PDA

View Full Version : Apprx. Deposit for an iPhone (New AT&T customer ; no credit history)

azharc
Aug 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hey guys,

I'm heading to the US as an Intl. Student (NYC!) and was just wondering what the deposit would be like if I wanted a new connection with AT&T + iPhone,

and if there's any way to avoid the deposit.

Will my parent's credit report here from India eliminate the need for a deposit?

Inukami
Aug 6, 2008, 01:25 PM
I don't even know if you can buy one.

They ask for USA government ID when you go to buy an iPhone, do you have one?

gdeputy
Aug 6, 2008, 01:25 PM
No, it will not.

Without credit your looking at anywhere from 200 to 1000 dollars down.

SFStateStudent
Aug 6, 2008, 01:26 PM
It might, I'm pretty sure it's a case by case basis (You might be able to set-up a Family Plan in India, since they are releasing the 3G iPhone on the 22nd or there abouts!). Good luck either way...

Burton8219
Aug 6, 2008, 01:27 PM
You will most likely have to pay a pretty good deal of money for the deposit, but I could be wrong since I'm still a minor and only have a CC under my mom's name. Same goes for my phone. I don't know if AT&T will take your parent's credit report because I assume your parents still live in India and are not US citizens.

Inukami
Aug 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
No, it will not.

Without credit your looking at anywhere from 200 to 1000 dollars down.

Yeah gdeputy is correct, i tried to use my debit card and my account had no history, they asked for a $500 deposit. I had $2,000 which was more than enough but they still asked for one so i had to use my parent's credit card.

galactic732
Aug 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
it's going to be about 400-500 bucks.

because a) you have no United States credit history and b) you need a social security # when you open the account, not having one defaults you to the highest amount anyways.

might want to look into getting dual citizenship

gdeputy
Aug 6, 2008, 01:31 PM
On a side note, you can grab a credit card for those with NO credit (limit will probably be around 200 dollars) if you spend like 150 on it and pay it in FULL or the first month (you'll want to anyways, you'll get hit with like 25+%APR) your credit will be pretty high, and you should be able to grab the phone with no deposit.

This would mean waiting at least a month and a half to get the phone, but like mentioned above, I believe you'll need ID to begin with, so you may be waiting anyways.

The deposit is for those who have NO credit or POOR credit. If you have SOME credit that is GOOD, you should be set.

EDIT: ^ didn't know about the SSN deal, that may be true. To be honest your best bet is to call ATT.

shinenjk
Aug 6, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'm heading to the US as an Intl. Student (NYC!) and was just wondering what the deposit would be like if I wanted a new connection with AT&T + iPhone,

Will my parent's credit report here from India eliminate the need for a deposit?

I'm not even sure if a deposit's even needed because they don't do a credit check. I created a new account with AT&T and all they asked for was a driver's license. Maybe bring your passport and use that as your ID and you might be able to get one.

EDIT: sorry they also ask you for your social security number which lets them know your credit history so my original post was wrong. Call Apple or AT&T and see what they say. Most likely a deposit will be required but you'll get that back at the end so it's probably not a big deal as long as it's not outrageously expensive.

Inukami
Aug 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not even sure if a deposit's even needed because they don't do a credit check. I created a new account with AT&T and all they asked for was a driver's license. Maybe bring your passport and use that as your ID and you might be able to get one.

EDIT: sorry they also ask you for your social security number also which basically lets them know your credit so my original post was wrong. Call Apple or AT&T and see what they say.

I think that could be true with AT&T, when they asked me for a $500 deposit they said i could go to AT&T because they didn't do credit check.

SFStateStudent
Aug 6, 2008, 01:36 PM
Have your parents establish an account with AirTel in India, then add you to the account as being approved to purchase the iPhone and you can pick up your iPhone here in the US...:cool:

apheonixboy
Aug 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
I dunno if AT&T is getting random people to buy an iphone even if they have low credit or no credit history at all....

Because.... Im just 18 and I qualified for up to 5 lines, $0 deposit with a 2 year contract....

All I did was just go ask for information on it... and they ended up getting my Driver lisence and SS.... and they told me...

"Congratulations, you qualify for up to 5 lines, $0 Deposit and any plan you like..."

Is this a trick just to get more customers or did my credit go up so fast?

shinenjk
Aug 6, 2008, 01:50 PM
I dunno if AT&T is getting random people to buy an iphone even if they have low credit or no credit history at all....

Because.... Im just 18 and I qualified for up to 5 lines, $0 deposit with a 2 year contract....

All I did was just go ask for information on it... and they ended up getting my Driver lisence and SS.... and they told me...

"Congratulations, you qualify for up to 5 lines, $0 Deposit and any plan you like..."

Is this a trick just to get more customers or did my credit go up so fast?

You have no credit history (you shouldn't, if you do, someone else probably stole your SSN and used it). You should get a credit card when you turn 18 though and start building up your credit. As far as AT&T goes, they just want your money. Go for it if you think iPhone is worth it and if you can afford it.

illutionz
Aug 6, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hey guys,

Hi fellow international student-

When I first came to the US back then, I used tmobile and I had to give a $500 deposit which they returned in 1 year.

As of AT&T, I suspect you have to drop in $500 or more in deposit. I would highly suggest you ask a friend who has established credit to open an account for you. I am very sure, they have Indian Student organization in your college/university and they would gladly help you because they should've gone through the same thing before and as long as you pay the bills promptly.

I'm afraid your parents credit report from India wouldn't eliminate the need for deposit since it's not under your name anyway. ;)

If you can afford to have $500 or possibly more (up to $1000) to be held back by AT&T for 1 year, you can go ahead and do it. Otherwise, just get your friend to sign the contract and get the phone for you.

In the meantime, you should get SSN ASAP (by working in your college and get the letter of employment from them) so you can establish your credit...

Cheers

azharc
Aug 7, 2008, 05:24 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all your replies.

So basically I can either wait a month and build up credit history which I don't mind waiting for.

Or I can get my friend in the US who has credit history to buy it for me and transfer it over to me later when I can make my own AT&T account.

No way am I paying a deposit :D

jmmo20
Aug 7, 2008, 08:25 AM
it's going to be about 400-500 bucks.

because a) you have no United States credit history and b) you need a social security # when you open the account, not having one defaults you to the highest amount anyways.

might want to look into getting dual citizenship

funniest thing I've ever read in days.
Get the American nationality just so you are allowed to buy an iPhone. Jeez..

How long are you gonna be in the US?
When I moved to the UK to study, I had no credit history either. After 1 year, my bank gave me a credit card, and then I was able to get a contract with O2.

Once you have a credit card it is pretty easy, at least in the UK. I doubt it's much different in the US.

azharc
Aug 7, 2008, 09:08 AM
funniest thing I've ever read in days.
Get the American nationality just so you are allowed to buy an iPhone. Jeez..

How long are you gonna be in the US?
When I moved to the UK to study, I had no credit history either. After 1 year, my bank gave me a credit card, and then I was able to get a contract with O2.

Once you have a credit card it is pretty easy, at least in the UK. I doubt it's much different in the US.

:D

Going to be there for 4 years for a bachelor's degree.
I don't mind waiting a few months to build up credit history, but heck if there's a shorter way to get it, let me have it :cool:

Hence I'll see if anyone I know there is willing to sing the contract for me :) (illutionz's idea)

ivtecDOu
Aug 7, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hey guys,

20 ducketts

illutionz
Aug 7, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all your replies.

So basically I can either wait a month and build up credit history which I don't mind waiting for.

Or I can get my friend in the US who has credit history to buy it for me and transfer it over to me later when I can make my own AT&T account.

No way am I paying a deposit :D

FYI, building your credit will take way longer than 1 month ;)
First of all, when you just got your SSN, your choice of Credit card is very limited and mostly, you can only get CC from the bank you have checking/savings account from OR getting a student credit card (eg: Citi Student Platinum cards) with a very low limit (Max approx $1000).

When I first came here, I did not try to get my SSN right away (stupid me) and I just got it 1 year ago. In the span of 1 year, I have 3 CCs and it is only recently that my credit is decent enough that Amex accepted my application for blue cash after rejecting it twice before.