PDA

View Full Version : who do you think would win in a fight...

tjwett
May 22, 2002, 10:57 AM
...a robot bear or a robot alligator?

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 11:00 AM
inane little post here, don't you think?

Try and come up with something a little better next time.

edesignuk
May 22, 2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
inane little post here, don't you think?

Try and come up with something a little better next time.
Agreed! What does this thread have anything to do with...well...anything!?!

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 11:05 AM
Well, if it had been a Macs and Robots thread. But there really aren't many robots run by macs, are there?

Taft
May 22, 2002, 11:13 AM
I saw this cool special on Pulic TV last night. Alan Alda was hosting it, not that it matters...Anyway, it was about these colleges who had teams of soccer playing robots. Basically they had this big field that was monitored by camera whose data was sent to a central computer. The computer controlled the movement of these half-foot robots on wheels. No human input was allowed during the course of play.

The teams would compete by making better robots and a better central control unit to play better offense and defense. They had the robots setting up scoring plays on the opponent's net and passing between players. They had great goalies.

The whole thing was pretty neat. They also had a set of dogs who ran independant of a central computer. Each was self sufficient and self controlled.

They neatest part of the competition was that each year, all of the competitors had to give their code to the rest of the players. This meant that every team went into next year at the same level. It was all about innovating each year and building off of the innovations of last year. Pretty cool.

Anyway, Macs could be used to control these robots, non?

Taft

britboy
May 22, 2002, 11:13 AM
It could have at least been a bit more in keeping with who we have here at macrumors. For example: who do you think would win? Backtothemac with his shotgun, or Mischief with his lemon tarts? :p

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 11:20 AM
yeah....I'd say this is completely relevant to nothing...

but I'll play along... ;)

I'd say the gator...a bear is fierce...but gators u just don't ****** with...

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2002, 11:27 AM
that soccer thing sounds awesome.... way beyond my comprehension of things...

i think krossfyter would win most duals on here. 1.2.3.4. turn! he'd turn around with a freakshow picture and the other person would faint or start cracking up, then kross would finish the job by painting the person's face or something...

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
yeah....I'd say this is completely relevant to nothing...

but I'll play along... ;)

I'd say the gator...a bear is fierce...but gators u just don't ****** with...

Now, don't do that, we had a good 'macs and robot thread' starting.

But Taft, I totally agree, you could have a mac controled robot. I think you don't see it because they're just a little too hard to use for it, PCs are the tinkering computers. But I'll lay odds someone has a mac controled robot out there. It almost makes me want to go out and build one.

A quick search on google wasn't very promising. Sad actually.:(

AlphaTech
May 22, 2002, 11:42 AM
I vote for the guy using HEAP (High Explosive Armor Piercing) rounds to win that fight. :D

Robots, what robots??? Oh, you mean where that crater is now?? heh heh heh

Taft
May 22, 2002, 02:09 PM

Now, don't do that, we had a good 'macs and robot thread' starting.

But Taft, I totally agree, you could have a mac controled robot. I think you don't see it because they're just a little too hard to use for it, PCs are the tinkering computers. But I'll lay odds someone has a mac controled robot out there. It almost makes me want to go out and build one.

A quick search on google wasn't very promising. Sad actually.:(

Do any of you remember the "robot" that MacAddict built out of an old powerbook or iBook a year or two ago?? There is probably some info about that on their site...

Taft

Hemingray
May 22, 2002, 02:12 PM
Don't underestimate the power of HAL. :D

I think this would have been better as a poll, don't you?

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Don't underestimate the power of HAL. :D

I think this would have been better as a poll, don't you?

Never underestimate the power of HAL....

Yep, should have been a poll. But who would have expected it to get this much life. I certainly didn't. I was all for closing it before it even got started, it was so silly. Probably won't even hear from tjwett again.

tjwett
May 22, 2002, 03:01 PM
i'm right here. and yeah it was a silly post. and yeah there are cool mac controlled robots. go to http://www.octant.org
this guy made a whole band of robots that play and write music...good music too. so anyway robot bear or robot alligator? i'm saying bear because of overall badassness...but a robot shark would destroy both of them.

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
i'm right here. and yeah it was a silly post. and yeah there are cool mac controlled robots. go to http://www.octant.org
this guy made a whole band of robots that play and write music...good music too. so anyway robot bear or robot alligator? i'm saying bear because of overall badassness...but a robot shark would destroy both of them.

not if the bear stayed on land. eh?

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 03:12 PM
The bear would win becuase of its ability to maneuver more easily. The croc would be too low to the ground and the bear would be able to just jump on it, pound it into the ground.

rainman::|:|
May 22, 2002, 03:25 PM
Well if the bear was a few thousand years old, and going crazy, not to mention it's biological tissues infected with parasites... The gunslingers would shoot it dead before it could do much damage. Assuming there's no gunslingers around, the bear would win, because it's going FRICKING CRAZY. now if it was a fight between all the Guardians of the Beams, i dunno... probably the turtle, because it vomited up the universe whole... thats a lot of puke...

:)
pnw

AlphaTech
May 22, 2002, 03:27 PM
The bear would win becuase of its ability to maneuver more easily. The croc would be too low to the ground and the bear would be able to just jump on it, pound it into the ground.

I think it would be a close fight, with both animals being the same age. Consider how tough gator hide is, and how they grow with age. Get a mature gator and bear and I think the bear might win. Get the gator a bit older (and larger) and it might go his way more. Go with young on both, and the gator is barely a snak for the bear (crunch). :D

tjwett
May 22, 2002, 08:45 PM
that's a good point. i didn't think about cyborg types. i was thinking they were just metal robots but i like yours much better. they are like biomechanical in my mind now. paulwhannel is right, any turtle puking up the universe definitely rocks. i'm still going with bear though.

cleo
May 22, 2002, 08:50 PM
Are dogs typically part of soccer? Or just the robot version?

(I watch rugby :D))

3rdpath
May 22, 2002, 10:23 PM
robot bears, gators and sharks. turtle vomit. soccer. dogs. rugby.

shouldn't this thread be attached to the "signs of the apocalypse" thread?

Rower_CPU
May 22, 2002, 10:31 PM
It depends on the location.

An alligator in the mountains won't stand a chance, but a bear in the swamp is gonna get messed up in a hurry.

Too many variables going on here...I vote for the langolier! :D

AlphaTech
May 22, 2002, 10:34 PM
How about the guy in a tank??? :D

Rower_CPU
May 22, 2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
How about the guy in a tank??? :D

Nope, the langolier still wins...ha!:p

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Nope, the langolier still wins...ha!:p

I pick Yoda in the swamp:D

Rower_CPU
May 22, 2002, 10:43 PM
I pick Yoda in the swamp:D

I'm not sure if the langoliers exist in that reality or on that planet, but if they did, it would be interesting to see how/if the Force affected them...

If Yoda mastered time travel he would win, since the langoliers are powerless in the "now".

God, I'm a dweeb. :D

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 10:47 PM
[B]

I'm not sure if the langoliers exist in that reality or on that planet, but if they did, it would be interesting to see how/if the Force affected them...

If Yoda mastered time travel he would win, since the langoliers are powerless in the "now"./B]

I know the reference, Steven King. Yoda would kick langolier butt. No doubt about it.

Rower_CPU
May 22, 2002, 10:50 PM
I know the reference, Steven King. Yoda would kick langolier butt. No doubt about it.

Are you talking about Yoda from Ep2 or Ep5/6? He's pretty weak by the end, so I don't know if he'd be up to the challenge then...

Glad to know there are few other King fans around here. Paul obviously is...that reminds me to go out and get the Dark Tower books, since I just finished "Everything's Eventual" a couple of weeks ago.

AmbitiousLemon
May 22, 2002, 10:53 PM
GO BEARS!

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 10:58 PM
Are you talking about Yoda from Ep2 or Ep5/6? He's pretty weak by the end, so I don't know if he'd be up to the challenge then...

Without a doubt, EP2, he is THE Jedi Master. And he would do in any terrain, swamp, desert, forest, mountain, etc.

tjwett
May 23, 2002, 12:57 AM
It depends on the location.

An alligator in the mountains won't stand a chance, but a bear in the swamp is gonna get messed up in a hurry.

Too many variables going on here...I vote for the langolier! :D

but these are robots! maybe they are dukin' it out in a zero gravity steel cage match? but it would be cooler to see them fight in the robot wilderness...bears are awesome swimmers too. plus the bear's robo powered claws gould probably rip right thru the gatorbot's skin while the gator's only real weapon is his bite and there's no way he'd fit his mouth around that big robo-bear ass...
da-bears!

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2002, 01:04 AM
but these are robots! maybe they are dukin' it out in a zero gravity steel cage match? but it would be cooler to see them fight in the robot wilderness...bears are awesome swimmers too. plus the bear's robo powered claws gould probably rip right thru the gatorbot's skin while the gator's only real weapon is his bite and there's no way he'd fit his mouth around that big robo-bear ass...
da-bears!

You're forgetting about the 'gator's tail which is a formidable weapon. It can be swung like a bat, knocking the bear to the ground, making him easy prey.

It doesn't matter how well the bear swims, the 'gator will wrap him up and submerge under the water, going into a spin which will disorient the bear and lead to his drowning.

Go gator...until he get's destroyed by a langolier or Yoda.:D

tjwett
May 23, 2002, 02:52 AM

You're forgetting about the 'gator's tail which is a formidable weapon. It can be swung like a bat, knocking the bear to the ground, making him easy prey.

It doesn't matter how well the bear swims, the 'gator will wrap him up and submerge under the water, going into a spin which will disorient the bear and lead to his drowning.

Go gator...until he get's destroyed by a langolier or Yoda.:D

i didn't think of that. but what if the alligator swings his tail and it hits a tree and knocks a bee-bot hive onto himself thusly covering himself in robo-honey. the bear might lick him to death. how did I go from badass fighting robots to Winnie the Pooh? I need to go roll my hundred sided die and power up...hey wasn't that suposed to be the shape (dodecahedron)of the new PM? there! now the thread is relevant.

Macmaniac
May 23, 2002, 07:38 AM
I have actually built one for my high school. It is a robotic competition called FIRST, www.usfirst.org Each year the teams get a kit of parts and you have to build a robot to complete the challenge. I will post a picture of our robot soon.

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 08:34 AM
...hey wasn't that suposed to be the shape (dodecahedron)of the new PM? there! now the thread is relevant.

Dodecahedron is a twelve sided polygon made up of pentagons for each face. Not a very efficient space for a computer and its components.

tjwett
May 23, 2002, 10:24 PM
...i knew that. just making a joke. do you remember the dodecahedron Powermac rumor? that was a good one. any idea what the actual name for a 100 sided die is? i know there's some ex or, ahem, current dungeons and dragons players here that would know...