PDA

View Full Version : Using terminal to copy folders between computers

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 8, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty new to the terminal, but I know the basic commands of it. I can't figure out how to ssh into my home computer and copy directories from it to the computer I'm ssh'ing from. I know how to move folders on the computer I'm remote accessing to, and my local computer, but I can't figure out how to do it between computers.

I'd rather not install any apps on the computers, such as cyberduck or putty as these machines have pretty specific functions and I don't want to have to deal with any more software than I need to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 8, 2008, 05:43 PM
Come on guys, this has to be a pretty simple command, or setup.

theyellowdart
Aug 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
scp

So for example, scp File.txt username@server:~ will copy the File.txt to usernames home directory on server.

To do a folder you would use the -r tag. So scp -r Directory username@server:~ will copy the directory over.

man scp for more info.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much. Do you know of a site where I can find more information ssh commands?

theyellowdart
Aug 8, 2008, 08:13 PM
Well, scp isn't really a ssh command. It's a completely different program that uses ssh.

They really are two completely different things.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 8, 2008, 08:18 PM
Well, scp isn't really a ssh command. It's a completely different program that uses ssh.

They really are two completely different things.

When I use an app like cyberduck (using ssh) what command is it using to copy/move files? Or do is my understanding of the program a little backward?

theyellowdart
Aug 8, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm not to familiar with cyberduck, however if it's sending and receiving files via ssh, it's probably using scp to accomplish it.

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 8, 2008, 08:26 PM
oh alrighty, thanks again

SC68Cal
Aug 9, 2008, 12:47 AM
Thank you so much. Do you know of a site where I can find more information ssh commands?

man ssh

notjustjay
Aug 9, 2008, 05:28 AM
I thought CyberDuck was an FTP client.

And, all due respect, programs like FTP, ssh, scp are common (and generic) enough that a simple Google search would probably have answered your question much quicker than waiting for us on the forums... :)

TuffLuffJimmy
Aug 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
I thought CyberDuck was an FTP client.

And, all due respect, programs like FTP, ssh, scp are common (and generic) enough that a simple Google search would probably have answered your question much quicker than waiting for us on the forums... :)

It can do SSH (a little google search would have revealed that) :rolleyes:

notjustjay
Aug 10, 2008, 11:50 AM
It can do SSH (a little google search would have revealed that) :rolleyes:

Nice. ;)