PDA

View Full Version : Any guesses who spent 29,500 at ITMS??

gemio17
Jan 6, 2004, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know or have any guesses on who spent 29,500 bucks at the iTunes music store???

jeremy.king
Jan 6, 2004, 02:56 PM
buymusic.com and napster :D

gemio17
Jan 6, 2004, 03:02 PM
haha that would make sense...I was thinking more along the lines of Moby or maybe some celebrity's kid....hmmm

Foucault
Jan 6, 2004, 06:06 PM
He's a big ITMS fan, on the last MTV Cribs he was seen messing around in his 17in Titanium Powerbook, buying songs in ITMS...

rogozhin
Jan 7, 2004, 12:50 AM
Maybe they were bought by people at Pepsi, on a test account. When you're willing to throw down for 50 million tracks (assuming they are paying for half of the 100 million they are giving away in partnership with Apple), what's 30k to them?

Mr. Anderson
Jan 7, 2004, 07:47 AM
It would be hard to believe that it was an individual who did this and not a company. That's some serious cash and then you have to wonder who got to do the downloading ;)

A bit time consuming......

Lots of companies have their own music for retail stores. Maybe someone thought this would be a good way to go.

D

South of Heaven
Jan 8, 2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by rogozhin
Maybe they were bought by people at Pepsi, on a test account. When you're willing to throw down for 50 million tracks (assuming they are paying for half of the 100 million they are giving away in partnership with Apple), what's 30k to them?

Its all relative in terms of being "serious" cash. Not to brag but I drop that amount on books in about 8 months. So its not all that impossible to be a regualr person that makes good money to drop that amount. THink about it. Say you have the money but yhou don't have teh time to rip all your CDs. Its more cost effective to purchase them arain then pay someone to rip them for you.

South of Heaven
Jan 8, 2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by South of Heaven
Its all relative in terms of being "serious" cash. Not to brag but I drop that amount on books in about 8 months. So its not all that impossible to be a regualr person that makes good money to drop that amount. THink about it. Say you have the money but yhou don't have teh time to rip all your CDs. Its more cost effective to purchase them arain then pay someone to rip them for you.

Damn I quoted the wrong post. Anyway I think you get my drift.

rogueimage
Jan 8, 2004, 01:10 PM
I think the bulk of the money this person spent was probably in gift certificates. It was probably a wealthy person with lots of friends who gave the largest available gift certificate to everyone he or she knew. Unfortunately, I do not seem to have been one of the people to receive one.

cmaracz88
Jan 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

You'd be surprised how "cheap" companies get. Some spend tens of thousands on television and magazine commercials for contests where there is just one prize and it's something like an autographed poster by some new nu-metal band or a video game.

eyelikeart
Jan 10, 2004, 09:30 AM
I like the idea of Shaq being the one. He likes to blow a lot of cash from what I've seen, having a ridiculous house & collection of "toys." It wouldn't surprise me anyway.

MattG
Jan 11, 2004, 08:23 PM
God, 29,500 songs. That'd have to be one big f*ckin' iPod.

Shifty
Jan 12, 2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MattG
God, 29,500 songs. That'd have to be one big f*ckin' iPod.

hehe...:D

I reckon some record company may have purchased all those tracks, so they could host it on their site for streaming.

Doctor Q
Jan 12, 2004, 05:26 PM
If it was an organization, like Pepsi, it seems a little misleading for Apple to make a fuss about that being the amount spent by the top customer. I'd like to think it was a single rich consumer, buying for himself, herself, or for others.

Maybe it's Michael Jackson, trying to buy all covers of all Beatles songs, mistakenly thinking that gives him the licensing rights for them all! ;)

starboard
Jan 12, 2004, 06:00 PM

it makes sense that it was a company account. image how much time it would take to go through and select that many songs, buy them, and downloading them. More likely it's just a bunch of people using one company account.

but then, one account can only be activated on three mac's. hmm...

Doctor Q
Jan 12, 2004, 07:42 PM
Maybe it's Apple's internal quality assurance department, making sure the iTunes Music Store works properly. For the best test, the Apple testers should behave exactly like real consumers, but of course give it a workout well beyond what the toughest consumer might do. So they would look to the rest of Apple like a big-spending customer.

Mudbug
Jan 12, 2004, 10:10 PM
i think Jobs himself did it. He's got the bankroll as well, plus it's pretty much an instant music collection for whoever spent it. Steve probably spent it all on Beatles cover songs ;)

SilvorX
Jan 13, 2004, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Steve himself, he has that sort of money, and each time he demos iTMS at any type of keynote, he always downloads a few songs, hes obsessed with downloading music

kettle
Jan 13, 2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Mudbug
Steve probably spent it all on Beatles cover songs ;)

He He, That's the Badger!:p

sketchy
Jan 13, 2004, 01:16 PM
My guess would be the Drew Carey Show. They bought iPods for all of the staff. Toss in a couple hundred in gift certificates. you could hit that mark real quick.

Gymnut
Jan 13, 2004, 03:14 PM
It was me. I mortgaged the house, sold my car, and relegated to living on the streets all for the sake of having 29k+ songs.

noxes
Jan 14, 2004, 02:00 AM
Maybe it is Arn, he gives us the music recomendations.

Sabbath
Jan 17, 2004, 07:10 PM
It has to be Steve!

But thats 3 40gig iPods full! :eek:

phreakout13
Jan 22, 2004, 02:34 PM
me:p

Skandranon
Jan 25, 2004, 04:29 PM
29,500 songs.

At 1 song a minute, it'd take you 20.5 days to download that many tracks.

Someone's got a LOT of free time on their hands....

:cool:

acidrock
Feb 4, 2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
It would be hard to believe that it was an individual who did this and not a company. That's some serious cash and then you have to wonder who got to do the downloading ;)

A bit time consuming......

Lots of companies have their own music for retail stores. Maybe someone thought this would be a good way to go.

D

Actually I'm sure it was Bill Gates. He wanted to find out the inside scoop on iTunes for microsoft's music store before it came out. LOL j/k

ethernet76
Feb 4, 2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Skandranon
29,500 songs.

At 1 song a minute, it'd take you 20.5 days to download that many tracks.

Someone's got a LOT of free time on their hands....

:cool:

What are they on ISDN? Cable it takes like 10 seconds a song? College LAN takes me 20 or so depending on length.

bennetsaysargh
Feb 8, 2004, 01:29 PM
lol. i don't think there can be that many songs on any iPod all at once until we have a really really really really really big iPod.:p;)

i say steve, to test everything.;)