Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Hey again! Hoping one of the overseas dev's can help me out with this.

I realise that the main dealings of apple probably happen in the US, but in the itunes connect when you first set up your paid contract, one of the questions asks you for an american tax number and specifies a link to the IRS if you haven't got one. Is this a requirement and if not, are there disadvantages to not having one, when I'm based in AUS??

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
If you don't have an EIN or ITIN, the American tax people will withhold 30% of the money paid to you by Apple. If you have such a number, they will, in the case of Australia, only withhold 5%.

I had to call the IRS office in America and get mine sorted out - it really was the quickest way. The UK's treaty with America means America won't withhold anything to the UK, but for Australia it's 5%, sorry. Still, 5% less is better than 30% less, no?

My advice, get your tax id number sorted out.

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Thank you, that answers my question perfectly :). Much Appreciated!

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Just out of curiosity, which number did you call through to get the EIN and did they provide you with one over the phone?

Thanks again :)

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
I am Australian Developer, and have done all the tax stuff. You need to
- Register for an ABN Number for Australia (free if you do it as a sole trader)
- Register for GST (again free)
- Call the US and get an EIN (free except for the phone call)

Once you have all that you can fill out the last section of the tax info stuff in iTunes connect. In the tips PDF that apple supply with the form there is the number for external people dialling the US. Simply add 0011 1 to the front of it. You can only call during US business hours. (I'd find it for you now, but my internet has been shaped for the next few days, so it would take an eternity to download)

When you've done that you submit the form. Shortly afterwards apple will email you a filled out copy, that you need to sign and mail back to them.

I should note that if you want to charge for your apps, and don't want to be taxed at 30% (on top of the 30% that Apple already takes), then yes, this is Mandatory. Also you cannot sell to Australia unless you are registered with an ABN and for GST. If you just want to give your stuff away then no, you don't need to do any of this.

Finally you need to submit a copy of your GST and ABN Number registration through the main page of iTunes connect, down the bottom.

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Finally you need to submit a copy of your GST and ABN Number registration through the main page of iTunes connect, down the bottom.

Thank you very much. I finally managed to call them last night (thanks to the 12 hr time difference :p) and get an EIN (after my mobile cut out halfway through the process the first time :p). Going to post the signed contract today.

I've already registered and recieved an ABN but it won't be valid until 01/09/08 and as far as i understand, the GST can't kick in until at the earliest the day after that. Do i need to do an actual printscreen of from the ABN registry and submit that to apple or can i settle for the 'congratulations, here's your ABN and your GST is being reviewed' notice? Also, is the GST an actual number as well or will they just say 'yup, you're now registered'?

Also, Thank you dipdog3 for your help, much appreciated! :)

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Do i need to do an actual printscreen of from the ABN registry and submit that to apple or can i settle for the 'congratulations, here's your ABN and your GST is being reviewed' notice? Also, is the GST an actual number as well or will they just say 'yup, you're now registered'?

Good question. I zipped up the final application HTML page that the ATO give you, with your entire application on it. Mine hasn't yet been approved, so I can't really say if that's the what they want or not. GST is not a seperate number, that's just linked to your ABN as a yes/no thing. Just remember if you earn over $AUD75,000 from the app store in one financial year you'll have to pay GST....he he I wish! ;)

Keep me in the loop as to how you go. I applied about 5 days ago, and both my normal and paid contracts are still at 'setup in progress'. I've submitted an App as well and that's still 'In Review'.

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Good question. I zipped up the final application HTML page that the ATO give you, with your entire application on it. Mine hasn't yet been approved, so I can't really say if that's the what they want or not. GST is not a seperate number, that's just linked to your ABN as a yes/no thing. Just remember if you earn over $AUD75,000 from the app store in one financial year you'll have to pay GST....he he I wish! ;)

Keep me in the loop as to how you go. I applied about 5 days ago, and both my normal and paid contracts are still at 'setup in progress'. I've submitted an App as well and that's still 'In Review'.

My ABN doesn't actually kick in until the 01/09 so while I've been issued one it's not valid yet, but as far as I understand, you have 30 days from you first request your contract to submit it to apple so I should be ok. I just mailed in my signed contract today so I'm guessing a week before they recieve it all the way from Australia, then another week or two to get set up. Even my free contract is still saying 'Setup In Process'. I've got an application 'in review' as well and it's been like that for about 4 days, but I think they won't look at it until the contracts go through. Will keep you updated on what happens though and hoping you'll do the same! It's interesting to read peoples experiences, i think! Thank you for your help so far!

mrsbunnyw

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
:confused: Sorry - it's late and I"m probably missing something but I am in the UK and need to register to avoid paying US tax. But I am floundering about here! Please could someone tell me where to start?

I understand that I have to tick a box or something to tell Apple about this. Is that something which I do when I submit my app (not yet completed)?

I see from earlier posts that I need some sort of reference number, which I can get from the IRS. But the acronyms are confusing me - can anyone tell me what I need, and also can I just ask for one, or do I have to fill out forms, supply evidence etc to get one?

Does anyone know how long this all takes, and whether the number expires after a set time? Am I better to apply for it now, so that it doesn't hold my app up, or to wait until the app is ready (probably a couple of weeks) so that it is still valid?

Thanks in advance and sorry for sounding so clueless! :eek:
mrsbunnyw

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
I understand that I have to tick a box or something to tell Apple about this. Is that something which I do when I submit my app (not yet completed)?

Does anyone know how long this all takes, and whether the number expires after a set time? Am I better to apply for it now, so that it doesn't hold my app up, or to wait until the app is ready (probably a couple of weeks) so that it is still valid?

Go to the contracts section of iTunes Connect and it's the tax section of the payed contract. An EIN is an Employer Identification Number, you probably have something similar in the UK. As far as I know it doesn't expire. Apple gives you plenty of links to help PDFs on how to fill out these forms, so follow those.

You should organise all that as soon as you can, because from what I see it takes about a week to approve an app, but 3 weeks or more to process all the forms. ;)

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
:confused: Sorry - it's late and I"m probably missing something but I am in the UK and need to register to avoid paying US tax. But I am floundering about here! Please could someone tell me where to start?

I see from earlier posts that I need some sort of reference number, which I can get from the IRS. But the acronyms are confusing me - can anyone tell me what I need, and also can I just ask for one, or do I have to fill out forms, supply evidence etc to get one?

Thanks in advance and sorry for sounding so clueless! :eek:
mrsbunnyw

If you dont factor in the 20 or so minutes you'll be on hold when you call the IRS to get your EIN it only takes about 10 minutes and you'll get the number on the phone. I found it helpful to have the digital copy of the SS4 form that apple gives you and fill it out on your computer so that when they ask you on the phone it's a bit easier. Also, if the IRS people ask what form you need your EIN for it's a 'w8ben'. The number doesn't expire as far as i know. I think it sticks with you (for us tax purposes) for the rest of your life. I'd say get it as soon as possible :)

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Well my app just got approved! I submitted it on the 7th and today is the 13th. :D

My contracts are still not approved though, so my apps status is now 'Pending Contract'.

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Well my app just got approved! I submitted it on the 7th and today is the 13th. :D

My contracts are still not approved though, so my apps status is now 'Pending Contract'.

Haha. I was just about to make the EXACT same post :p

My application is now approved ('ready for sale') but says pending contract in itunes connect. I'm guessing at least another week since i didn't mail mine until last saturday :S.. Hey, at least the application got approved! I'm excited!

We seem to be on almost the same timeframe MMU.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Ha that's funny. Even funnier if we built the same kind of app :p

Well I think that's given me confidence to go and build the more detailed app I've been planning for a while, I was just holding off to see how this all panned out, but it looks like getting onto the app store is not going to be a problem once the contracts are approved.

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Ha that's funny. Even funnier if we built the same kind of app :p

Well I think that's given me confidence to go and build the more detailed app I've been planning for a while, I was just holding off to see how this all panned out, but it looks like getting onto the app store is not going to be a problem once the contracts are approved.

Same app? I doubt it, but I suppose you never know!
I'm going to be hard at work on an update for the approved app now that it will (assuming the contract goes through) actually be sold, as well as a sort of tie-in program to the other one. I hope the contract kicks in sooner rather than later! By the way, when you submitted your ABN information did you get any kind of confirmation screen at all? I hit submit and all it did was return to the main itunes connect screen, and I'm not sure if I should submit again or if it's received already.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
I'm not sure if I should submit again or if it's received already.

I got no notification at all. It just kicked me back to the main screen as well. I figure if it's not approved by next week I might make some enquiries. I'm not bothered at the moment because it looks like the typical contract wait time is 3 weeks.

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I got no notification at all. It just kicked me back to the main screen as well. I figure if it's not approved by next week I might make some enquiries. I'm not bothered at the moment because it looks like the typical contract wait time is 3 weeks.

Yeah, i suppose there's nothing to do but wait and see. If you do contact them, please let me know how it goes!

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
My free contract just got approved! Now it's just the paid one left. I had an idea for a funny free app, so I might go ahead and code it up just for a laugh...:p

Haha. After reading this i rushed to itunesconnect to check and lo and behold, my free contract has been approved as well. In spite of what i previously thought, it seems like they are actually reviewing things in order and that we both applied pretty much simultaneously. Here's to hoping the paid contract kicks in soon too! ;):D

Taum

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Hi,

If you don't have an EIN or ITIN, the American tax people will withhold 30% of the money paid to you by Apple. If you have such a number, they will, in the case of Australia, only withhold 5%.

I had to call the IRS office in America and get mine sorted out - it really was the quickest way. The UK's treaty with America means America won't withhold anything to the UK, but for Australia it's 5%, sorry. Still, 5% less is better than 30% less, no?

My advice, get your tax id number sorted out.

I tried to get my EIN over the phone 2 weeks ago, but it didn't work (probably my fault for not understanding exactly what they wanted me to do, since I'm not a native speaker of English and it's not easy to do these things over the phone). Anyhow, I was wondering if it's still possible to get Apple to sell my apps with the 30% withholding rate even though I'm entitled to a 0% rate ? (since now I've moved to yet another country and it's getting really complicated but whatever)

TripleJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Hi,

I tried to get my EIN over the phone 2 weeks ago, but it didn't work (probably my fault for not understanding exactly what they wanted me to do, since I'm not a native speaker of English and it's not easy to do these things over the phone). Anyhow, I was wondering if it's still possible to get Apple to sell my apps with the 30% withholding rate even though I'm entitled to a 0% rate ? (since now I've moved to yet another country and it's getting really complicated but whatever)

I'd suggest calling the IRS again and telling them that your english is not that good and they will try to help you get an EIN. If you don't want to get an EIN, just submit the tax information on the itunes connect page without putting an EIN and apple will take care of the rest, but this means that for every dollar you earn, apple will take 30% and then the US government will take ANOTHER 30% which leaves you with only 40% of revenue.
It's worth getting an EIN.

RossOliver

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I just finished my tax information and got an email with:

IMPORTANT: Please make sure to sign and mail the forms to Apple as per the instructions. All information must be provided in order to complete processing. By submitting this form you may be eligible for a lower withholding rate as a result of applicable tax treaties.

Does that mean I have to physically print, sign and mail it to them?

-Ross

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.