Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtrippin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I have a blue & white powermac g3 that was working perfectly up until yesterday. I bought two 256MB ram modules, and after installing them in place of two smaller 128MB modules the entire unit has ceased working.

The first two boot attempts yielded a hung boot process and then a 'no' symbol in place of the apple logo on boot. (circle with a slash through it.) After two failures I removed the new ram modules and attempted to boot again. Again I got a hung boot cycle. Another reset led to the unit no longer even powering on. Hit the switch, nothing. The power supply wouldn't turn on.

I thought I may have killed the power supply, so I swapped it out with a known working unit from a parts mac and put everything back together. Upon boot the system immediately went into kernel panic, and powered down before I could read enough of the error message to decipher the problem. After booting into kernel panic, I once again was not able to get the unit to power on at all.

I did a little more research and reset CUDA, waited ten seconds and hit the power button on the logic board. The machine powered up and once again, hung on boot. From that point forward I have been unable to get the machine to power on at all. Again.

I have changed out the logic board with a known working unit and still get the same results. Whenever the power switch is depressed, the only thing that happens is two LEDs (DS7 & DS9) flash once, nothing else happens. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.