Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themagicman00

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Took my Mac Air because it was shutting down one core processor everytime I used video chatting with Skype or when I watched movies online..Video Streaming. Anyway, incially the Genius couldn't replicate the problem i Sent me home. The second time I call 800-My-apple...same problem, 3rd time I recorded the episode....I gues it was enough for a Genius to take in my notebook and replace the logics board and the fan assembly. More news to come, but what I read, this is a common problem with the video card, so if you don't use much video, it will not affect you, but if you use it to watch or chat, then this is causing the problem.

Any feedback?
BTW- this notebook is 4 months old and they did offered me a MBP.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They offered you a MBP?

And also, the video problems are not related to the Air as the Air doesn't have a dedicated GPU.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Took my Mac Air because it was shutting down one core processor everytime I used video chatting with Skype or when I watched movies online..Video Streaming. Anyway, incially the Genius couldn't replicate the problem i Sent me home. The second time I call 800-My-apple...same problem, 3rd time I recorded the episode....I gues it was enough for a Genius to take in my notebook and replace the logics board and the fan assembly. More news to come, but what I read, this is a common problem with the video card, so if you don't use much video, it will not affect you, but if you use it to watch or chat, then this is causing the problem.

Any feedback?
BTW- this notebook is 4 months old and they did offered me a MBP.
they offered you a pro? that makes no sense, u went there with an MBA you should leave with an MBA

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
they wouldn't offer me a pro or even an exchange. But I've fixed these problems myself. They actually acknologized the core shutdown but they said my system is passed the return period.

shrtmkr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
the apple
I hope you get it fixed. I am not dealing with the geniuses right now. I don't want to leave my mac there if they will give it back the way it was.

When they come up with a solution, then I'll try my chance.
Please update us with the result. I am sick of can't using skype on this mac.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
try coolbook people. best 10 bucks i spent if you want to use your air to its fullest

themagicman00

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
well, i bought a mac air, and i want a mac air. I was offered a MBP because of what ever reasons, but...i am waiting for the repairs to be completed. BTW, my intial visit was 2 weeks after i bought the notebook, i was only getting between 45-60mins of usage from a fully charged battery.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
try coolbook people. best 10 bucks i spent if you want to use your air to its fullest
agreed...still ticks me off, that I have to spend another 10 bucks so the my 2000 laptop can function...but coolbook does work...haven't had a problem with my MBA since I installed it

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
ticks me off as well. At least re-imburse as for the software. Ah well there are ways to getting back at apple but I'm not saying how :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.