PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Buzzing sound

Catch Them
Aug 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have a 2.8 Eightcore standard with the 8800 and BTO 500GB HDD (the only drive present) and i have only used this machine seldom since ive been off site for work and travel and had only this machine since June 30th 2008

I took the machine out of the storage in my home and set it up and notice it started making a really LOUD BAD humming sound, it seems to be coming from the top of the case and doesnt seem to be coming from the PSU more around the optical bay area.
I opened it up and moved the machine then it stopped but once i moved away it did it again.
i tried several outlets, UPS' and Surge Protectors etc etc to no avail.

hmmm..

and this machine hasnt been stressed at all mainly a few photoshop sessions and some aperture but thats about it.
any advice or tips?
thanks!

nanofrog
Aug 6, 2008, 01:19 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but did you happen to leave a CD/DVD disk in the optical drive?

Catch Them
Aug 6, 2008, 01:26 AM
nope nothing, never used the optical discs...well except when i first opened it last month to run a hardware test before actually using it but that has since been removed.

im thinking it might need to tighten the harddrive screws...but they alreadyhave dampers on them.

hm.

Pixellated
Aug 6, 2008, 01:45 AM
Take it to the store and say you've got a buzzing HD/PSU :)

Catch Them
Aug 6, 2008, 02:42 AM
thanks for the replies and suggestions.

though the nearest store is 1 1/2 hours away, so im not entirely sure what to do.

its here and there, if i take the panel off it stops for a while but when i snap it back on it comes in and out, if i tilt it, it stops.

Mr.Noisy
Aug 6, 2008, 03:59 AM
thanks for the replies and suggestions.

though the nearest store is 1 1/2 hours away, so im not entirely sure what to do.

its here and there, if i take the panel off it stops for a while but when i snap it back on it comes in and out, if i tilt it, it stops.

Sounds daft but make sure the hard drive is secure in the carrier, then make sure you pushed it in good an tight before securing the side panel. If you got the MP on a hard surface use an old foam mouse mat cut in half under the legs, see if the humming/vibration carries on then, if your 1.5 hrs from the closest store, might as well try and eliminate all causes of vibration ;) (try taking out the other carriers, a HDD holding screw may be loose) if it's around the optical bay area, your HDD bay 1 is in that area.

nanofrog
Aug 6, 2008, 08:27 AM
Sounds daft but make sure the hard drive is secure in the carrier, then make sure you pushed it in good an tight before securing the side panel. If you got the MP on a hard surface use an old foam mouse mat cut in half under the legs, see if the humming/vibration carries on then, if your 1.5 hrs from the closest store, might as well try and eliminate all causes of vibration ;) (try taking out the other carriers, a HDD holding screw may be loose) if it's around the optical bay area, your HDD bay 1 is in that area.

This is a good suggestion. From the OP, I had the impression that the noise was originating from the optical drive motor. Now it seems to be more from drive bay 1.

There was another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=413163&highlight=drive+bay+noise) that dealt with this. Take a look. :)