Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lynnb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I have made several small sites for business use. Problem I am running into is that apparently the SEs are not indexing the sites made up in iWeb.

Someone suggested that the iWeb is inherently deficient as the navigation code is written in Javascript that many engines cant or wont read. The solution offered was to delete the navigation that iWeb made, and create my own. I did this, but still didn't see any results.

Has anyone heard of a solution to this that is workable.

Otherwise, I will have to go with another wysiwig program. Anyone know of a program that is easy to use as iWeb without the SE difficulties. BTW, I am adding description and keyword metatags.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If you made a change to the navigation, it could take several weeks before you see any changes in the search engine indexing. That stuff takes a while.

lynnb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks. I made the changes about 5 weeks ago though and still no luck.

I am wondering if those who made sites with iWeb ever tried to use Google and run a search for whats on the site,,, and had success in getting it listed.

lynnb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the input. I figured something was not quite right. I have been adding metatags as well to the sites, but am doing it after I save the data to a folder on my desktop.

Unfortunately, every time I make a change, allsite files get overwritten on my desktop, and there goes all of my metatags for each page. Its a drag to say the least.

It was recommended that Rapidweaver was another wysiwyg program similar to iWeb but without these major drawbacks. Any idea if this program alleviates the metatag and navigational issues that affects iWeb?

Giovannino

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
The problem is that the iWeb navigation bar/menu is Javascript rendering and search engines can't read it. Thus they don't see what pages are part of your website.

Build your own Navigation menu. You will find more info on how to do that and go about submitting your website to google on this page here:

http://iwebfaq.org/site/iWeb_Google.html

Regards,
Giovannino

lynnb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for your input.

As mentioned in my first post, I had already removed the iWeb navigation and inserted my own.

This did not help, and I saw no results after about 6 weeks of doing so.

My solution was to go with Rapidweaver instead. Hate to do it.

iWeb appears to be a good starter program, but is lacking in several areas for me. The SE is one area of importance.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
If you have even a tiny wee bit knowledge of what HTML looks like.... I would strongly recommend Dreamweaver!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.