tomorrow?

entropy1980
Jan 5, 2004, 06:58 PM
Maybe garageband is a codename?

tny
Jan 5, 2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
They make a program like that already called iTunes

Actually, no, the poster said "mastering" CDs, not ripping them. Mastering a CD means taking AIFF files (or what have you) you've recorded yourself, live, and creating a CD image you can burn (in other words, it would be a CD equivalent to iDVD). I don't think he's right, myself, but hey, I really have no idea what Garage Band is.

neoelectronaut
Jan 5, 2004, 07:10 PM
All I can say is that I want an iPod, but I'm not willing to shell out $300+ on such a thing. If they can bump it down to $140-180, then it's definitely a no-brainer, no matter what the capacity.

aldo
Jan 5, 2004, 07:23 PM
Garageband sounds wrong. It doesn't sound like Apple at all.. I mean you have the iApps and you have Keynote (which is a great name) but Garage Band is too long and clumsy to be a very well used name. It also sounds cheap and amateurish.

I think it will be a .Mac extension and there will also be a new consumer line iApp.

I mean I don't think a new iApp will be a .Mac extension... so there has to be more.

Also, what the hell happened to the new form factor iMac's... they seemed to disappear off the radar a while back and they need to surface some time because Apple's current low-mid end range suck.. iMac is too pricey and eMac is a CRT. I want headless goddamn it!

Either way I can't wait!! It's going to kick ass and I hope that the stream will hold up otherwise I am going to be mighty pissed...

kjdenison
Jan 5, 2004, 07:25 PM
if this is all true i will be very dissapointed, a 4g will be way to small for me, but i dont want to buy an old design ipod, i wish they would update the 10gig its been out FOREVER.

network23
Jan 5, 2004, 07:30 PM
I'm here at MWSF and as usual, there are big covered-up banners all over the place. They look even bigger than last year!

I think Steve is going to suprise us with something unexpected, 'cause I don't see what's on the table as being worthy of all these large banners!

arn
Jan 5, 2004, 07:31 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040101054952.shtml

Interesting possibly related.

arn

hokka
Jan 5, 2004, 07:38 PM
Could Garage Band being a actual "Band"? as in a bracelet? the new miniPod as a bracelet?

balconycollapse
Jan 5, 2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks for that article about the Oxford controller. I am really excited about this Garage Band mystery product. My guess is Garage Band is a logic lite app similar to pro tools LE and comes bundled with an apple audio interface or bundled with a third party offering from someone like oxford. I've been deliberately holding off until after the 6th to settle on an audio interface in the $500 range (was debating an mBox or m-audio firewire). My biggest problem with the mBox is USB which is ancient and i certaintly can't shell out for the $1000+ firewire digidesign hardware.
I've heard rumors for a long time about Apple planning from osx inception to release hardware to integrate with audio video apps specifically logic. If its anything like the mBox it will do well however i think the glaring problem for the target demographic (including mbox owners) is most of those who can't afford music hardware also have a modest computer setup such as an imac g4 and no room for dsp audio cards to take the heat off. All the current audio sequencers from DP4, Logic, Cubase, to Tracktion are hogs requiring you to invest 1000 just for the app and enough RAM (even a dual). Then go spend another 500 on audio hardware then realize you need better mics direct boxes etc. Reason has been able to attain success because of its processor friendliness but is only midi. The average entry "garage" or bedroom musician or powerbook professional on the road will be disappointed if the hardware doesn't take some of the heat of their machine. They could solve this by making the hardware do more of the work to complement entry level imac or emac or powerbooks. A DSP processor that runs AUs maybe like an external version of a TC Powercore and add some RAM in there somewhere possibly even a 10g harddrive. My hope is that apple has talked with artists like BT and moby to get input on what would be necessary to create multiple track pro level music effects and all on a factory (no added ram) powerbook in an hotel with one dream piece of hardware running off firewire on a nightstand without causing the computer to freeze or crap out or kill audio. Most certainly i agree with the point that the native horsepower of G5s will eventually make hardware obsolete. I definately agree that Apple needs to put the clamps on the pro audio market and defend themselves from Avid.

Maybe?

Garage Band + Hardware (name unknown)

Introducing Garage Band the consumer level audio app based on Logic Pro Audio with a totally redesigned GUI supporting Audio Units. Included are the professional quality basic logic AU like bitcrusher and reverbs. Incredibly processor friendly taking advantage of Core Audio

Introducing Garage Band hardware with 256 RAM and a DSP chip to do all the hardwork so your computer doesn't have to. Included is an 8 channel DAW mixer built by Oxford that runs completely off firewire power. A 10 gig hardrive to store your recent mix. Is video your thing? Garage Band hardware has jog shuttles for use with Logic FCP4 or iMovie and basic play stop fast forward edit controls also allowing you to control customizable parameters. Not a musicisan or video pro? Use the hardware to convert your vinyl to cd or transfer any media for presentations or speeches through the Garage band audio/video inputs and outputs included RCA, Toslink, 1/4, XLR, firewire 400/800, S-Video, etc.

I'm dreaming :)

HenMaster6000
Jan 5, 2004, 07:44 PM
Haven't Read all the posts, so excuse me is this has already been suggested. GarageBand could be a stripped down version of Soundtrack being bundled with the Final Cut Express 2.0 we've heard about. Makes sense, but will they come out with Garage-Livetype? Who knows, but it doesn't seem like "Garageband" is an iApp because it doesn't have an i like all of the others do.

wankle
Jan 5, 2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by hokka
Could Garage Band being a actual "Band"? as in a bracelet? the new miniPod as a bracelet?

No, no it can't. That's the most insanely silly thing I've ever read. I can't believe I wasted 10 seconds replying to it.

jacobslateralus
Jan 5, 2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by tny

All this talk about an Apple PDA has gotten me all flustered. Enough to finally register and make my own post.

I just want to say that, yes, the PDA market is weak, but the mp3 player market was virtually non-existant before the ipod. That is what I think Apple is missing (or maybe they're just waiting untill the time is right). I think if they made a PDA based off of the rumored 2 gig ipods that was ultra small, ultra sleek, and had that magic apple-sauce inside that they're so famous for, they would sell like hot cakes and create their own market.

edit: I guess I was too slow, bensisko allready made this point

hokka
Jan 5, 2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by wankle
No, no it can't. That's the most insanely silly thing I've ever read. I can't believe I wasted 10 seconds replying to it.

:D

...time to light one up and relax :cool:

aafuss1
Jan 5, 2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
who says?
Basicallt-v 6.x came out in 2000,and I see that there been updates since, but no new major features or a new major version release. It seems the rival Microsoft Works (used to be on the Mac) has been updated to v 7 in 2002, v8 could be this year ,-so I'd predict Apple coi;d pull off a new version with many new features under a new name.

balconycollapse
Jan 5, 2004, 08:12 PM
Actually a bracelet mp3 player would be an excellent idea hokka! "what's that on your wrist"...a 100 dollar apple music player of course :) talk about another entry into fashion but only if it were small like a usb drive and bluetooth headphones i don't think it would be small enough and i wouldn't want to look like one of those "nerds" with calculator watches. Apple is always one for word play so we'll see. garage (car) band (music) could be a car based music system integrated with itunes and ipod. Or a short version of "gay reggae band" who knows what that could be. Peace love and hardonme.

the_mole1314
Jan 5, 2004, 08:14 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL!

Grange Band is an iApp that gets me Starbucks, warms up my car, and converts 2.98 Windows users to Apple per day. :p

I think Grage Band is ALL of what we have said (minus the Starbucks) in one package.

DHagan4755
Jan 5, 2004, 08:24 PM
From C|Net:

Security during set-up for the show is tight, as always, with Apple's booth obscured by a huge black tarp on all sides. Posted at the main entrance are two rather generic banners for the iPod. Tucked neatly behind each of the 15-foot banners, however, is another banner that is rolled up and whose contents are obscured from view, presumably a banner containing details of at least some of what Jobs has up his sleeve.

Photorun
Jan 5, 2004, 08:30 PM
All this talk and hype mere hours before MWSF and nary a G5 Powerbook whining weenie wanking about there not being one and/or there will be one with unrealistic specs? Wow!

uberman42
Jan 5, 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
All this talk and hype mere hours before MWSF and nary a G5 Powerbook whining weenie wanking about there not being one and/or there will be one with unrealistic specs? Wow!

See how Steve's distortion field has done to our thinking. We talk of mini pods while the big questions have been swept under the rug. Diabolical mastermind.

I think a G5 powerbook can still be had. It is about time to snap the Win PCs wedding tackle.

QCassidy352
Jan 5, 2004, 08:56 PM

Apple considered going the PDA route with the newton - and decided that it wasn't a good idea.

Apple was not always in the music business, but now they are. The same thing could certainly happen with the PDA market, but Jobs has said many times that Apple is not interested in making PDAs or tablet PCs.

PDA functionality in the ipod is an extra. No one buys an ipod to use as a PDA, nor did apple think that they would.

I don't know why Jobs wanted to buy Palm, but it never happened. That should tell you something.

Inkwell, iCal, and isync are there because Apple knows that users want those features because they have third party devices. The Mac OS has printer support - does that mean Apple is getting back in to the printer business to compete with HP, Canon, and Epson?

Of course Apple acknowledges the PDA market, and because mac users have PDAs, Apple technology often is related to PDA type devices. But not only has Jobs said they are not making a PDA or tablet PC, I think he is absolutely right to avoid these products.

MP3 players were out there, but were a niche market when ipod came along. CDs were still dominant, and even minidiscs had some followers. The ipod was the first really good MP3 player. Could apple make a good PDA? Sure, but there are already good PDAs in a way that wasn't the case with MP3 players prior to ipod.

How far do you want apple to go? Want them to make portable video players, TVs, PDAs, and cell phones? No, no no. Apple is a computer company. They already do more than most companies by developing both hardware and software. Now they do music too. Continued diversification is not a good idea, IMO. Do one thing, do it well. Be the best at what you do. Don't try to be all things to all people.

SPG
Jan 5, 2004, 09:17 PM
Here it is, the much anticipated new portable music device that matches the retro sounding name of "Garage Band"

AA
One of the sweetest portable turntables you'll ever hope to own -- designed by the turntablist crew at Vestax, and essential for the modern crate digger! This sweet little baby is a pleasure to use -- very well made, slimmed-down, and durable -- easy to plug in anywhere with its own AC power source (120 volts), or even more portable with 6 D cell batteries! The turntable plays at 33, 45, and 78 rpm -- and it's also got a pitch control so you can check for beats. The unit has its own speaker -- a nice little one for discreet play while checking out records -- but there's a sweet headphone jack that's nice and loud, making the table a really great one for private listening, especially if you don't want anyone to hear the great records you're checking out! Additional features include a solid plastic lid that snaps firmly in place; stereo RCA output plugs, for connecting to a mixer; and even a mono line in jack too! Pretty darn sweet -- and a great investment when you go out record-digging -- one that's bound to save you a lot of money in the long run!

http://www.dustygroove.com/misc.htm#64751

j33pd0g
Jan 5, 2004, 09:26 PM
Why would Apple aid bands in making CDs when Apple is in the business of competing with CDs?

A CD is a tangible item. I bought my mac do to create just that. It's on a CD before it becomes an mp3, or an AAC. No CD and you got nothing to rip. You can't sell an mp3 at a bar, or where ever your show is. You could, but how many people do you know who bring an iPod or ITMS with them?

Hey, maybe Apple should get rid of CD burners. No one uses those anymore.

doc
Jan 5, 2004, 09:29 PM
Nobody has mentioned that Garage Band could quite easily not be a piece of software for the actual mac but instead for the ipod.

what reason is there that apple couldn't offer a payware app for the ipod that switches on high quality recording?

if i were a spotty teen thrashing a guitar with my mates, and i could record the whole thing on my ipod, i'd be happy as pie. equally if i was a professional musician and i could record high quality sample out in-the-field, i'd be grinning too.

i reckon for 25, i'd probably buy this app for my ipod to record all sorts of things.

autrefois
Jan 5, 2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by SPG
Here it is, the much anticipated new portable music device that matches the retro sounding name of "Garage Band"

Groovy!* Moving down in speed from GHz to RPMs. :) But how much is it going for?!?

* (Groovy...records...no pun was intended, honestly)

wankle
Jan 5, 2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by doc
Nobody has mentioned that Garage Band could quite easily not be a piece of software for the actual mac but instead for the ipod.

what reason is there that apple couldn't offer a payware app for the ipod that switches on high quality recording?

if i were a spotty teen thrashing a guitar with my mates, and i could record the whole thing on my ipod, i'd be happy as pie. equally if i was a professional musician and i could record high quality sample out in-the-field, i'd be grinning too.

i reckon for 25, i'd probably buy this app for my ipod to record all sorts of things.

Because it takes more than software to record music. You need lots of hardware to get music into an iPod in any kind of usable form. Mics, all kinds of things. Maybe it could be a hardware/software combo pack to record straight to the iPod, but I seriously doubt that. It makes a lot more sense to record into a computer.

doc
Jan 5, 2004, 09:48 PM
Because it takes more than software to record music. You need lots of hardware to get music into an iPod in any kind of usable form. Mics, all kinds of things.

mics (and "all kinds of things") can be picked up cheaply and i'd very much doubt that anyone that has the budget and knowhow to purchase a guitar would have so many problems sourcing a mic

[i] It makes a lot more sense to record into a computer. [/B]

not if you're in a garage or in a field and don't have a laptop

anyway, i was getting bored reading through so many similar thoughts on cut-down versions of logic et al. and thought i'd diversify. it does beg the question as to when (not if) apple will start payware for the ipod - but i guess that's another thread.

wankle
Jan 5, 2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by doc
mics (and "all kinds of things") can be picked up cheaply and i'd very much doubt that anyone that has the budget and knowhow to purchase a guitar would have so many problems sourcing a mic

My point was that simply a piece of software is not enough. Even if you have all the "normal" audio gear, you still need more hardware to get it into the iPod, that was my point. It takes a lot more than a $30 App, even if the person has a full PA system for gigs.

not if you're in a garage or in a field and don't have a laptop

anyway, i was getting bored reading through so many similar thoughts on cut-down versions of logic et al. and thought i'd diversify. it does beg the question as to when (not if) apple will start payware for the ipod - but i guess that's another thread.

That's an interesting thought. I don't think there's much of anything that the iPod can do without some extra hardware, making the "payware" part of the equation an afterthought. It's all about the accessories, and the software that comes along with them doesn't matter much. I can't think of a single thing that the iPod can do with just software, except games and PDA-esque stuff. After all, at that point, it's just a hard drive most of the time.

splashman
Jan 5, 2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by HenMaster6000
Haven't Read all the posts, so excuse me is this has already been suggested. GarageBand could be a stripped down version of Soundtrack being bundled with the Final Cut Express 2.0 we've heard about. Makes sense, but will they come out with Garage-Livetype? Who knows, but it doesn't seem like "Garageband" is an iApp because it doesn't have an i like all of the others do.

Um, Apple stripped down FCP and called it FCE. If they are stripping down Soundtrack (I don't believe this for a second), why wouldn't they call it Soundtrack Express? A completely new name would be unnecessarily confusing.

elgruga
Jan 5, 2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by bobindashadows
I must say that was one of the unin! telligible posts ever? I think, he saying that IPOD business?! no! PDA, palm iPhone good can get them.

In all seriousness, I think I get what you're saying - Apple needs to keep the PDA features out of the iPod and put them into an iPhone/Newton.

This post wins award for funniest of the year (well its only five days old - sorry to damn you with faint praise)
I am rotfl, big time. Thanks!

all our ipod are belong to us comes to mind......

splashman
Jan 5, 2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
Of course it's not a "mass-market" application, the mass market isn't in a band creating music. It would however, cater to a niche of hobbist musicians whether it's an iApp to edit/mix tracks or to upload to iTunes. It fits right in with Apple, enabling the hobby artist to use computers to polish their product. That's exactly what iMovie and iDVD do for home movies and it strikes me as a perfect product for Apple, right up their alley. Even iPhoto enables people who have very litttle technical skills to migrate their digital photos to their computer to organize, edit, and print, all from the comfort of your computer chair.

Okay, let me think about this. How many people that I know own and use video cameras? Hmmm. Virtually every family with kids has one. Now, how many people do I know that write/record their own music. Hmmm. Let's see. There's me. My friend Chris. Another friend Jeff. Two friends of his, including the guy who runs the studio. And . . . Hmmm.

Apple is all about simplifying very technical programs to enable the average joe to tackle projects like moviemaking and recording/sound mixing. If Apple can make a technical prject like editing/mixing audio tracks easy enough for the non-techies, bravo!

Apple can do anything they want. The question is what they will do.

The only thing I've heard so far that makes any sense is the .Mac extension for uploading/sharing tracks. That would be a great new perk for .Mac subscribers.

elgruga
Jan 5, 2004, 10:44 PM
If this is an app or a piece of hardware to record songs at home and mix etc. in the way of the istuff model - I will buy NOW!

I just wrote this cool song (yeah, well my kids like it, so neener neener) and I need something better than Audacity, but way less complex than ProTools.

Please, Steve, make my day!

wankle
Jan 5, 2004, 10:50 PM
The one thing that everyone talks about is "uploading things to the iTunes store" as if this is something people would actually do. Getting a song and a deal with the iTunes Music Store is NOT easy, and the average person doesn't ever ever need do that.

Apple will never ever produce a consumer app to upload music to the iTunes music store. There are probably a few dozen companies in the entire world that need to do that. Uploading to .Mac maybe, but never ever the iTunes Music Store.

Apple does not need to get a bunch of **** garage bands in the iTunes music store, they're not interested in publishing your cousin Dirk's goth band Drkld, and they will NOT write an app that interfaces with the store for anyone but close partners. Get a grip! :D

elgruga
Jan 5, 2004, 10:54 PM
Apple does not need to get a bunch of **** garage bands in the iTunes music store, they're not interested in publishing your cousin Dirk's goth band Drkld, and they will NOT write an app that interfaces with the store for anyone but close partners. Get a grip! :D

I hope you are happy now that you have SMASHED my dreams of being an indie garageband on ITMS.

Hell, I am almost getting barre chords and my singing lately has not caused the cats to yowl at anything like the volume they used to....

Squire
Jan 5, 2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by splashman
The only thing I've heard so far that makes any sense is the .Mac extension for uploading/sharing tracks. That would be a great new perk for .Mac subscribers.

Yeah, they already do that (in a way) with iPhoto and .Mac. Isn't that what the slides program is for? Possible. It's definitely not a way to get amateurs into iTunes. Somebody mentioned it 5 pages ago and I'll say it again: Steve has already bashed another online music store for allowing the sale of tunes from anyone willing to pay 50 bucks. He then went on to say how iTunes is full of quality tracks.

If Garage Band is an app for folks on a budget to just play around with and create music, I think it's great. Like others have said, not for the masses but a lot of people will like it.

Squire

Doctor Q
Jan 5, 2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by hob
AppleWorks is a total piece of junk, IMHO - it's just trying to imitate Office, and does it badly... either they should drop it all together, or they should make it bring something completely new to the table altogether...AppleWorks was the competitor to MS Works, not MS Office. But I agree it is way past its prime.

Originally posted by hokka
Could Garage Band being a actual "Band"? as in a bracelet? the new miniPod as a bracelet? Did anybody read the Sherlock Holmes story "The Adventure of the Speckled Band"? Maybe Garage Band will turn out to be what Sherlock Holmes discovered that band to be. Starting in 12 hours, we'll know, and we won't have to play Sherlock ourselves any more. Until the next day, when we start all over again.

elgruga
Jan 5, 2004, 10:56 PM
Where are these DarkBlud guys playing next?

can you get me on the guest list?

Pirate_Will
Jan 5, 2004, 11:00 PM
but,

What if mac thought about breaking into its own internet only record company? Bear with me please. OK there are a LOT of really bad bands on garageband and alike. but apple could use marketing information from the reviews of a site like that (it is my understanding that such info is pricey). AND maybe they might get a couple of decent bands.

IF (big if) they did get a few decent ones, they could still sell their music tracks at 0.99c a pop (they will make a LOT more profit out of this 99 cents than, say well any signed band). Advertise the artist themselves (cuts out an expensive middleman), and if it flops, the only thing they have lost is a bit of webspace.

Seemed fairly reasonable to me. Particularly if a musician had to subscribe to such a service. Do you have any friends who want to be famous musicians? I recon the ones i know would be willing to fork out as much as 10 or $20 a quarter for a shot at fame.

iomar
Jan 5, 2004, 11:56 PM
Well, I just bought Apple Server over the holidays. I hope I can get a free upgrade if there is going to be new version of the server software.

Squire
Jan 6, 2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Pirate_Will
but,

What if mac thought about breaking into its own internet only record company? Bear with me please. OK there are a LOT of really bad bands on garageband and alike. but apple could use marketing information from the reviews of a site like that (it is my understanding that such info is pricey). AND maybe they might get a couple of decent bands.

Fair enough. ;)

Possible... with some sort of filtering system in place. Whether or not Garage Band is part of this is still uncertain. We won't see every wannabe on sale in the iTunes Music Store, though.

Squire

elgruga
Jan 6, 2004, 12:08 AM
The notion of an Apple music biz is a good one.

Bands post product - consumers buy it.

No hassle, no record company. It would have to be separate from ITMS.
PR would be up to the bands themselves.

Ad agencies would take over the role of publicising bands from the record companies. Slowly the record co.'s would die out and be replaced by a new paradigm of music.

I dont know if this is what Garageband is about though. Shouldnt think so.

wankle
Jan 6, 2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by iomar
Well, I just bought Apple Server over the holidays. I hope I can get a free upgrade if there is going to be new version of the server software.

Panther Server is going to be around until there is a OS X 10.4... so at the very least, another year. You don't have anything to worry about.

aafuss1
Jan 6, 2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
AppleWorks was the competitor to MS Works, not MS Office. But I agree it is way past its prime.

Did anybody read the Sherlock Holmes story "The Adventure of the Speckled Band"? Maybe Garage Band will turn out to be what Sherlock Holmes discovered that band to be. Starting in 12 hours, we'll know, and we won't have to play Sherlock ourselves any more. Until the next day, when we start all over again.

Microsoft Works was on the Mac from 1986-1994. Actually, I'd like to see a non education/academic version of Appleworks for Windows-so overseas users can get a copy. But not at the expo. MS will eventually release a new version after the announcement. Microsoft Works appears in line for v 8 in July (as v 7.0 was out in July 2002, and I have v 4/4.5/5/6/7 of it). Version 8-I'd expect a presentation module (based on Photo Story LE?) and better drawing tools. Appleworks is still in its 6.x series and lacks a portfolio (integrate with iPhoto)-I'd like major improvements and new features, even enough to justify a new name for it and a prenstation mode based on Keynote. And a my projects organiser the integrates with iCal. Apple should release a 'iPhoto Story'-like MS Plus! DME Photo Story (a simple .wmv based presentation program).

ryaxnb
Jan 6, 2004, 01:46 AM

Uh, if you want a PDA, then how about you buy one? Hello? Palm's are fine PDAs.

Trowaman
Jan 6, 2004, 01:51 AM
okay, we got the XServes and Garage Band taken care of, good. iPod market, too much to even speculate on with stuff ranging from price fluctuations to miniPods and colors.

This still leave the following stuff with no info:

G5 Power Mac speed boosts
iWrite and Apple Office
20th anniversary Mac
and the mystery item (iBox? Tablet? other?)

Oh well, T minus 9 hours 10 minutes until our dreams are realized (or burned :eek: ) May the day rule . . .

ryaxnb
Jan 6, 2004, 01:57 AM
MAc[sic, and sic] not in the PDA Busuness? Are you kidding me they started it with the Newton!
... And then got out of it in 1998, right?

I don't think so. I would probably rather use a Palm.

Then what's with the Napster player, the Dell, the Gateway, the possible upcoming MS ones, the Creative ones, etc.?
And the PDA biz isn't going great.

Why is there pda functionality in the IPOD?
Because it's handy, duh.

Why did Jobs want to buy Palm? Why is INKWELL in the OS
Got me there, but if you want APPL to buy Palm, how about using a Palm?
, Why is Ical and Address book being developed so feverishly,
Let's make something clear. iCal and iContact (aka. Address Book) are desktop apps, not PDA apps. You'd probably need a rewrite to get it on a PDA.
and whyis there ISYNC?
To sync with third-party devices, and .Mac.
Looking at Palm, the need isn't large.

They're not now, anyway.

scornn
Jan 6, 2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Dave K

My bet is superbowl it was 20 years ago this superbowl that we 1st met with "big brother" and the mac was released

logoi
Jan 6, 2004, 08:25 AM
http://www.ppcnerds.org bets on 2.4 Ghz dual Xserve and G5 upgrades in few days, audio editing/recording tool and mini-iPod

scornn
Jan 6, 2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by elgruga
Where are these DarkBlud guys playing next?

can you get me on the guest list?

darkblud.com is avalble
what smartass can pass that up

Soculese
Jan 7, 2004, 12:10 PM
OK, so I sat at my desk in work yesterday watching the Keynote Stream for the audio since the vidoe was BAD. Got to finally see the iPod Mini on the website. My wheels turned on this for a while but now I kind of like them. If I did not already have a 10 Gigger myself I would get one. What I am wondering is if there is any sort of promo in the works. Since they are teaming with Pepsi, my drink of choice(However with my bad luck I won't win a single song as 1:3 somehow is too stiff for me) and giving away a boatload of songs I was wondering what type of Promo they will snag for the iPod Mini. The one thing I can think of is "get a Mini with a Mini" type of thing with the Mini Cooper. Just the same as they did with the VW and Pods United. Any thoughts? of is this something that is just way out there. My only problem with them is that they did not stick to the color scheme of the commercials for the iPod. I think that would have been cool, but in the end these seem like cool little gadgets. My prediction is a Mini promotion with a tag line of "Buy a Mini get a Mini free" or "Get a Mini with a Mini" with the Mini Cooper sometime in the future.

Stan