PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro power supply 1 goes up to 78c right out of sleep

jjahshik32
Aug 6, 2008, 03:28 AM
Ok, I wasnt so worried but how can this be possible..?? Once my mac pro wakes from sleep and I look at the istat pro.. the powersupply 1 is at 78c!

Should I go take it to the genius and show him the istat pro or will he look at me like i'm crazy?

jjahshik32
Aug 6, 2008, 03:37 AM
After being on for a few minutes its down to the usual 68c.. hmm why would the power supply go up in temperature when its asleep?!?

Would the genius warrant me an exchange just for showing something off a 3rd party app?

Mr.Noisy
Aug 6, 2008, 03:51 AM
An I thought mine were hot at power supp 1 at 45c & power supp 2 at 47c :)

jjahshik32
Aug 6, 2008, 03:58 AM
An I thought mine were hot at power supp 1 at 45c & power supp 2 at 47c :)

Just curious when did you purchase your mac pro?

Mr.Noisy
Aug 6, 2008, 04:08 AM
Just curious when did you purchase your mac pro?

This MP (my 2nd) in June, but it's in the UK (usually cold & wet) and i now make an effort to turn it off often overnight, but after leaving it on all day, long photoshop sessions and video encoding the power supplies dont's get over 50c, so it's a pretty cool beastie all round :cool:

jjahshik32
Aug 6, 2008, 04:18 AM
This MP (my 2nd) in June, but it's in the UK (usually cold & wet) and i now make an effort to turn it off often overnight, but after leaving it on all day, long photoshop sessions and video encoding the power supplies dont's get over 50c, so it's a pretty cool beastie all round :cool:

What was wrong with your first one??

I still dont understand the temperature readings.. I've touched the mac pro where the power supply is located and its very cool to touch.

And turning on the mac pro from when it has been totally off the istat pro still shows high readings of at least 60c... maybe its just the new type of psu thats not compatible with istat pro?

Mr.Noisy
Aug 6, 2008, 04:39 AM
What was wrong with your first one??

I still dont understand the temperature readings.. I've touched the mac pro where the power supply is located and its very cool to touch.

And turning on the mac pro from when it has been totally off the istat pro still shows high readings of at least 60c... maybe its just the new type of psu thats not compatible with istat pro?

First one nearly burnt my house down because the power supplies got too hot :eek:

No really the first one i bought back in May 2007, is still a beautiful wee beastie,runs cool and quiet use it for music/video stoarge, general internet/email stuff, this ones my main work horse, photography/video stuff, and it's great at that, but will be traded in against a Nehalem mac pro running snow leopard and Photoshop CS4 (when apple get there),
Don't worry about the temps as long as it's working ok, no Kernel panics your all right ;)