PDA

View Full Version : like to collect crap? check out this woman!!

mrjamin
Jan 5, 2004, 06:52 PM
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=830487

check that out!! warning: loadsa profanities

Macmaniac
Jan 5, 2004, 07:02 PM
OMG talk about a pack rat!

latergator116
Jan 5, 2004, 07:07 PM
My dad's friend had a house like that and he got evicted because it was deemed a "fire hazard".

eyelikeart
Jan 5, 2004, 07:37 PM
that's a total fire hazard... :rolleyes:

I can only imagine the rodents or bugs that are in that dump...

Mr. Anderson
Jan 5, 2004, 07:39 PM
that's truly very scary....:confused: :eek:

And quite sad....

D

jefhatfield
Jan 5, 2004, 08:19 PM
i had a friend whose mother had alzheimer's and she didn't realize what she was doing and packed everything up like that...she got into some sort of dementia beyond your basic senility

they thought she was just thrifty or a packrat but then they did a scan on her brain and realized she was sick for well over a decade...in the meantime, she was teased a lot and people refused to believe she had a medical illness

wdlove
Jan 5, 2004, 08:37 PM
By all the boxes it like she was moving. Her collecting definitely got away from her. I can't really criticize too much, my wife and I do a lot of collecting also.

crazytom
Jan 5, 2004, 10:38 PM
I thought I had a lot of junk...

How can anyone enjoy their 'junk' when it's all packed in boxes? Is it just the knowledge of owning something? or just part of 'the disease'?

Awimoway
Jan 5, 2004, 11:20 PM
Reminds me of my in-laws... :rolleyes:

revenuee
Jan 5, 2004, 11:35 PM
Oh man ... this is so going to be me when i move out and live on my own ... LOL

poopyhead
Jan 5, 2004, 11:45 PM
If that was my kid, I'd kill him and file him away in various Xerox boxes and birdseed jars so that he would never be able to escape the hell I had created and he had so foolishly criticised. (insert evil laughter here)

QCassidy352
Jan 6, 2004, 12:02 AM
oh man, I can't describe how depressed that just made me. That's soooo sad... poor woman... poor son. This is way beyond normal but severe pack rat behavior... she really needs professional help and I hope she gets it, but it doesn't seem too likely.

Greenpants
Jan 6, 2004, 12:33 AM
There's some pretty funny stories to be read on the SA forums.

Awimoway
Jan 6, 2004, 03:51 AM
I don't know if anyone will take this seriously, but I mean it in earnest...

The interesting thing about these pics is that there is actually a modicum of neatness to the hoarding. Most things are neatly folded, sorted, and stacked. Sure, there is waaaayyy too freaking much of it. But the aisles between boxes are neatly delineated, the piles are straight, the collections of like things are neatly arranged. It's clean. There's not hair and trash and dirty wrappers everywhere. It's almost like a double personality: clean freak/organization freak meets pack rat. Weird.

vollspacken
Jan 6, 2004, 07:38 AM
yeah, I had found that thread a couple of weeks ago and thought about posting it here, but I thought it was too sad and too disturbing :(

my dad seems to turn into a packrat as he gets older, too... aaarrrggghhh

the same guy that gave me his 2Ghz PIII for X-mas (hmmm, is there a connection between PCs and packrats??? just look at the crazy woman's desk... :eek: )

vSpacken

crenz
Jan 6, 2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Awimoway
It's almost like a double personality: clean freak/organization freak meets pack rat. Weird.

There's no contradiction here, actually. You can be orderly with lots of stuff, or messy with little stuff. The main problem is the refusal of letting go. I once went to a house like that, with the same symptoms: House stuffed to the brim (including empty glass bottles, old newspapers), and all the windows covered. It was really shocking and sad.

rueyeet
Jan 6, 2004, 10:19 AM
Wow. That makes my parents look normal by comparison. They actually still have nice wide paths through their piles, which only reach to about waist height in most cases. :o

I hope they never die, not the least because I'm severely dreading cleaning out the house. And hopefully I can supress the urge to add any significant quantity of their stuff to my own piles when they do....

Seriously, you have no idea how much I was looking forward to that rumored "Piles" feature of OS X. :D

jefhatfield
Jan 6, 2004, 04:17 PM
for several years, before i went back to college just after my divorce, i lived with my grandmother and she had lots of junk and there were paths of boxes i had to go thru...it was a hangout pad for me and my friends and they all loved it there

i made the best of it and got creative and put up ads and stickers on the boxes and black fish netting on the ceiling and hung up my guitar collection on the walls...it looked like the munster house...a rock and roll munster house:p