Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Bit disappointed by that really. They're gonna have to make the jump from 2GHz to 3GHz very quickly now if they're going to keep to their promise made last year.

Oh, and anyone who tells me to "stop all the whining, aren't you ever happy?" ...bite me! You can't tell me your happy there wasn't an update.

...but the iPod Mini's look good...:)

edit: wait, no, no they don't...scrap that.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I agree, mini ipods( yawn) and then to have pastel colors( yawn) big deal another player hits the market. What i want to see is Neatgekko chew off his hand and eat it as he promised. bet we dont see that troll again. Steve did say G5 this year so i guess all those G5 products are not ready. garage band looks good but Imac is stale, and the G5 isnt yet the fastest personal computer. Apple has work to do in the hardware dept. Software rules Hardware well all i can say is i guess they are working on it or waiting for suckers to by those G4's.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Well the rumors were true about no new Powermacs at MWSF so i guess we wait and see what will be released in the comming weeks. We can assume no new Powerbooks till atleast March.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have to agree with the 20th anniversary thing - that and another great commercial for the superbowl.....

Can't wait to see what they come up with.

But I'm a little disappointed as well....

D :(

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Another good point Dont Hurt Me, iMacs. For the money they cost, there technology is falling further and further behind that of the PC world (go on, flame me, but it's the truth). These are not cheap computers, yet they are using one processor that only slighty faster than one of the CPU's in my 2 year old PowerMac...this is not good!

I really do hope Apple can pull something out of the bag later in the month.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Im suprised these Mini Ipods arnt cheaper why not spend another $50 and get a 15gb

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
boo

I also think that the offical b-day of the Mac Apple will release something new or updated. Hopefully a G5 iMac

VectorWarrior

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2003
Yeah, i agree with you. Utterly disappointed. I was so excited about this event and had my credit card ready to order a new powermac and possibly a new LCD monitor, but neither. From my point of view the round up of Mac World was an update to iLife (nice but not of great interest to me), new Xserves (again nice but a niche market and not my area), a smaller, overpriced iPod and a very basic music app. It's just not the massive event everyone was hyping it up to be.

Don't mean to be a grump but like i said i was all ready to buy stuff and had waited ages for this. Powermacs HAVE to be updated soon, we all know they are going to hit 3ghz in the summer and they are never going to leave them un-updated for a whole year so it'll probably be within the next few weeks but still...... And what about the LCDs, they are seriously lagging behind for the money and the styling is not up to date with current Apple designs.

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
cube!

I wanted an anniversary cube. Maybe at the end of the month! A special edition G5 cube would rock

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I mean really Powermac G5 isnt yet the fastest computer thats why those adds are gone, they were telling lies, Imac's technology has fallen so far behind the only thing its got going for it is a nice big screen you cant keep, what happened to those 3 gig G5's we were hearing about? they have been using the same Lcd screens for over 2 years. the more i think about it the more iam dissapointed. Very Glad i didnt decide to attend that thing it would have been a big let down. No anniversary mac. I guess i should be happy because if they would have done some of these things i would have only spent my money.:rolleyes:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They arent going to update the Imacs with a G5 until the Powerbooks get the G5 and thats no going to happen till summer. Why would Apple shoot themselves in the foot with a cheaper G5 Imac thats a consumer machine and have a G4 Powerbook thats a Profesional machine.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I agree with everyone here. I was so hyped up, and now I feel let down. Oh well. Anyways, Stevo kept saying Apple had tons of really cool stuff coming out this year, so I am going to be optimistic. They probably just didn't have everything ready for the expo. And as for Power Mac updates, they'll come in a few weeks, just like they did last year.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The worst thing is, you know when anything of any significance is eventually announced...it'll be months before anyone can actually get there hands on the damn things. I mean please, iPod Minis not globally available until April!?!?! WTF!?!?! :mad:

As others have said, the more I think about the whole thing the more disappointed I am...my PC friends are just gonna love this :rolleyes:

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Not suprised

I have to admit that I'm not surprised to see no G5 speed bumps. I mean, we just got the Dual 1.8 what, 2 months ago? It just seems too soon after that to expect big speed boosts to the G5. I'd even be surprised to see them by the end of the month. February seems more likely.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Steve promised 3.0 ghz by summer so lets hold him to that, hes got time to prove himself

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
well after all the years of motorola not doing anything they have a lot of ground to make up for in the hardware line if they are to catch up and get even with Wintel,Amd. G4's anyway you look at it are a laugh when you compare performance. The only G5 that is close is the top end duallies and they are still using 2 cpu's to 1 lil old Intel. when Apple can break out a single G5 machine and say its just as powerful as a Intel machine then they have caught up. Right now Hardware is in Intel's rear view. I wonder how many more years it will take before we have hardware thats on Par with Intel. the way Apple charges you would think we are there now.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I cant but wonder how many people were holding off on getting that powermac they wanted, or imac or emac or ibook and powerbook. Keynote had to be a big let down for all those people who wanted a computer for christmas but waited.:(

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Don't forget Final Cut Express, I paid $99 for FCE1 and now all I need is another $99 for 2.0 so either way i saved $100 and got a nice Powerbook in the Process

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by MacNut
They arent going to update the Imacs with a G5 until the Powerbooks get the G5 and thats no going to happen till summer. Why would Apple shoot themselves in the foot with a cheaper G5 Imac thats a consumer machine and have a G4 Powerbook thats a Profesional machine.

Because the consumer wants it and is easier and cheaper to put a G5 in an iMac then a PB. Apple needs to move away from the current crop of processors from Motorola. They entire line (excluding the PM) needs a shot in the arm, period. Waiting for the PB to get a G5 will only hurt the sales of the consumer machines. Holding back one product because of another in a different segment is ludicrous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.