PDA

View Full Version : pete wasn't a bad ball player

jefhatfield
Jan 5, 2004, 08:03 PM
after seeing cocaine sniffing stock brokers, las vegas gaming addicts, and mba school...i certainly don't think pete rose is some sort of evil person

where some baseball players get arrested for beating their wives or girlfriends to a pulp, beating up the press, or getting in trouble with the law but being forgiven time and time again, i don't see pete rose as some sort of evil baseball player...but he isn't a saint either so i am not trying to cannonize him in the church...but that's not the issue here, is it?

he is the greatest player of modern times and yes, he probably does have a gambling addiction or had one then...i think it was great that he admitted to his problem...maybe now he can seek help if he hasn't already

put the friggin' dude into the hall of fame already and stop being so sensitive and judgemental

gwuMACaddict
Jan 5, 2004, 08:36 PM
pete wasn't a bad ball player... he was a GREAT ball player

just stooooopid

but a GREAT player

bousozoku
Jan 5, 2004, 10:27 PM
He was a great ballplayer and there were plenty more who gambled but weren't caught.

You have to wonder how many commissioners won a drink or a dinner betting on games. :rolleyes:

Awimoway
Jan 5, 2004, 10:30 PM
I don't know how he'll ever be let back in to manage a team, though, after admitting that he bet on his team. He says he's doing this to get back in the game, that he doesn't care about the Hall of Fame. But I think he'll get the opposite: HoF, but no manager positions.

MacNut
Jan 5, 2004, 10:46 PM
The only reason he came clear now is because he needs money and wants to manage again, yes he is a great player, one of the all time greatest players to play the game, but he cheated by betting on his own team. Yes he should be allowed into the hall of fame but no he should not be allowed to manage or be a part of the game ever again.

pseudobrit
Jan 5, 2004, 11:45 PM
OJ cut off his wife's head. Still a hall of famer, though.

Sayhey
Jan 6, 2004, 01:09 AM
There are a lot of disreputable people in the Hall of Fame. It is the height of hypocrisy to not let Rose (and I will repeat from the other thread on this - Shoeless Joe Jackson) into the Hall when racists like Cap Anson, maniacs like Ty Cobb, drunks and scoundrels of all sorts are included. The Hall is not for saints; it is for great baseball players. Rose certainly qualifies. However, as I've already said, he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a position where he can influence the outcome of a game. If the Reds want him as some kind of public relations spokesman, that would be fine, but never a manager or coach or any such position again.

Waluigi
Jan 6, 2004, 03:22 AM
I've always been fascinated with the Pete Rose saga. I personally would let him back into baseball completely with no strings attached. He made a very good case when he said he was addicted to gambleing the same way other players were addicted to drugs. He has served way more then his fair share of time for his crime, and also had to overcome it all by himself unlike the coke heads who get treatment. Pete Rose is a standup guy who made some big mistakes a long time ago. It's time to forgive, not forget, but forgive. Let the all-time leader in Hits back on the field, and teach other players his skills.

But, thats just me.

There is a lot of pressure of Bud Selig to make a decision one way or another. Rose is only eligable to be elected to the HoF by the in 2005 and 2006, then the veterens committie would be in charge of deciding. His best chance to make the HoF is with the writers. Selig has to allow him to be eligable for those years, but he won't. I really don't like Selig, and I hope he breaks down and resigns soon. But, most likely Pete Rose will wind up in the Hall of Fame when he is either too old to even walk, or is dead. I doubt he will ever be allowed to do anything with MLB besides that though.

--Waluigi