Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Rio today announced a new 4GB version of their Rio Nitrus MP3 player.

The previous version of the Rio Nitrus was a $219 1.5GB device based on Cornice's previous 1.5GB mini hard drive.

The 4GB version is based on the previous design and will have an estimated U.S. street price of $249. No indication is given as to the hard drive technology used in the new version, but readers will note that Cornice just announced a 2.0GB version of their storage device.

Apple has been widely rumored to introduce new mini-iPods.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, if they don't announce mini-pods, these new ones will have some serious competition to offer.

It brings up that old question of whether innovation and market leadership can be sustained over time......

D

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
So we are now aware that both 2GB and 4GB mini-hard drives, in fact, exist. This is very interesting, indeed.

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Rio can't even count by twos

If you go to RIOaudio.com and look at the 1.5 GB Nitrus, you will see this:
"*1 GB equals 1,000,000,000 bytes" - sadly, Rio does not even know how many bytes are in a gigabyte.

NoVi

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2003
Wow, Rio is spoiling the Apple party..Steve Jobs will not be amused.

The Nitrus looks nice BTW.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
$250 seems pretty steep for 4gig, especially since I can get a 10 gig iPod for $299.

...especially if Apple refreshs the iPod line to make the 20 gig the low end at $299....

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Well, if they don't announce mini-pods, these new ones will have some serious competition to offer.

Depends on how different the 'street price' is from the retail. At $249 - i'd rather spend another $50 and get an iPod with 250% the capacity, Apple engineering, and iTMS compatability.

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Rio is trying to steal second base when their down by 10 runs. Go right ahead but your still going to lose.

MacWorld announcements will be the topic of discussion in all my classes today.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Re: Rio can't even count by twos

Originally posted by amichalo
If you go to RIOaudio.com and look at the 1.5 GB Nitrus, you will see this:
"*1 GB equals 1,000,000,000 bytes" - sadly, Rio does not even know how many bytes are in a gigabyte.

This is standard in the hard drive business. Apple say the same about the iPod.

From the iPod Tech specs page " (2) 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less."

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
i like the black shell it has. that being said, keeping with the "think different" mantra, i dont think we'll see mini black ipods despite their probable demand.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Although I think Rio is a nice company, I don't think they will last long against the iPod if they are trying to compete with it. The Nitrus is a complete rip-off, and pretty much always has been.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I'd venture a guess that we're likely to see both a 2 and 4GB Mini-Pod, probably at $100-150 and $200-250 respectively. I'd then have to assume that these will be somehow different, either in overall appearance or features, to set them apart from the full iPods. I would guess that the 10GB may become a 15, perhaps the 20 to a 30, and 40 to 60? All at their current price-points. There it is, my "official" guess ;)

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
This shows that a $ 99 price for a HD based player is wishful thinking. Reality is sometimes not apparent at Apple-centric sites I'm afraid.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Originally posted by amichalo
Depends on how different the 'street price' is from the retail. At $249 - i'd rather spend another $50 and get an iPod with 250% the capacity, Apple engineering, and iTMS compatability.
It has 16 hour battery life, which may be enough to entice a person like myself to buy one of these instead of an iPod.

Mac loyalist? Yes, I love Apple. However, I won't buy an iPod if another product seems better. 4GB is plenty of space. Heck, 2GB is plenty of space. The average consumer doesn't need 40GB of HD space. If Apple releases a $179 2GB iPod with a decent battery life, then that would make my decision very difficult.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
no doubt about it the pods are coming to play this rio thing hmm its a name thing i think the iPod will win this one

Beowulf

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2003
I think that this is just Rio's 15 minutes of fame. As soon as Apple releases all their new products today, the press is going to be covering anything Apple related. Not to be an Apple zealot, but since Apple has #1 MP3 player marketshare any new music-related products they release are going to be talked about more than any Rio product.

-rtc.

PS: I think it's humorous that Rio releases a low-capacity MP3 player the day Apple is rumored to release one of their own;)

mathematician

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Re: Re: Rio can't even count by twos

Originally posted by robbieduncan
This is standard in the hard drive business. Apple say the same about the iPod.

From the iPod Tech specs page " (2) 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less."

The standard is as follows:

1kB = 1000 Bytes
1KB = 1024 Bytes

So maybe it should be:

1mB = 10^6 Bytes
1MB = 2^20 Bytes = 1024 KB
1gB = 10^9 Bytes
1GB = 2^30 Bytes

See http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?prefix

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Originally posted by Abstract
4GB is plenty of space. Heck, 2GB is plenty of space. The average consumer doesn't need 40GB of HD space.

I disagree with the average consumer being fine with 2GB of space. I would say I have an average music collection and it takes up 8 GB of space. Could I pare it down? Sure, but cutting it down to by 6 GB would be difficult. I would also be more frustrated at having to pick and choose which music I wanted to have stored much more so than worring about the battery. Again, from an average consumer perspective, I think the iPod battery isn't too bad. I listen to my iPod driving to and from work (using an iTrip) and occassionaly while at work (about 3 hours total/day). I can make it two days w/o re-charging. I charge every night just in case.

Do I wish the battery lasted longer - yes. Would I prefer longer battery over less storage - no way, not how I actually use it.

I think this Reo thing is no news to the iPod. I hope Apple introduces a 4GB mini-iPod right at $199. I don't see how it could run $249 if the 15GB is supposed to be the low end at $299. It would have to be one helluva different form factor to justify the price IMHO.

cripdyke

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
@ http://www.powermax.com

you can get a 5gb ipod right now for $179

and

a 10gb ipod right now for $199

when the 10gb low-end 3g ipod is replaced w/ a 15 or 20 (perhaps today) powermax and sites like it will be selling the 10gb 3g ipods for the same price as rio's 4gb player.

pretty sad, really. I just don't see how it's a worthwhile or attractive product, even w/ a 16 vs. 10 hour battery (which really mean 11 vs. 7, but still.....)

Porcelain

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Bristol, England
I think $149 is a reasonable price. Apple can do it. Rio always add a huge mark up to their price or their supplies sell them expensive hardware.

Well we will all find out soon :):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.