PDA

View Full Version : Macrumors just won't let me work!!!

mymemory
May 22, 2002, 01:26 PM
Please ARN, can you close the site from 9am to 6pm eastern time?

I'm glad I'm not at school any more because I would fail all my test already.

Help!

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 01:35 PM
So true, so true.

But all us slackers need the site to be open 24 hours a day. Besides, even if you could get the aussies to agree (they're mostly sleeping then anyway) all the europeans would be up in arms.

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 01:36 PM
the pain would be.....just.....too......MUCH!!!! :eek:

if it weren't for this website....I'd have everything finished last week...ha ha ha!!! :D

cleo
May 22, 2002, 01:38 PM
Because of my Quest for 500, I very well might be the first MR member to fail "American National Government" at a freaking community college. How embarrassing. :D

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by cleo
Because of my Quest for 500, I very well might be the first MR member to fail "American National Government" at a freaking community college. How embarrassing. :D

maybe u should write them a letter illustrating how important gaining avatar status is in your quest for completely understanding what a senate is all about at macrumors?? :D

cleo
May 22, 2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

maybe u should write them a letter illustrating how important gaining avatar status is in your quest for completely understanding what a senate is all about at macrumors?? :D

LOL. I do have to write a research paper... :D

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

Help!

ha. i'm just putting off everything. cleaning my room. calling places about jobs. doing other stuff. even golfing. wow....

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2002, 01:51 PM

hello! just plagiarize the politics thread!!!! ha

3rdpath
May 22, 2002, 01:57 PM
yea, this forum stuff is drug-like in it's addictiveness...

my name is 3rdpath and i'm a macrumor addict.

but i COULD stop posting anytime i wanted to, really! its just that i don't feel like stopping...and besides, i'm not hurting anyone else.....

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 02:06 PM

then perfect!! :D

u should include macrumors in your "works cited" page... ;)

be sure to include the thread names of which u spent the most time in...

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

ha. i'm just putting off everything. cleaning my room. calling places about jobs. doing other stuff. even golfing. wow....

speaking of jobs, what ever happened at the interview, was it yesterday or monday?

Hemingray
May 22, 2002, 02:26 PM
:::looks up at the clock::: Ohhh... yeah... I'm supposed to be working right now!! :( :rolleyes: :mad: :p ;) :cool: :D

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

speaking of jobs, what ever happened at the interview, was it yesterday or monday?

the guy was really cool and it was pretty much a self made place. small little place that did transfers and weddings and even just did a making of some movie for hbo....

however, he didn't really have anything he could offer me. i could tell he was trying, but nothing really available. so, i'm kinda on call with him. if he needs help with a wedding or something, and i'm around, i'll probably do it. no talk of money or anything. he also uses a pc with premiere. yuck. but hey, i don't blame him. he's cool.

my brother emailed me a bunch of phone numbers for video places from the frederick, md county phone book. i just really hate calling those places... i mean, what do i say? "uhh, can i have a job?" ahhh, it sucks.

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 02:37 PM
my brother emailed me a bunch of phone numbers for video places from the frederick, md county phone book. i just really hate calling those places... i mean, what do i say? "uhh, can i have a job?" ahhh, it sucks.

Cold calling sucks, but don't let it stop you, you never know. Besides any experience you can get is better than sitting around posting on MacRumors and listening to your mother complain about not having a job......

britboy
May 22, 2002, 02:46 PM
i just really hate calling those places... i mean, what do i say? "uhh, can i have a job?" ahhh, it sucks.

Yes, cold calling isn't the easiest way of looking for a job, but it gives you something to impress a potential employer with immediately: initiative.

That said, i wouldn't do it myself either.

I spend way too much time here for my own good. This site is going to be my ruin! I just can't get enough of it, i love you guys! (and gals, or course) :D :D

AlphaTech
May 22, 2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mymemory

Help!

I would have to go medevial on your a$$ if that happened.

Besides, how am I supposed to fill the slow time at work?? You need to see the threads all day in order to catch them these days. With how fast they appear on the main site, and then move off if no one posts to it, to make room for other threads.

You would probably have all but one of the registered users of this site coming after you if it was closed down for those hours (in the area of 5000 people at last count?). I know that I would be one of them. :D

jelloshotsrule
May 22, 2002, 02:51 PM

Cold calling sucks, but don't let it stop you, you never know. Besides any experience you can get is better than sitting around posting on MacRumors and listening to your mother complain about not having a job......

indeed. well... gotta do what i gotta do.

off to call and then star wars tonight probably....

yes.

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 03:10 PM

yes.

Cool, I'm going to see StarWars tomorrow night. There's a theater in the area that's showing it on a digital projector. I've never seen one at the theater on digital, should be interesting, digital movie, digital projector. I hope its worth it.

I'll have to go see it again next week on a regular large screen and see what the differences are. Besides, need to work on my SW quotes.

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

I would have to go medevial on your a$$ if that happened.

nah....u would never do something like that to anyone... ;)

AlphaTech
May 22, 2002, 03:24 PM

nah....u would never do something like that to anyone... ;)

Maybe I should have said postal, but I was thinking more along the lines of Pulp Fiction level beatings... :D...

I saw on the Discovery channel the other night (while testing my 60GB Travelstar drive) what AP rounds to do human body models... eeeeeesh... entry wound is small, but there is a hole the size of a basketball (or just under) where it comes out. Talk about nasty... I like it... Finally a way to visualize the damage with real imagry. :D

Yes, I am one sick ******* at times.... :D

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 03:48 PM
I saw on the Discovery channel the other night (while testing my 60GB Travelstar drive) what AP rounds to do human body models... eeeeeesh... entry wound is small, but there is a hole the size of a basketball (or just under) where it comes out. Talk about nasty... I like it... Finally a way to visualize the damage with real imagry. :D

Yes, I am one sick ******* at times.... :D

I bet u were one of those kids who would use a magnifying glass to kill ants & other insects...

actually...I was one of them...ha ha ha... :D

britboy
May 22, 2002, 03:51 PM

yes.

Cool, good luck!

I went to see ep2 last night. The cinema had dts, but i was sat to one side :( I'll probably go again tomorrow night, and sit in the middle, just to get the proper sound :p

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 03:57 PM
Ants and a magnifying glass got a little boring after a while. I do remember a friend of mine finding a hornets nest in the ground - just a little hole in the ground about the size of a quarter and thought it would be fun to poor a bucket of water in the hole to see what would happen.

Out of curiousity, all the neighborhood kids gathered round to watch this amazing feat of fearlessness (except me, I was farther back than anyone else). He picks up the bucket, moves it right to the edge of the hole and pours it in, not dropping the bucket immediately. Of course once its empty he dumps and runs, along with all the other kids, yelling and screaming. We get back into my house and everyone is whining and complaining about all the bee stings they got, except me. My grandmother ended up treating everybody that day, it would be interesting to talk to them all and see if anyone remembers it.....

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 04:09 PM
Ants and a magnifying glass got a little boring after a while.

I know...

a few years later I went through my destructive, "set ***** on fire" stage...

my mom was less than thrilled during those years... :eek: ;)

AlphaTech
May 22, 2002, 04:11 PM

I bet u were one of those kids who would use a magnifying glass to kill ants & other insects...

actually...I was one of them...ha ha ha... :D

Nahhh... I never thought that small... I would make napalm type bombs (plastic bottles of gas) and toss them at insect hives and such. Considering how you could do it from a distance, and not get stung, it is better then dumping water or using the magnifying glass... with the glass, you only get one, with the gas, you get many.

As I said... one sick ******* :D but I am 'better' now.... heh heh heh heh

britboy
May 22, 2002, 04:13 PM

I know...

a few years later I went through my destructive, "set ***** on fire" stage...

my mom was less than thrilled during those years... :eek: ;)

ha ha ha! I got past my pyromaniac stage when i accidentally burnt my eyebrows off trying to get a fire to start with a can of gasoline :D I sure won't be forgetting that on in a hurry...

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by britboy

ha ha ha! I got past my pyromaniac stage when i accidentally burnt my eyebrows off trying to get a fire to start with a can of gasoline :D I sure won't be forgetting that on in a hurry...

that would explain your avatar then...the worm blowing something up... :D

I think mine came to an end when I set the garden on fire in front of the house...

she wasn't too pleased to see that... :eek: :rolleyes:

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by britboy

Cool, good luck!

I went to see ep2 last night. The cinema had dts, but i was sat to one side :( I'll probably go again tomorrow night, and sit in the middle, just to get the proper sound :p

well. only one thing really worked out. i talked to a guy for a while who does local commercials and such. he said he has too much work for him to handle. and he wants someone to edit (my current specialty) and so i'm gonna send a resume and my tape (have to make one up... ha). so we'll see. i'm hopeful, but not TOO hopeful.

didn't get to star wars. ending up buying a suit instead. yuck. i ****ing hate dressing up. much less buying suits.... not a fun experience. star wars tomorrow i hope.

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:24 PM
Nahhh... I never thought that small... I would make napalm type bombs (plastic bottles of gas) and toss them at insect hives and such. Considering how you could do it from a distance, and not get stung, it is better then dumping water or using the magnifying glass... with the glass, you only get one, with the gas, you get many.

As I said... one sick ******* :D but I am 'better' now.... heh heh heh heh

Your real name wouldn't be Marshall Luckins, now would it? He was a kid I grew up with a long time ago who use to do all sorts of stupid stuff. He would fill styrofoam cups up with gasoline, light then (they'd just burn on the top) and drop them out of his window onto the drive way. That continued until he set the garage on fire! Ha.

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:29 PM
I can't believe I missed the whole pyro-talk.

I'm still a bit of a closet pyro,

http://www.dukestreet.com/pages/blackhole/solstice/solstice1999.html

We've been doing this every year for 5 years now and its getting bigger each time, its just a matter of when we actually get caught. This years should be great. The video isn't the best, but you can get the idea.

I'm building my firewheel out of my old G4 box and I'm using the no glue approach which hasn't caught on yet. But its quite fun, if anyone is in DC on the 22nd of June let me know, you should come by for the festivities.

D

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 12:33 PM
http://www.dukestreet.com/pages/blackhole/solstice/solstice1999.html

I'm building my firewheel out of my old G4 box and I'm using the no glue approach which hasn't caught on yet. But its quite fun, if anyone is in DC on the 22nd of June let me know, you should come by for the festivities.

D

the link doesn't work....but I wanna see it!!! :D

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 12:36 PM
the question is... which one are you in the pictures??

i saw the one of the women holding the guy up... i am hoping that's you.

that's a classic looking photo. ha

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:37 PM

the link doesn't work....but I wanna see it!!! :D

I don't understand, it works for me. You can get to it by going to my website

www.dukestreet.com

and click on the BlackHole link at the bottom. Then select the 1999 Solstice Party. I haven't gotten around to the others yet.

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 12:38 PM

www.dukestreet.com

and click on the BlackHole link at the bottom. Then select the 1999 Solstice Party. I haven't gotten around to the others yet.

it worked for me too....

straight from the link. weird

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:40 PM
the question is... which one are you in the pictures??

i saw the one of the women holding the guy up... i am hoping that's you.

that's a classic looking photo. ha

Yeah its a good photo, but its not me, that's Armand (President of the National Flossing Council). I'm in the other group shot with the funky Fiji shirt holding a beer.

Last year we had about 12 wheels, a lot of people made there own, this year looks to be even better.

Oh, and we'll have another xmas tree to burn too!

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 12:47 PM

www.dukestreet.com

must be something about the way I'm clicking on the link...he he he... ;)

still not working....keep getting "attempt to acces failed" errors...

maybe I'll try restarting IE... :(

cleo
May 23, 2002, 12:51 PM

www.dukestreet.com

I'm getting a No Such Host... have been all day, tried to see digit.mov earlier. Perhaps exceeded bandwidth?

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:57 PM

I'm getting a No Such Host... have been all day, tried to see digit.mov earlier. Perhaps exceeded bandwidth?

That's weird, I'll try it on another machine, but it works for me. However, the flossing.org site is down, maybe they're having problems at the host, damn, hate when that happens.

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 12:58 PM

AH HAH!!!! :D

I'm not the only one...he he he ;)

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 01:04 PM
is it just me or did u post the same thing twice cleo?! :eek:

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 01:13 PM

she's just trying to make her point twice as strongly... ha

AlphaTech
May 23, 2002, 01:15 PM

AH HAH!!!! :D

I'm not the only one...he he he ;)

No, you're not alone... you're never alone.... muahahahahahaaa...

I tried getting there too, but cannot find the server. What's up with that duke??? You got something against people behind corporate firewalls?? :D

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 01:16 PM

Yeah its a good photo, but its not me, that's Armand (President of the National Flossing Council). I'm in the other group shot with the funky Fiji shirt holding a beer.

Last year we had about 12 wheels, a lot of people made there own, this year looks to be even better.

Oh, and we'll have another xmas tree to burn too!

haha. is that a little bit of frosted hair i am seeing there? hmm....

you actually look kinda like my old dramatic writing teacher. the kinda suave wavy hair and pronounced facial features. (i don't even know what that last part means, i just wanted to say it)...

oh, and i'm not sure burning is best for the environment eh? they are "allowed" to burn things here in my part of the country as a way of desposing of things. i don't like it much... smells and pollutes.

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 01:38 PM
I called tech support and it seems they changed the IP address of the site, so the DNS lookup tables take a bit of time to update (72 hours in some cases), sorry. So chech back later.

I'll bump the thread up to the top or create a new one when its working.

cleo
May 23, 2002, 01:40 PM

Apparently I did. Hmm. I was doing a lot of Back and Forward in OmniWeb... maybe I accidentally reloaded the "post" page? Anyway, I'll go try to delete it. Hrmph. :D