Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Hi all - I've just started playing CIV 3 from Macsoft again on my 2.0GHz Macbook. It works fine (despite the resolution not being right, which I can cope with). However, the fan runs constantly which annoys me a bit.

My question is, will CIV 3 Complete from with the UB patch also make the fan run? If not I'll consider buying it.

Thanks in advance!

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The fan is running because your MacBook is running hot. CIV3 isn't processor intensive, if I recall, so you can run with the battery removed. That will limit your MacBook to it's lowest speed (~1GHz) but it'll keep your MacBook running cooler.

It's odd how games of even modest requirements (Fallout 1 & 2) wants to max out my MacBook. I usually run with the battery removed and I notice no slowdown.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
The fan is running because your MacBook is running hot. CIV3 isn't processor intensive, if I recall, so you can run with the battery removed. That will limit your MacBook to it's lowest speed (~1GHz) but it'll keep your MacBook running cooler.

It's odd how games of even modest requirements (Fallout 1 & 2) wants to max out my MacBook. I usually run with the battery removed and I notice no slowdown.

That's brilliant! No more fan noise. It also stops the fan going mad when I'm watching BBC iPlayer which has been a major irritation for ages. You live and learn eh?

Thanks Mousse!

Barham

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
I would be very careful about running without the battery. If your magsafe gets disconnected (which is exactly what it is designed to do) your comp shuts completely off instantly. Not very good for your hardware.

Keytachi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
So far on most games i play on my macbook, my fan goes nuts. I'll have to try removing the battery ;)

And I'd also like to tell to the OP that i can run CIV IV on my macbook if you are interested :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.