Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
Evernote: Not able to edit notes inside iPhone.

Omnifocus: Expensive and need to have MobileMe (or similar) for syncing and must buy the desktop application ($100+Mobileme subscription).

Zenbe Lists: Syncing, but through their website. More focused on sharing my Lists - which is the last thing most of us do with our To Do lists.

iProcrastinate: No syncing.

Things: No syncing.

To Do (Erica Sadun): Almost too basic but no syncing.

You Note: Still a sleeper hit but has no syncing (good but with syncing it could be a top tier free app if it werent so buggy).

Everything else: No syncing.

So to succeed in a solid To Do App, it must have a flawless syncing system, stable, and focused on GTD not random stuff like deciphering words from graffiti.

Any suggestions?

I'm sticking to Notes until I have the best solution.

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
I wouldn't say that notes is a solution either.
The best you can do with notes is e-mail them to yourself.

But the others only offer useless features or unsyncability (new word, i just created it).

Not saying I like notes by any means - i'm just waiting for a new solution.

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Evernote: Not able to edit notes inside iPhone.

Omnifocus: Expensive and need to have MobileMe (or similar) for syncing and must buy the desktop application ($100+Mobileme subscription).

Zenbe Lists: Syncing, but through their website. More focused on sharing my Lists - which is the last thing most of us do with our To Do lists.

iProcrastinate: No syncing.

Things: No syncing.

To Do (Erica Sadun): Almost too basic but no syncing.

You Note: Still a sleeper hit but has no syncing (good but with syncing it could be a top tier free app if it werent so buggy).

Everything else: No syncing.

So to succeed in a solid To Do App, it must have a flawless syncing system, stable, and focused on GTD not random stuff like deciphering words from graffiti.

Any suggestions?

I'm sticking to Notes until I have the best solution.

According to the developer, syncing is coming soon to "Things". I really like this app and I also recently got YouNote which is nice as well.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
What do you need the syncing for? I personally have my iPhone wherever I go, so whenever I need my to-do list, there it is, no need to access the list from computer. And like all apps its data gets backed up when I sync the device.

I personally use Outliner, since it was relatively cheap and allows infinitely nested tasks, where if you check off the nested tasks it shows how complete the parent-task is.

TonyL08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
ToDo by Appigo syncs with Toodledo and Remember the Milk. It was just updated today to support recurring tasks and is supposedly going to offer contexts and stuff like that soon.

I've been using it and Toodledo (free) for a week or so now and it's pretty nice.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
ToDo by Appigo syncs with Toodledo and Remember the Milk. It was just updated today to support recurring tasks and is supposedly going to offer contexts and stuff like that soon.

I've been using it and Toodledo (free) for a week or so now and it's pretty nice.

I'm using ToDo by Appigo as well. I really like it, and the recurring tasks make it just about perfect for me.

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
The only thing about remember the milk and toodledo is that they are web-based, and another account to add to the growing accounts - simply for a suitable "To-Do" list.

The reason for syncing: Easy. So that you can get more complex actions for big projects down that would be rather tedious on the iphone's keyboard.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
For now I've been using Zenbe for day to daily task creation at work. Their online website is quick for entering everything I have to do. New list, and literally type task, return, type task, return, and repeat until you have your entire list. But it's as basic as that. Don't think I'd ever share the list.

What put me off from the everything was Apple's limitation of not allowing software to run in the background, so unless you have the app open, no way they can alert you of a task at hand. Only thing close was ReQall, with it's online account being able to send you e-mail or SMS as a reminder. But right now the service is way too slow.

ToDo's update does look nice. I haven't checked Toodledo and Remember the Milk that it can sync with if there's any way those can send a reminder to e-mail or SMS.

One thing is I also have a PC, some Task apps don't have a PC desktop version.

TonyL08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
The only thing about remember the milk and toodledo is that they are web-based, and another account to add to the growing accounts - simply for a suitable "To-Do" list.

The reason for syncing: Easy. So that you can get more complex actions for big projects down that would be rather tedious on the iphone's keyboard.

True, last week I thought I was being a bit silly putting my todo list on the web, but this week I'm quite in love with it. I use multiple computers and dual boot into Vista fairly often. My list is always right there with a firefox extension. When I'm away from the computer I have the phone copy. All are the same all the time.

Otherwise, I really like Things. I like the way it looks and thinks. If it sync'd I'd likely be using it now, but they're losing me to Todo and Toodledo. Especially with Vista in the equation.

TonySwartz

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2004

I'd disagree that you're simply adding another account with RTM - the online access is the only reason I use it over a desktop app like Things or Omni. I'd rather add another online account to my list of many than be stuck using my to-do list on my phone and home computer only. What about work, school, and other computers where you'd like your lists?

I'm using Remember the Milk right now for home/work/school/shopping lists/call lists/email reminders/etc., which is perfect. If I do not have my computer and want to access it on my phone, they have a web app to do so (i.rememberthemilk.com). If I'm at another computer (work, etc.) and want my tasks, I can pull up the RTM website and add/edit/view tasks from the website - no special software or OS required. You can also set it up so you can view your tasks within iCal if you'd like.

I'm waiting for the native iPhone app to be released by RTM. Once that app comes out, I'll be in "to-do heaven." (I know Appigo's app works with it, but it isn't perfect).

blueprint1983

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Missouri
I bought Omnifocus mobile last night, still getting used to it, but I don't plan on getting the desktop version nor do I plan editing the To-Do lists outside of the iphone.

Trade-off, yes, but at least I know it's one of the hands down best to-do apps out there.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i have to say that i am MORE than happy with YOU NOTE!! i cant believe it's free, and has sooo many neat options on it! and you combine different media in one note..

They did say that they were also working ona way to email notes and send reminders to you.. if they did that, it would make it hands down the BEST to do list for myself!

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
I've been using Zenbe and think it works quite nicely. I have a Fluid app of it sitting in my menu bar, though it would be nice if it scaled down a little better so it isn't a huge page when it opens, but overall it has been a nice solution so far.

I also use Evernote, and expect it will be one of the first to get to must have status if their update schedule for the desktop app carries over to the iPhone. We're decorating the house at the minute and it has been awesome for taking snaps of things we see as ideas and having them auomatically synced and organised into a list on my laptop when I get home.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I'm using the same setup and I completely agree. After using Easytask and having all my todo's vanish out of nowhere I decided I NEEDED a prog that had good sync capabilities and this IS the end all (without having to spend a fortune). The only thing I wished it had were alerts/reminders for your tasks.

I'm using ToDo by Appigo as well. I really like it, and the recurring tasks make it just about perfect for me.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
ya know what though, the thing with You Note is that when you make a list, it only shows 4 or 5 lines of it and you have to scroll, THAT is getting annoying. I clikc the EDIT function just to see the whole screen

IFBB Pro

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Have any of your tried iDO? I downloaded it last night and i can't get the damn software to sync with my Outlook Tasks. :confused:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Have any of your tried iDO? I downloaded it last night and i can't get the damn software to sync with my Outlook Tasks. :confused:

I bought it last night as well, I think after I read your post. I don't have outlook so I can't help you.

I seriously like the To Do List on this app. The developer put in allot of time in this app and for $12.99 it's well worth the money.

IFBB Pro

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Is there any way i can copy and paste data into my iPhone "notes". Also how do i remove an Application from my iPhone? I'm frustrated with "iDo" not syncing with my Outlook Tasks..so i'm going to remove it.

Tks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.