Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rust.puppet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Ashtabula, OH
so say "someone" bought a ipod touch that was still in the packaging, and they found out it was stolen from a retail store.... and that "someone" tried to register it on itunes.

is there any way they'd try to track to the phone and that "someone" would be caught for the sellers problem?

or is there no way to track this?

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
methinks you have dropped a hint. you go from saying "touch" to "phone"

And your signature doesn't help the image. are you the someone?

rust.puppet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Ashtabula, OH
sorry im usually on the iphone forum, its hard for me to keep on topic since i have ADHD or something.

i actually meant to call it a ipod.

but yes the point is that the person is me. i just dont want to get caught up in someone elses wrong doing but i dont want to give it up or lose out on the price i paid.

[[im getting a iphone later, completely off topic though, im poor atm]]

dtekdahl00

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Theoretically I think justifying buying a stolen iPhone at a discounted price with "I am poor" is worse than the actual stealing.
Everyone is poor. If you're poor, don't buy a phone with a $60 a month plan.
Gah this OP is pathetic.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Do you know why people steal? It's because there're always "someone" who will buy it.

Don't willingly buy stolen goods.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Do you know why people steal? It's because there're always "someone" who will buy it.

Don't willingly buy stolen goods.

yea, if you didnt know it was stolen you may be able to return it then get your money back if the police get involved.

same thing happened to me with a game boy micro on ebay a couple years ago, it was stolen so i had to send it to the police then i got a refund from paypal..

my thinking is you knew it was stolen tho..

rust.puppet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Ashtabula, OH
i want to atleast try to get my money back from the seller, but they are good friends with a family member and i dont want any bad blood.

i just think its stolen, mainly because it was still in the package and he was selling it 100$ cheaper than regular pricing.

and fyi. by poor i mean i cant afford 2 months phone bill in advance at the moment plus the phone unsubsidized. [iphone 3g] im waiting till december when im upgrade elligable. just hit rough times right now.

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
The iPod Touch is $100 cheaper bought as a refurb direct from Apple, and I'm thinking they are pretty cheap on ebay as well. It's not guaranteed to have been stolen.

Your best bet probably is to just contact Apple and get the serial checked out, and if it's hinky, do whatever you need to do to clear it up.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
The iPod Touch is $100 cheaper bought as a refurb direct from Apple, and I'm thinking they are pretty cheap on ebay as well. It's not guaranteed to have been stolen.

Your best bet probably is to just contact Apple and get the serial checked out, and if it's hinky, do whatever you need to do to clear it up.

As you say, not necessarily stolen! It could be a free one from the Apple rebate, or an unwanted prize or insurance claim.

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
As you say, not necessarily stolen! It could be a free one from the Apple rebate, or an unwanted prize or insurance claim.

True. My friend just sold a basically brand new 2G 8GB iPhone for $300. He received it from Apple as a replacement when his broke, and he put it in a drawer then got a 3G iPhone. There's always possibilities.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Throw it away. Buy a new one. Do the right thing.

Ace:apple:

P.S. Or you could walk up to the Apple Store it was stolen from at 2 in the morning and leave it at the door? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.