Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
From a Hoover's Online article that was linked from MacSurfer:

"Compal recently beat out Quanta to win orders for Powerbook notebook PCs from Apple Computer, with deliveries to begin in the fourth quarter. "

Do you think the new manufacturer would signify a completely new Powerbook model in October, November, or December? It would probably make sense financially to set up a new assembly line only for a new model. Otherwise, it'd be cheaper to stick with Quanta. The 4th quarter timeframe would make sense, since that would be a 6-8 month delay between the recent revision released on April 29.

(I'm assuming they are manufacturing the TiBooks with Quanta now; I know that's who is producing the iMacs.)

- Ash

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Hmmm. I don't know who makes the Ti now, either...

But it looks like Apple has signed a new contract with this Compal (who is either taking over from Quanta, or out-bid them for this new contract?) to make PowerBooks.

I guess this could mean that Apple is ramping up production and needs to add a new supplier to meet expected demand or, as you speculate, Apple needs a new supplier to make a new model... Interesting.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: New Powerbook Manufacturer in Q4 - New Model Coming?

Originally posted by Ash

Do you think the new manufacturer would signify a completely new Powerbook model in October, November, or December? It would probably make sense financially to set up a new assembly line only for a new model. Otherwise, it'd be cheaper to stick with Quanta.

Its a reasonable explanation, but its also a very competetive industry, so some companies might be willing to layout a little extra money to get up to speed if the contracts big enough.

Not that I wouldn't love to see a new model TiPB.:D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Re: New Powerbook Manufacturer in Q4 - New Model Coming?

Originally posted by dukestreet
Not that I wouldn't love to see a new model TiPB.:D

of course...I'm still trying to figure out how they are going to outdo the current TiBook...

it cannot possibly be anything similar to what we have now or will it?!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Re: Re: New Powerbook Manufacturer in Q4 - New Model Coming?

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I'm still trying to figure out how they are going to outdo the current TiBook...

it cannot possibly be anything similar to what we have now or will it?!

As long as it packs the punch! I'd still love to see an iodized (sp?) blue one. I would definitely buy!

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Powerbook Manufacturer in Q4 - New Model Coming?

Originally posted by Hemingray

As long as it packs the punch! I'd still love to see an iodized (sp?) blue one. I would definitely buy!

I have many nitro R/C trucks and all I can tell you is that iodized parts scratch EASY, I would NEVER buy a notebook computer like that!

You must be crazy. :rolleyes:

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
(I'm assuming they are manufacturing the TiBooks with Quanta now; I know that's who is producing the iMacs.)

I don't think Apple is currently outsourcing TiBook production. I bought 2 new TiBooks which I received last week. The shipment was delayed by 2 days, and an Apple rep phoned to tell me about the delay which was caused by a shipment of LCD screens arriving at their facility 2 days late. The units definitely shipped from the US.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I agree. It's tough to improve on the current design, but if there's anyone who can do it - it's Apple.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Answering my own question, I quote the Salt Institute:

Salt producers are a key element in combating Iodine Deficiency Disorders (IDD) today throughout the world.

David Marine (1880-1976) is the "father" of iodized salt in the United States. As the result of his and co-workers research on endemic goiter and iodine deficiency, the Michigan State Medical Society, in 1924, launched a goiter prevention program using iodized salt.  Medical science since has identified a far more serious threat than the cosmetic problem of goiter -- mental retardation.  The "hidden hunger" of iodine deficiency causes a 10-15% reduction in a population's IQ capability, mental retardation and cretinism.

In the United States, salt producers cooperated with public health authorities and made both iodized and plain salt available to consumers at the same cost. Newspapers urged people to use iodized salt for the prevention of iodine deficiency. The Michigan programwas highly successful and iodized salt use quickly spread throughout the country. Ultimately, household use of iodized salt eliminated iodine deficiency in the North America.   In 1955, researchers reported that 75.8% of U.S. households used only iodized salt. The Salt Institute that nearly 70% of the table salt sold in the United States is iodized.  Continued public education is needed, however.  Recently, the National Academy ofSciences increased the recommended intake level for iodine and nutrition surveys show a small but steady erosion in Americans' iodine intakes.

iapple

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2001
new tibook? Already?

Seems a little soon for an upgrade, but if it is coming, it is definitely a "major" upgrade I think. The current TiBook is probably the last model of the"Ti"s.
It's hard for me to think of hot to improve the current model's design, since it seems sooo fantastic (currently using an old 667, and it is great!!)

When I moved from my old iBook 500 combo to the Tibook, I REALLY felt the difference between a G3 and a G4. I dunno, it just seems "snappier".

I forgot who said this, but if someone can roll out a better design, it gotta be Apple!

kdog

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2002
who manufactures the ibook?

Are we certain that the new contract is for pbook G4's...? or could this be a contract for the next generation ibooks (which are expected to need a complete redesign if they ever move beyond the G3)? Q4 is Dec '02 is 7 mo from now, about right for the next ibook rev.

Aquanaut

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
UK
Re: Re: Re: New Powerbook Manufacturer in Q4 - New Model Coming?

Originally posted by eyelikeart

of course...I'm still trying to figure out how they are going to outdo the current TiBook...

Wow - After 8 years using only Mac desktops I have just bought a new Tibook and after one week I have rediscovered Macintosh all over again.

Outdo the current Tibook? There's a thought ...

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I have to say, my new Ti800 is super. At work I connect it to a 21" Trinitron, and love it. It has replaced two old computers, one laptop and one desktop.

Right now I am installing Win XP on Virtual PC 5, and I have to say, that the full screen thing is kind of cool, It is really like having two (or more) computers in one. Way cooler than VMWare, due to better integration, IMHO.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Re: Iodized

Originally posted by pwfletcher
I always put salt on my Apples ...
Salt on apples is good, but I've never tried salt on Apples.:D I wonder if it would make it go faster.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm, lets see..... A little here, some on the ram, ooh.....the processor looks like a good spot.
Bzzzzzzzzzz ZAP! BANG!..............KABOOOOOM

Whoopsie. Maybe I put a little too much on.:)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
You know, if you dissociate calcium chloride (or magnesium chloride) you get more molar ions than sodium chloride. That is why people use it on their driveways instead of NaCl.

Why don't you try and see what happens with an Apple processor? :)

As for the rumors of Ti leaving the Powerbook G4 line, that sounds so terrible. I really like the Titanium reflection (no I do not have one yet) and a reflective color seems just right for Apple. Besides, I want one pretty bad.

Fear the King.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.