Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Far Out Labs has released their ProRemote Light [$39.99, App Store] and ProRemote [$149.99, App Store] applications to the iTunes App Store.
ProRemote is a product that runs on the iPhone and iPod Touch that uses your existing wireless network to control professional audio products such as Digidesign’s ProTools and Apple’s Logic Music production systems.

The full version of ProRemote also includes a dedicated transport view that allows the user to do audio scrubbing/shuttling, set markers (memory locations) and control many advanced aspects of the transport as well as basic play, record, and return to zero.
The developer plans to provide many upgrades to the full version of ProRemote including enhanced support for other Digital Audio Workstations, custom commands, remote layouts and full macro support as well as support for Windows.

A comparison between the Full and Light editions are provided in this feature comparison chart. The developer also provides this demo video.

Article Link

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
What is up with the dates on the App Store??
I check it several times a day and always choose "Sort by Release Date" - this app is listed as being released on Aug 1st - NO WAY I missed that!

There is only 1 review for the app as well... apparently I'm not the only one who missed this "Aug 1st" release date either... :rolleyes:

They also did the same thing with Teleport... this is really starting to annoy me. If I didn't read the Mac blogs, I wouldn't know about some of these apps.

update: I'm backtracking through the App Store now, looking at all the apps that were released in the past week... I'm finding several that have been "pre-dated" and didn't appear on the actual days that they were suppposedly released on... WinAdmin, Scroll Me, iXboxLive, etc.... :rolleyes:

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Pretty high price for something that can only control ProTools and is not a whole lot better than Free VNC.

Felix Martinez

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
That's amazing. Can't wait to try it!
See that's the thing. Looks fantastic, but day-to-day use is another thing. If an app is $5 I don't have a prob throwing that away, but for $50 or $150 I want to run this thing around the block a bit to see if it's ready for prime time.

I also have everyone turn off all cell phones in my studio b/c of the GSM noise, which crops up from time to time. Certainly not what you want to have creep into your recording when the red light is on.

Again, I'd love to test this out - looks amazing, but I'd love to see if it's right for me.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Would love it if it supported Digital Performer.

I also have everyone turn off all cell phones in my studio b/c of the GSM noise, which crops up from time to time. Certainly not what you want to have creep into your recording when the red light is on.

Turn on WiFi only to use this.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
See that's the thing. Looks fantastic, but day-to-day use is another thing. If an app is $5 I don't have a prob throwing that away, but for $50 or $150 I want to run this thing around the block a bit to see if it's ready for prime time.

Again, I'd love to test this out - looks amazing, but I'd love to see if it's right for me.

Agreed. At those price points, I def think there should be some sort of free trial period or something. This is still a significantly missing piece of the App Store experience. Hopefulyl Apple & vendors can figure out a way to implement some sort of trial basis for apps. Tho I somehow doubt we'll see this concept implemented.

As far as GSM noise, I too require all cell phones off when recording.
That said, wouldn't Airplane Mode suffice when/if using ProRemote?

Maybe I missed it, but is there more info about supported configs and versions of PT? I'm running PTLE 6.4(?) on a G4/500 in OS 10.3.8 (the highest OS that still supports my Digi001). Curious if ProRemote Lite is even an option for my setup...

**heads over to Digidesign forums**

fakiekid

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Nottingham, UK
most expensive wireless mouse!

it's cool but not worth that kind of money to myself. I have a ProControl and a Mackie Control kicking around in the studio. If it was stretched over more DAW's like Cubase and Soundscape I would expect this to be that price but not now.

Still..very interesting and can't wait to see how that develops.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
most expensive wireless mouse!
it's cool but not worth that kind of money to myself.
Yeah, I have to agree... if the full version was $20-25, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat... but for $149... :rolleyes:

Would be *extremely* useful for when recording from another room, or soundbooth, etc. But other than that...

Maybe Apple will eventually come out with something like this as a free update to Logic. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
as longofest wrote,

you can turn on Airplane mode, and still turn on Wifi independently.

arn

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Looks pretty cool but I personally don't see the need for it. If it were less expensive maybe would give it a shot. Not saying it is or isn't overpriced, just at price for something that's not needed to begin with makes it more undesirable.

Also as long as wifi is on which works with phone in airplane mode won't be an issue

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
The comparison chart shows that only the $150 version has "updates planned." So the $40 version doesn't get updates? Disturbing!

-- N

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
The comparison chart shows that only the $150 version has "updates planned." So the $40 version doesn't get updates? Disturbing!

-- N

no, the $40 version only gets bug fix updates, not more features.... (READ!!)

ProRemote Light Edition does not include the Transport view and we do not have any plans to upgrade this edition, bug fixes only

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Agreed. At those price points, I def think there should be some sort of free trial period or something. This is still a significantly missing piece of the App Store experience. Hopefulyl Apple & vendors can figure out a way to implement some sort of trial basis for apps. Tho I somehow doubt we'll see this concept implemented.

As far as GSM noise, I too require all cell phones off when recording.
That said, wouldn't Airplane Mode suffice when/if using ProRemote?

Maybe I missed it, but is there more info about supported configs and versions of PT? I'm running PTLE 6.4(?) on a G4/500 in OS 10.3.8 (the highest OS that still supports my Digi001). Curious if ProRemote Lite is even an option for my setup...

**heads over to Digidesign forums**

MacOS X 10.4.x and greater, Intel or PowerPC. All versions of Leopard are supported.

ProRemoteServer is compatible with all versions of ProTools that run on MacOS X (LE, HD, M-Powered). Apple Logic is also supported unofficially. Official support coming very soon!

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
E-mailed the developer saying if the price were halved I'd be a customer, but at just $50 more for a dedicated hardware solution (tranzport) it's a no go for me. I've paid $150 for full featured Mac apps, but for an iPhone app? Sorry.

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
if this app isn't worth the price, then why are people buying this?

Because it's a dedicated hardware solution with real buttons and a real jog wheel. I have one, it's great, and the batteries last for YEARS. An iPhone app should cost much less, no manufacturing cost.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
MacOS X 10.4.x and greater, Intel or PowerPC. All versions of Leopard are supported.

ProRemoteServer is compatible with all versions of ProTools that run on MacOS X (LE, HD, M-Powered). Apple Logic is also supported unofficially. Official support coming very soon!

Thanks Drumjim85.
Mind linking me that info?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.